PDA

View Full Version : PANIC mode! Think I went through a red light yesterday.

GirlAfraid23
05-12-13, 15:21
I was driving at night yesterday and as the lights turned to Amber I drove through them.
It was very tight if I had stopped and I could have caused an accident.

I didn't notice a flash or anything but when back afterwards to look on google earth, there is a camera there. It's quite far away so I don't understand how it would see my number plate but obviously that's how it is set up.

I keep thinking back and I can't remember a flash.

Scared! :(

---------- Post added at 15:21 ---------- Previous post was at 14:58 ----------

What can I do?! Don't know if I can wait 2 weeks.

Annie0904
05-12-13, 15:23
You said they had just turned to amber so that is fine, you didn't go through a red light you went through an amber one.

GirlAfraid23
05-12-13, 15:31
No they had been amber for a little while but as I approached they were still Amber. I can't remember if they were amber or red as I went through :(

nomorepanic
05-12-13, 15:38
There is nothing you can do about it now - just see what happens.

If it was just going to red you should be fine

GirlAfraid23
05-12-13, 15:43
Can I contact the police and ask them?

Fishmanpa
05-12-13, 16:07
Can I contact the police and ask them?

You can but I sure wouldn't! ;) Read Nik's response again......

Positive thoughts

danj
05-12-13, 16:18
I'd like to suggest 2 things:

1. Think of the worst case scenario, is it really the end of the world?
2. Your panic over this flash is probably a distraction from what is really going on with you (it's often the case with me). A therapist might be able to help with that.
3. A simple tip, when you start obsessing about this, try and change your thoughts to something else. after all, more thinking about it won't make a difference either way to the outcome. Therefore replacing the thoughts with something nicer can only help.

Also, remember to breath!

Dan

GirlAfraid23
05-12-13, 16:30
I'd like to suggest 2 things:

1. Think of the worst case scenario, is it really the end of the world?
2. Your panic over this flash is probably a distraction from what is really going on with you (it's often the case with me). A therapist might be able to help with that.
3. A simple tip, when you start obsessing about this, try and change your thoughts to something else. after all, more thinking about it won't make a difference either way to the outcome. Therefore replacing the thoughts with something nicer can only help.

Also, remember to breath!

Dan

I understand all that and it's probably all true but it still doesn't help me panicking.

I will only have been driving a year this month. Next week in fact and if I get 6 points overall int he first two years, I will have to re-take the test. These are the rules out in place from 1997. New drivers act apparently.

Do you get caught if your back wheels are going over the line at red but you went through visually on an amber?

---------- Post added at 16:30 ---------- Previous post was at 16:28 ----------

Also, would I have seen it flash? Especially at night as it was.

almamatters
05-12-13, 17:15
Hi Girlafraid I would not worry too much about this, I don't think there is a driver out there who has not done this at one time or another. Try not to dwell on it.

Rennie1989
05-12-13, 17:17
People drive through red lights here more times then I've ever seen before, and nothing ever seems to happen. If you drove through them at amber then it doesn't matter, even if they were red for a second. It's more dangerous to put the emergency brakes on to stop at a red then it is to simply drive through them, if they change suddenly.

What are panicking about? Are you worried about getting a fine?

GirlAfraid23
05-12-13, 17:37
People drive through red lights here more times then I've ever seen before, and nothing ever seems to happen. If you drove through them at amber then it doesn't matter, even if they were red for a second. It's more dangerous to put the emergency brakes on to stop at a red then it is to simply drive through them, if they change suddenly.

What are panicking about? Are you worried about getting a fine?

Fine and points. But more the points because of my insurance and as I've only been driving a year, it will be another 3 and I'll be out.

---------- Post added at 17:37 ---------- Previous post was at 17:37 ----------

Hi Girlafraid I would not worry too much about this, I don't think there is a driver out there who has not done this at one time or another. Try not to dwell on it.

Even with the camera there?
:( it's hard not to dwell though. I feel like a criminal.

Rennie1989
05-12-13, 17:40
It is incredibly unlikely that they will fine you or issue you points for that. Even if they did you could easily argue the toss and get it revoked. It's important to try not and dwell on it. What will dwelling do? Keep your mind active and push through.

Edie
05-12-13, 17:48
There is nothing you can do about it now. You're not a criminal, and you will learn from this and be ready to stop next time. If the worst comes to the worst, you may end up with 3 points, that's really not the end of the world. Worrying won't change what will happen. Seriously, everything is going to be fine :hugs:

almamatters
05-12-13, 17:52
I have to agree with the other posts , I think it is unlikely you would get points or a fine for this. I do a lot of driving and I see drivers blatantly go through red lights all the time. I know yours was accidental so try and forget about it, we all make mistakes.

GirlAfraid23
05-12-13, 18:24
I will try.
I've only been driving a year, don't want points already.
Thanks guys. Guess I'll have to wait it out.

How long till you hear from the police normally?

almamatters
05-12-13, 18:29
Not sure if this is true but when I had a similar incident a few years ago I was told that you hear within 14 days (for traffic related issues) it may have changed since then though. x

Annie0904
05-12-13, 18:41
A friend of mine was caught speeding a couple of weeks ago and he got the letter 3 days later.

Fishmanpa
05-12-13, 19:03
Ok... here's the deal. It happened and there's nothing that can be done about it. If you don't hear anything then you dodged a bullet and learned a lesson. If you do? Put on your big girl pants and deal with it. No amount of reassurance, speculation or trying to predict when you'll know can change the fact that you're going to worry about it unless you decide and have the power to put it aside and move on.

S(#* happens... such is life.

Think positive thoughts and hope for the best.

GirlAfraid23
05-12-13, 20:01
A friend of mine was caught speeding a couple of weeks ago and he got the letter 3 days later.

That's quick. Ok then, well at least if it does come it shouldn't take too long.

Did he go on a speed awareness course?

---------- Post added at 20:01 ---------- Previous post was at 20:00 ----------

Ok... here's the deal. It happened and there's nothing that can be done about it. If you don't hear anything then you dodged a bullet and learned a lesson. If you do? Put on your big girl pants and deal with it. No amount of reassurance, speculation or trying to predict when you'll know can change the fact that you're going to worry about it unless you decide and have the power to put it aside and move on.

S(#* happens... such is life.

Think positive thoughts and hope for the best.

I know that's how normal people think but I do struggle with rational thought processes. I hope it isn't going to ruin the build up to Christmas for me.

Fishmanpa
05-12-13, 20:06
I know that's how normal people think but I do struggle with rational thought processes. I hope it isn't going to ruin the build up to Christmas for me.

We're all whacked to one degree or another. Some more than others but again, such is life. Like for instance... I happened to get the diseases so many fear... Ehh... wadda ya gonna do? Are you getting help with your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

Rennie1989
05-12-13, 20:19

It takes time to retrain your mind to realise that these thoughts are irrational and to keep focus on the rational. It will only ruin your Christmas if you let it.

Annie0904
05-12-13, 20:19
Yes he is going on the speed awareness course.
Really it is not worth worrying about.

GirlAfraid23
05-12-13, 20:34
Ok thanks guys. Hope they have a course for running a red light too in case.

GirlAfraid23
06-12-13, 11:06
Still in a bit of a panic this morning but trying to keep calm. Although its hard! X

HoneyLove
06-12-13, 12:07
What techniques have you been using to help manage the panic/anxiety GirlAfraid?

I see many people here talking about trying to keep calm, but often this is hard because they're just bottling up how they feel. It would be better if you learned a technique to help you relax or cut off the panic. Daily relaxation/meditation will also help you to stay calm.

GirlAfraid23
06-12-13, 14:31
What techniques have you been using to help manage the panic/anxiety GirlAfraid?

I see many people here talking about trying to keep calm, but often this is hard because they're just bottling up how they feel. It would be better if you learned a technique to help you relax or cut off the panic. Daily relaxation/meditation will also help you to stay calm.

I take bachs rescue remedy and try to do some rational thinking but it's hard, especially in a case like this one.

It's the waiting around I can't bear.

HoneyLove
06-12-13, 14:48
If you really want to deal with the anxiety then you'll need to do a little more than the flower remedies and rational thinking. I know how hard rational thinking can be when you're dealing with irrational fears and worries.

Have you thought about CBT? Or counselling?

Or daily relaxation methods like meditation?

GirlAfraid23
06-12-13, 15:42
I was seeing a counseller for a long time but he didn't think I needed to see him anymore as had improved.

HoneyLove
06-12-13, 15:58
Well considering you're still struggling with anxiety it would be a good idea to look into seeing him again. Or have a look around for CBT therapists in your area, it will help you with that rational thinking.

GirlAfraid23
06-12-13, 16:25
Do you think I'm being irrational about the red light camera then? I'm not making it up, it was definitely there.

Fishmanpa
06-12-13, 16:31
Hey there Girl...

Here's a link to a free on-line CBT program http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=131664

It has worked for several members. It's certainly worth a look see.

Positive thoughts

HoneyLove
06-12-13, 16:32
It's not at all irrational to wonder about the camera.

It is irrational to go into panic mode and obsessively worry about it - do you see what I mean?

Not only that, but considering that you post here regularly about things that give you high anxiety, it would be a good idea to see what you can do about treating the root of all of that. Wouldn't it be good to get some release from the weight of all the worry x

GirlAfraid23
06-12-13, 16:36
My last CBT counseller thought I was in a "better place" than when I first came to him as he put it. So I'm only going by what he said. But ok I will try again.

HoneyLove
06-12-13, 16:42
Well, what do you think yourself? Personally how do you find your levels of anxiety?