PDA

View Full Version : Pupils different sizes?

Emmaa
06-12-13, 08:01
Hey guys,

So a few weeks ago I realised my right pupil was noticeably bigger than my left. Found myself in the eye casualty that night (was closed. lovely.) so went in the morning. They did all the tests and said everything was fine.. "sometimes it just happens" but the doctor didn't ease the anxiety at all. We left it with him saying "have a look at old photographs of yourself - you'll notice you'll have it in them" and despite me saying it's only recently it's come on, that's how it finished. I've been panicking constantly since. I booked a doctor's appointment and he had a quick look (it's a very intermittent problem and for this they were back to normal size) He pretty much dismissed it all and began talking to me about anxiety and getting myself back on medication. That's probably my 4th visit to the doctor in the last month!

I've got a huge anxiety about my eyes and it's not the first time I've found myself in the eye casualty with worries that have turned out to be nothing.

I started a new contraceptive pill a month ago so I'm wondering whether it's that that's somehow causing the difference in pupil size. As I said, it's very intermittent. Sometimes the right pupil is larger than the other - sometimes the left. I find myself always getting out my mirror and having a look and can't seem to walk by one recently without seeing how my pupils are in size. Every time I see they are different, a huge wave of panic hits me and I'm ready to call the doctors.

Sorry for the essay! I struggle hugely with anxiety.. 8 years on and I'm still walking around feeling as if I'm going to faint and my heart's going to beat out of my chest. This isn't helping!

Fishmanpa
06-12-13, 11:52
Hey guys,

So a few weeks ago I realised my right pupil was noticeably bigger than my left. Found myself in the eye casualty that night (was closed. lovely.) so went in the morning. They did all the tests and said everything was fine.. "sometimes it just happens" but the doctor didn't ease the anxiety at all. We left it with him saying "have a look at old photographs of yourself - you'll notice you'll have it in them" and despite me saying it's only recently it's come on, that's how it finished. I've been panicking constantly since. I booked a doctor's appointment and he had a quick look (it's a very intermittent problem and for this they were back to normal size) He pretty much dismissed it all and began talking to me about anxiety and getting myself back on medication. That's probably my 4th visit to the doctor in the last month!

I've got a huge anxiety about my eyes and it's not the first time I've found myself in the eye casualty with worries that have turned out to be nothing.

I started a new contraceptive pill a month ago so I'm wondering whether it's that that's somehow causing the difference in pupil size. As I said, it's very intermittent. Sometimes the right pupil is larger than the other - sometimes the left. I find myself always getting out my mirror and having a look and can't seem to walk by one recently without seeing how my pupils are in size. Every time I see they are different, a huge wave of panic hits me and I'm ready to call the doctors.

Sorry for the essay! I struggle hugely with anxiety.. 8 years on and I'm still walking around feeling as if I'm going to faint and my heart's going to beat out of my chest. This isn't helping!

Hi Emmaa,

As I read your post it was very apparent to me that indeed, your fears are anxiety related. I highlighted key parts of your post to illustrate that. The reason I did so is that very often in the posts I read, the mind is trying to rationalize the symptoms. And the main symptom is anxiety. It comes out in writing and would be the same if you were speaking, but at the same time, your mind is glossing over those words and only focusing on the symptom and fear.

8 years is a long time to be suffering :( Perhaps you should speak to your doctor about meds again or get a referral to CBT or try the on-line CBT offered here. One on one therapy may be helpful as well. There are several members that have achieved success in beating their anxiety. It's a matter of self determination and desire to do so. I can feel in your words your frustration and desperation. Although you can vent and get some reassurance from the forum in that you're not alone, it can't offer the cure you're ultimately seeking. That desire must come from within.

Positive thoughts