PDA

View Full Version : What Would I Say To A Friend

Tanner40
06-12-13, 12:27
Blip of a morning and I'm tired of it. I woke up feeling, nauseous, dizzy, anxious, with shallow breathing and a a feeling of impending doom. I feel like my mornings will never change. Intellectually, I know that this will change and that the "never thought" is purely an overgeneralization. All or Nothing thinking at it's best!

What would I say to a friend who felt this way?

I would tell them to quit worrying and to accept the feelings and the symptoms - to ride them out and that they will go away. I would tell them that thinking about their symptoms would only exacerbate the anxiety and fuel a panic attack. I would tell them that it is only anxiety and that anxiety can't hurt them. I would say that this is a perfectly normal way to feel in the mornings for someone with anxiety and depression. I would tell them to find a way to distract themselves and that they can still have a great day.

So why is it so difficult to talk to ourselves as we would a friend? Why is it a struggle to believe the words that we tell ourselves? Why is it so hard to stop the worrying?

I don't pretend to know the answers but I am still going to try to believe my rational inner voice today, even if at the moment the panic sounds in my head are louder than the tiny rational voice. I know that I'm not alone and many of you are feeling the same way.

I'm going to do my best to have a good day. Thanks for listening this morning.

Fishmanpa
06-12-13, 12:41
You'll do this because your inner rational voice is right. You'll do this because you want this for you and for your family. You'll do this because you now know how great it feels to be free of the burden.

Okay... so a switch flipped on for a bit. You're working on your wiring and you're making great progress. Fight back! Ride it out... It's FRIDAY! :D The weekend is coming and there's football on Sunday ;)

Positive thoughts!

MrAndy
06-12-13, 12:43
smile and the whole world smiles with you :D

Tanner40
06-12-13, 12:49
Thanks Fishmanpa and Andy! I will do this and I will smile through it. It's just a blip. Even folks without anxiety have stressful moments, and God only knows, my work has been intense and stressful this week.

Yes, Friday! And nothing much better than Sunday football. Who are your favorite teams, Fishmanpa?

HoneyLove
06-12-13, 13:09
Tanner on mornings like this it's also important to remind yourself that it's just one bad morning, but you've had plenty of good ones lately. A bad morning means nothing, it happens to everyone regardless of anxiety struggles, so don't let yourself dwell on it.

If it happens, don't let the fear sink in - you've been through these feelings before and you were always OK, so you know that you can handle it and that it WILL pass on :)

Continue being gentle, patient and kind with yourself, you're doing so well and are setting such a great example for everyone here xx

Fishmanpa
06-12-13, 13:24
Thanks Fishmanpa and Andy! I will do this and I will smile through it. It's just a blip. Even folks without anxiety have stressful moments, and God only knows, my work has been intense and stressful this week.

Yes, Friday! And nothing much better than Sunday football. Who are your favorite teams, Fishmanpa?

I'm originally from the Philly/S Jersey area so I'm an Eagles fan. Really glad to see Coach Kelly and Nick Foles doing well. I didn't expect it but the Eagles are a legit team at this point. Gonna be a big test this Sunday against Detroit. I'm now in Virginia and Redskins country ~lol~ Just wish I could get a good cheesesteak!

Positive thoughts

Tanner40
06-12-13, 14:00
Thanks HoneyLove! I'm doing okay, at work and just not letting it get to me. I know it's just a blip and will end up having a good day. I refuse to let anything get in my way of recovery.

Fishmanpa - I lived in Audobon, outside of Philadephia for about a year. Was transferred there for work for a short time. I'm an Eagles fan too, but love the 49'ers and the Saints.

Fishmanpa
06-12-13, 14:33
Small World Tanner. I lived in Cherry Hill most of my life... then apartments in Merchantville, "Audubon", and Woodbury... eventually buying a town home in Berlin before moving to VA.

I also root for KC as Andy Reid is their coach....As long as it's not the Cowboys we're cool ~lol~

Positive thoughts

Tanner40
06-12-13, 21:53
It is a small world indeed, Fishmanpa! And no Cowboy fan here.

I was patient, gentle and kind with myself today. It has ended up being a very good day. A blip can just be a blip, or we can allow it to spiral into anxiety.

I'm looking forward to this evening and the weekend. Cold, icy, and snowy here in Kentucky. Great night to relax with a movie and the family.

Fishmanpa
06-12-13, 23:23
Good going! Glad to hear your day went well. We're under a Winter storm watch here too. Looks like a good weekend to stay home and chill. Be safe, enjoy and Go Eagles! ;)

Positive thoughts