PDA

View Full Version : going on holiday with anxiety

Izzie2494
05-12-13, 18:04
I am going to France tomorrow, flying there and staying til Sunday. I'm not going for long at all but I am still stressing about the flight and being in a different country, away from my home. Does anyone have any calming tips or things they can suggest to help me try and keep calm and enjoy myself?! Xx

lizzie29
05-12-13, 19:04
Take plenty to do - music, books, magazines, puzzle books, etc. Try to make sure you sleep well and eat regularly, as not eating could make your anxiety worse. I find bachs rescue remedy helpful too.

But most of all, have an amazing time! You'll feel so great when you come back that you've done it.

Annie0904
05-12-13, 20:29
What Lizzie said :D Have a great time :)

Tanner40
05-12-13, 23:00
I recently went on a long holiday and knew that it could possibly make me anxious. I sat down and wrote about all of the things that could possibly happen and what I could do to make myself more comfortable. I had a list of coping mechanisms that I posted about in a thread on the forum. I used those coping techniques and posted about my trip. I had a great deal of support from folks on here. I ended up having a wonderful time with no anxiety at all.
Enjoy your trip!

Rubicon
06-12-13, 00:33
Hi sweet.

I recently was hugely aprehensive about flying to and then staying in the Carribbean for two weeks. The worst, and main part, of it was 'what if i want to go home, but i can't?'

Well i can tell you with relaxation techniques/meditation, a couple of good books, and positive thinking i did it and dare i say it, had a nice time too :p A few bad moments but that's all they were, moments, and all of my catastrophic thinking 'i won't enjoy it, i'm dreading it, i will want to come home' turned out to be wrong.

Often with things like this we tell ourselves 'i'll do this and that when i'm better' when in actual fact it is doing those things which makes us better in the first place.

Hope this helps! If i can do it, so can you. Let us know how you get on? :-)

Izzie2494
06-12-13, 19:43
Hi everyone, thank you so much for the replies! I took on everyone's advice about distraction and downloaded my favourite tv program to watch, I was nervous going up but once in the air I was ok. Currently at the hotel, not feeling too bad, bit nervous as I get worried about bad things happening to me, especially when I am away! But so far not too bad, thank you all xx

lizzie29
06-12-13, 19:47
Well done! Try to enjoy it and not will the time away. X