PDA

View Full Version : Night time anxieties

nomirawr1
07-12-13, 00:25
So, night time has always been a bit of an issue for me - in regards to anxiety. I've always been a little weird about what's going to happen when it's dark, despite the fact that there's never been anything happen to me.

Has anyone managed to overcome these type of anxieties?

Through the last 27 years I've had phases where I've been terrified of storms/lightning/rain/noises/general feeling of being in the dark/volcanic eruptions/bugs crawling on me, etc... all sorts of random things but only ever during the night. Most of them I'm totally ok with during the day, until dusk.

The current BIG issue is that I fear someone breaking into my house at any given moment. I've had the landlord put extra bolts on the doors, so they're all bolted/chained, so its pretty safe, but I still feel like someone could just break in at any moment during certain hours (midnight -4am).

At this point I feel like 27 years of *nothing* ever happening to me in the dark should be enough to allow me to stop feeling like anytime its dark I'm going to die a horrible death in lava or a house fire, or being shot by an intruder!

MissLady83
07-12-13, 02:38
Hiya :)

I was like this when I lived alone, I'd be convinced someone was going to break in. I'd hear alsorts of noises and convinced someone was downstairs, so daft! But it was just the pipes creaking, next door neighbours etc.

If your laid there expecting to hear something then your mind plays tricks on you. Listen to some relaxing music or put a DVD on. That helped me, also maybe a herbal sleeping tablet to relax you? :)