PDA

View Full Version : HA... chicken or egg?

hangingbasket
07-12-13, 20:55
ok so we know Health Anxiety shows itself in a whole host of aches/pains/symptoms/feelings. But what I'm wondering is for you, which comes first?
Do you have pains because you're suffering from anxiety? Or do you suffer from anxiety because you have pains?
For me I think it's the latter. My current fear is breast cancer (I lost my mum to it 7 weeks ago. She was only 55) and I'm suffering with all kinds of aches and pains in that area, rib cage, underarm etc. But I wouldnt be anxious about it, if the pains werent there.
So how can they be anxiety pains? When it's them that are making me anxious?
Its not until a pain hangs around for a while that I begin to panic about it and anxiety mode kicks in.
So which is it? Anxiety because of pain? or pain because of anxiety?

jesswilkie
07-12-13, 21:08
Well I can completely sympathise. In the past month I've felt really tired, I've felt thirsty, I've had aches and pains - so has my mum. We laughed about how we have the same thing. Two weeks ago she breaks her leg, earlier this week doctor admits he found cancer in it, yesterday told she has nine to 12 months to live. Guess what I'm thinking?!?
What do you think the chances are of both of us having the same as our mothers?
I have a pain in my knee as I write this.
If I really think about it, I think it's unlikely we have cancer, maybe we have a virus. But life hasnt been kind to us so I think it's fair for us to be cautious don't you think and think the worst. I totally sympathise with you though, am worried about the exact same thing :(

---------- Post added at 21:08 ---------- Previous post was at 21:04 ----------

I want to add I'm sorry I thought you were worried you had cancer, you haven't been worried that it was cancer, it's only me who has been, now I've re-read your post.
I think I"m losing it!!!!
But yes I think aches and pains are there first but anxiety over analyses it.
A doctor once told me that if you think about it really hard, just sitting down hurts your bum but your brain ignores it because it's normal. It's your brain looking for a reason to feel panicky I suppose, it's the panic that needs to be addressed. Maybe visit your doc?

hangingbasket
07-12-13, 21:11
Jess I'm DEFINITELY worried I have cancer! It's all I think about!!!! It got a bit easier when I was looking after my mum and too busy to focus on myself but now that I've lost her, I'm positive I'm going the same way she did and going to end up leaving my two little girls without a mother :(

jesswilkie
07-12-13, 21:20
oh god I'm the same then! I have two young boys - four and seven months - and every morning I look at them and think they might be motherless soon. It seems ridiculous seeing that written down because what are the chances? But there is every chance my brain keeps telling me... I don't feel like I trust the world right now (my dad died 18 months ago as well) and I think that's what you have too... I suppose it's our way of preparing ourselves for the worst and in a way it's a natural defense but also not particularly helpful. I did see a counsellor after my dad died and it helped so much. Maybe you should go to doctor and ask for one - I think I might do now.

---------- Post added at 21:20 ---------- Previous post was at 21:16 ----------

my husband rolls his eyes the whole time at all my various self-diagnosis, it helps if you can find someone to roll their eyes at you... in the past six months I've asked the doctor if I have a tropical disease, deep vein thrombosis, brain tumour, if my son has a brain tumour and now I have cancer. Jeez!!!!

hangingbasket
07-12-13, 21:41
Snap!! In the past 7 months I've asked my doctor about a brain tumour, cervical cancer, bowel cancer and now I'm worrying about breast cancer because of the family history and I think the grief of losing my mum has sent my anxiety into overdrive. I ache all day everyday and Im just tired of it. I'm terrified of leaving my girls without a mum. I'm 29 and hoping and praying the odds are in my favour :(