PDA

View Full Version : Thick mucus and probelms breathing

BeckyBop
06-12-13, 09:53
So I have been suffering with anxiety for a long time now but recently I have gotten really bad mucus in the back of my throat. It feels uncomfortable and coughing doesn't do anything at all. My nose is also a little stuffy and one of my biggest problems with anxiety is trouble breathing. So naturally, this really isn't helping. Had trouble getting to sleep yesterday as I felt like I couldn't breath/was going to stop breathing. I have always got quite bad mucus especially in winter but I was wondering if anxiety could be attributing and how to deal with it? Thanks :)

Soozarna
06-12-13, 10:17
HI becky, I have had this problem and its driven me into my depression. I too have a severe anxiety about being unable to breathe and the mucus makes me panic when it sticks at the back of my throat. What has helped me is that my mother has suffered with this for years and she explained that this mucus wont say there for long, gravity moves in down, and if you can just wait a few moments and relax it moves. Also, as soon as she stopped worrying about it, it seem to clear up. I know my mucus problem is caused by my anxiety and I have started on Citalopram which seems to be helping. I always carry a drink with me still but I am starting to relax a little. I also use the saline nasal spray if I get really panicky and this moistens the back of the nose/throat and you can use as often as you like.

BeckyBop
06-12-13, 14:09
Yeah it really panics me when it sticks to the back of my throat - it also seems to get worse when eating and the back of my mouth in general feels weird. I think it might the main cause may be a cold because my nose is a little stuffy but it causes me problems because i worry about my breathing and then when im anxious my chest gets tight which doesnt help :/