PDA

View Full Version : Booked in again for sigmoidoscopy after bottling out of the first.

selphie
04-12-13, 20:15
Hi. I posted on here as i was scared of having a sigmoidoscopy. I suffer with very bad nerves and anxiety, but i have been having a lot of problems with my bowels for about 9 years now. Bleeding mucus, and really bad stomach cramps.

My problem comes and goes, but when i get the bad stomach cramps and the really bad bleeding i am bed ridden, you probably think i am exaggerating, but i am not, it really is pretty bad when i get it, and i do bleed a lot.

Well i was booked in for one in October, but as the time come i phoned them and then i bottled out.... I was so very ashamed of myself, and i really regretted not having it done, so i went back to the doctors and they said they would write to the consultant and tell them i am anxious and let them have a chat first.

I did and he said that i needed the sigmoidoscopy because it will tell them exactly whats wrong with me. I really need this procedure, and i left there determined i am going to have it. Its on the 21st of december.

He was really very nice and examined me, could not find anything but said he needs to see whats going on inside me..... so i really know i have to have it done.

Last night tho i had a really horrid dream, the procedure went wrong, punctured me bowel and i woke up sweating..... and really scared. I have been worrying all day again, I looked at my 2 year old worrying i will not be here at christmas and its all going to go wrong...... what the hell is wrong with me.:weep:

Why am i being like this, why cant i just face i need to have this for my children, but i cant stop worrying and thinking about it, over and over. I just do not want the time to come and i bottle out again..... I need to have this done, i know this, but i am trying so hard to face it and i cant.:scared15:

I really do not know what to do, or where to turn, I really feel i am letting everybody down including myself.......... I want to be strong.

Annie0904
04-12-13, 20:31
I get very anxious about things like this and when I went for my sigmoidoscopy I was so anxious that they moved me to first on the list. If I needed another I wouldn't be worried at all. I had no problems at all with it apart from a bit of wind after :blush:

selphie
04-12-13, 20:49
I get very anxious about things like this and when I went for my sigmoidoscopy I was so anxious that they moved me to first on the list. If I needed another I wouldn't be worried at all. I had no problems at all with it apart from a bit of wind after :blush:

Really, Is it not that bad??. I have been googling everything i can on it.... I suppose its the risks that goes with it. I keep thinking maybe i should ring them and change the appointment till after christmas in case anything happens:weep:.

It is reassuring hearing from others that have had it Xx

nomorepanic
04-12-13, 20:53
Selphie have a read of the posts in this sub-forum rather than googling and you will get an idea of what it involves etc

Annie0904
04-12-13, 21:00
The camera is so thin and flexible that you hardly feel it. It can be a little uncomfortable when they put air in but not painful. I actually watched the camera inside me on the screen and found it quite interesting but you don't have to. Risks are VERY rare but they have to tell you about them. The risks didn't even worry me as they are so rare.

selphie
04-12-13, 21:05
The camera is so thin and flexible that you hardly feel it. It can be a little uncomfortable when they put air in but not painful. I actually watched the camera inside me on the screen and found it quite interesting but you don't have to. Risks are VERY rare but they have to tell you about them. The risks didn't even worry me as they are so rare.

I know the risks are. I do not know why i am being so pathetic really, but yet it is and its keeping me awake at night.

I just want to be able to accept i have to have it and get over it. Thanks for taking the time to talk to me, I really appreciate that. Xx

---------- Post added at 21:05 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

Selphie have a read of the posts in this sub-forum rather than googling and you will get an idea of what it involves etc

I think i will. Thank you. Xx

susie
05-12-13, 20:19
don't be hard on yourself I know what your going through I have to go in for 1 day I know my angiograme must be done I had on before but im a bag of nerves worrying day and night about it I go in on the 19th dec we can do it if you need a chat please get intouch

selphie
05-12-13, 23:28
don't be hard on yourself I know what your going through I have to go in for 1 day I know my angiograme must be done I had on before but im a bag of nerves worrying day and night about it I go in on the 19th dec we can do it if you need a chat please get intouch

Thank you so much. I know i need this and i need to be strong. I woke up feeling positive this morning. I did not go to bed worrying myself sick about it.... I felt calm.

I did have a bit of panic today. Felt like i could not breath, but i think its because i am thinking about all the symptoms i have in the past.

Its horrible when you worry so much about everything all the time.

I looked at my boy who will be 3 in feb and he was singing christmas songs and telling me hes going to get lots of presents and he brought tears to my eyes.......

I just hate the feeling something will go wrong and he will be left without a mum and be sad at christmas...... But i know i need to have this exam....

I must keep strong:)

RyanS
09-12-13, 11:32
Hi the anxiety and nerves are terrible but the benefits of having the procedure done are huge. If you are extremely anxious speak to your doctor and find out what they can do for you. Can the procedure be done under general, would it help to explain it in detail or if you have a partner or loved one that would accompany you would it be easier. Doctors can make this experience less uncomfortable and worrying but need to be told these things.

AlexandriaUK
09-12-13, 13:54
Hi I don't get on as much as I would like to give support and get it of course :) but I have had 2 of these and I promise you that they are not as bad as you have talked yourself into believing its going to be, I had like you a massive amount of blood etc. and they knew it wasn't piles so 3 years ago they booked me in for a sig I was petrified couldn't eat sleep, couldn't communicate but I knew I had to have it done as my age and symptoms were all pointing to cancer, I went and the staff were all incredible and I was not in agony as I thought I would be, the consultant explained that the bowel doesn't feel pain as such its the air that they pump in that give twinges and the more you relax the easier it is for you, they have to use the air so that it expands the wall of the bowel and they can see the surface properly, I had 5 biopsies as well didn't feel them at all.
If you go docs and ask him for a one off dose of diazepam I am sure you will float through it, also diazepam as a one off is one of the safest drugs out their just addictive if you take it for more than a given length, I hope you have some one to go with you who has an understanding of your fears/anxiety's.
If you haven't then I am positive there will be some one in your area on this site who could take you and give you support.
Imagine how relieved you will feel when its done and you get the proper diagnosis which means you will also get the right meds to control/cure it.
My diagnosis was Ulcerative Hi I don't get on as much as I would like to give support and get it of course :) but I have had 2 of these and I promise you that they are not as bad as you have talked yourself into believing its going to be, I had like you a massive amount of blood etc. and they knew it wasn't piles so 3 years ago they booked me in for a sig I was petrified couldn't eat sleep, couldn't communicate but I knew I had to have it done as my age and symptoms were all pointing to cancer, I went and the staff were all incredible and I was not in agony as I thought I would be, the consultant explained that the bowel doesn't feel pain as such its the air that they pump in that give twinges and the more you relax the easier it is for you, they have to use the air so that it expands the wall of the bowel and they can see the surface properly, I had 5 biopsies as well didn't feel them at all.
If you go docs and ask him for a one off dose of diazepam I am sure you will float through it, also diazepam as a one off is one of the safest drugs out their just addictive if you take it for more than a given length, I hope you have some one to go with you who has an understanding of your fears/anxiety's.
If you haven't then I am positive there will be some one in your area on this site who could take you and give you support.
Imagine how relieved you will feel when its done and you get the proper diagnosis which means you will also get the right meds to control/cure it.
My diagnosis was Ulcerative Colitis and proctitis.

unsure_about_this
09-12-13, 16:05
Hi

I had one done in June this year and I was scared about it, but knew it was important what could be causing these abdominal pains. I told them I was nervous before beginning with the camera and they just kept talking to me, keeping me calm and helping me breath with the air.

As people have said it can be uncomfortable , I found it quite uncomfortable. I may have a small pouch on the small bowel it is a loopy thingy or could be a small tear or it may be nothing to worry for me. However my abdominal pains started with my Dad had to do his poop test bowel screening because of his age and his test result was fine.

selphie
16-12-13, 17:05
Thank you all for your replies. I have 4 days till i have it done. I am trying not to think about it, my brother said to me that worrying about it will make me worse, and he said worrying before the procedure is pointless as i cant do nothing about it, hes right about that so i am trying to stay calm.

I will probably be a bag of nerves on the day, i am just trying to be brave, and get to the day first.

I worry about everything, but now i think i just want to know whats wrong and i know by having this will give me the answers i need. xx

selphie
03-01-14, 15:10
I went for my sigmoidoscopy today. I hated it. I found it painful, and uncomfortable, and it felt like it went on forever.

I have early diverticula disease, they could not see anything else. They're not sure whats causing my bleeding, they say it could be bowel spasms.

I am relieved i finally know what i have after years of worrying.