PDA

View Full Version : Can I Create My Joy Today

Tanner40
05-12-13, 12:29
Good Morning to everyone. I am beginning to learn that I am responsible for all of the ways in which I feel. Due to my reactions to events, symptoms, things said, etc..., my thoughts create my anxiety and my pain. My thoughts can and have kept me in a state of powerlessness.

So since I am ultimately in charge here, in control of my own life, what will happen if I take control for the better? Can I choose to have my reactions and my thoughts create joy for myself instead of anxiety? I believe that I can do this, and that is more than half of the battle.

This doesn't mean that I blame myself or be tough on myself for my past mistakes in dealing with my anxiety. This means that I be kind to myself and recognize that I have done the best that I could at any particular time, given the place I was at and given the person that I was at that point in time.

It does stand to reason though that I can't blame outside sources or outside events. I need to take responsibility for myself. If my thoughts can be changed, I can feel joy today. I, for one, am going to work very hard atnthis today.

nadimac14
05-12-13, 19:53
I love this, I'm trying to do exactly this. I'm in the midst of a bout of health anxiety waiting for test results and I'm fighting to not let it consume me. We simply cannot control what happens, we can only control our reaction to what happens. I am making an effort to choose positive, calm, rational thoughts (as much as I can). It isn't easy, if it was I wouldn't have suffered so long. But all we can do is try, right?
Good luck, have a good day :)

Rennie1989
05-12-13, 20:24
YES, YES, YES!!!!

I've recently come to believe that during the recovery process, especially with anxiety and depression, you have a fantastic opportunity to reinvent yourself. Since my recovery I've become more passionate with my writing and feel more motivated to do things. I think having a clearer mind allows this to happen. I've noticed a change in me, I'm speak more articulately (probably because I'm a writer) and have a mature outlook on things, like taking ones job more seriously and thinking about the future financially. I'm happy with the way I've changed because that's what and who I wanted to be.

The responsibility bit I very much agree with. We can bitch and moan that our anxiety is taking over our lives but, unlike physical illnesses and conditions, we have to be very much more responsible for our recovery. No therapist can go into our heads and change how we think, it's up to us to do that. We have to be responsible with our sleep, diet, exercise and general well being. That, in itself, helps massively with recovery.

Tanner40
05-12-13, 22:34
Glad that the idea resonated with both of you. I definitely find myself to be changing, Rennie. It's so hard to see when you're right in the midst of the anxiety, but all of the bitching and moaning seems the way to go at the time. It is so devastating to our psyches though. Fake it til you make it, and then you won't have to fake it anymore.