PDA

View Full Version : Anxiety/Citalopram/Sexual problems

fincz
05-12-13, 16:51
My first post. I'll begin with the background.

I've always been a bit of a worrier about my health but fortunately never had to face real threats until 2 years ago.

September 2011 - blood in urine. Blood test found raised PSA which was put down to an enlarged prostate. Developed persistent headaches and dizziness. Medication failed to reduce PSA.

September 2012 - prostate biopsy showed early stage prostate cancer.

December 2012 - radical prostatectomy (nerve sparing procedure). Fantastic result - no erectile problems and no incontinence. Headaches and dizziness subsided after surgery. About 4 weeks taking it easy and then back to work feeling absolutely wonderful. Pathology results good - no cancer cells detected in any of my removed bits (seminal vesicles and several lymph nodes) except the prostate itself

May 2013 - Haemmorrhoids :( Convinced myself I had colon cancer. Headaches and dizziness came back with a vengeance. Haemmorrhoids cleared up but headaches and dizziness continued.

August 2013 - Panic and shakes. Doc prescribed Xanax (alprazolam) to deal with emergencies. Worked well but reluctant to take it every day because of risk of addiction.

October 2013 - Doc prescribed Cipralex (escitalopram). After about 4 weeks, the headcaches went but still had some dizzy days.

November 2013 - My PSA has increased. Doc said it could be just a lab error, otherwise some cancerous prostate cells might have escaped and have taken up residence somewhere else. Waiting for another blood test at the end of January. Nothing I can do except wait.

But, since May my libido has suffered and got worse on Cipralex along with erectile problems.

As of February this year, I'm single, living in a foreign country and very socially isolated which is making the health anxiety so much more difficult to deal with.

Doc now wants me to change to Citalon (citalopram) because of the sexual problems. Of course I've googled, and there doesn't seem to be any advantage over Cipralex. Any experience with both of these?

fincz
09-12-13, 18:52
Hmm, was it something I said?

Pipkin
09-12-13, 19:04
I'll move your thread to the male personal issues forum to see if someone there can give you some advice.

Pip

fincz
09-12-13, 19:08
OK thanks :)

Beagle
18-12-13, 12:37
I am on citalopram and it has reduced my libido considerably. I've not found it a problem as my libido used to peak as part of my depression/anxiety and cause lots of problems, so I was happy with the stable, even if low, libido.