PDA

View Full Version : Scared to take 1 tablet

Raphaels
05-12-13, 10:54
Hello all,

I have to have a CT Scan on Monday with the dye. Im worried about this but as I get anxious in hospital settings I'm told to take 1 beta blocker 1 hour before scan. As I'm afraid of anything to do with the heart you can guess how fearful I am. My tablet is Bisoprolol 2.5mg. I'm afraid of any reactions to it and it slowing my heart down so much that I'll be worse off than I am now. My plus normally is 60. I know my pulse rate will go up when I'm there but what happens afterwards when I leave and my pulse rate goes down. Will it continue to go down. Then I know ill sorry what effect it will leave on my heart. The consultant says not. But I have a problem believing them. Help.

russdownunder
05-12-13, 11:10
You'll be fine. I had a CT Scan with contrast and I took my Noten 50mg. (Atenolol) in the morning as usual before the scan. Is this your first scan with contrast injection? Are you worried about how it will feel when they inject the contrast? Please don't be. I'd go for one again just for the feeling when they inject the contrast fluid. It's kind of weird but nice at the same time.:)

Your pulse rate will look after itself as always. It will go up and down as it needs to. You body and brain takes care of that on auto pilot.

Remember the staff are well trained to look after you and make you feel at ease. Plus your surrounded by doctors!

Raphaels
05-12-13, 11:18
Russdownunder
Thanks for the reply. I'm not concerned about the scan or the dye as I've had it before. Just concerned about taking the beta blocker. I'm afraid as normally I have no raised pulse. It only goes high in hospitals and doctors. I'm afraid that as my pulse is not high what will it do to my heart afterwards. Will my pulse go even lower when I go home. I'm just afraid what effect it will have on my heart afterwards. I'm only taking the one dose. I'm just an idiot with nothing else to worry about. I've already posted have a brill holiday. Again thanks for replying to me. It means a lot to me.

russdownunder
05-12-13, 11:34
Your body will control your heart rate as I said. Plus your surrounded by medical professionals! Try not to worry too bad OK. When I'm in this sort of situation I just tell myself that these people didn't spend years of study just to be butt heads! They know what their doing and they do it everyday.:)

---------- Post added at 21:34 ---------- Previous post was at 21:27 ----------

I don't consider you to be an idiot. Just a person who is scared and needs reassurance.:)

Raphaels
05-12-13, 11:53
Thanks Russ

Fishmanpa
05-12-13, 12:21
I agree... don't worry about the beta blocker. I take them for my heart condition twice a day. They don't slow your heart down, they keep it from beating too fast. That's why some are prescribed for panic attacks.

Positive thoughts

russdownunder
05-12-13, 12:28
I take mine for high blood pressure. Been on them for years with no probs.

Pet59
05-12-13, 14:26
Hi there. Just wanted to let you know. I was prescribed concor (bisoprolol) last May after my husband was killed in a road accident. I didn't take them for fear that they would slow my heart too much. I was 34 at the time, Bp was 130/100 ish and pulse was 104 resting. I fought and fought and eventually last week, on Monday, my pulse went up to 124 and I bit the bullet and started them. I have taken them every day and they have helped so much. I no longer get the palpitations I had before which used to set off the fear of heart attack etc. my Bp is starting to stabilise although it does vary a great deal. I was so afraid to take them, 2.5mg also, but now I'm so glad. You will be fine.

Raphaels
05-12-13, 16:00
Thank you to all who replied. I do appreciate it very much. xxx