PDA

View Full Version : Headache/tendon/muscle spasms/pinching/throbbing at base of skull.

coloradodude
07-12-13, 23:21
Hey all, new to No More Panic, have long read many posts that brought me peace,and finally have joined! On one hand, I know others cannot diagnose conditions, that is what doctors are for. On the other hand, I have an issue I have taken to the doctor and a physical therapist neither of whom are very concerned at this point. I wanted to share my "back of head" headache symptoms to see if this fits anyone else too :wacko: I am sure my anxiety is making this worse because I am thinking the worst: blood clots/aneurysm,tumors, etc!

Here are my symptoms:
1. Sharp/tender/pinching pain on base of skull intermittently when I turn my head in any direction. To be exact the pain is at very bottom of base of skull and in the soft spot right below it.
2. Pain is only one sided. (right side)
3. Throbbing pain in same spots when I stand up that lasts for 3-5 seconds, seems to pulsate
4. When area at very top of neck/base of skull is in sharp pain, there is an extremely tender spot I can massage.
5. When area is not in sharp pain, the exact same spot is not tender.
6. When I shake my head for a few seconds, the pain dissipates.
7. Leaning forward at a computer, reading, etc. can bring on the stiff/sharp pains
8. Massaging area very temporarily relieves the pain.
9. Have been dealing with this for about 9 days. Does not seem to be getting worse.
10. Not sure if muscles relaxers or Ativan are helping, they might be?
11. No other symptoms but the headache/head pain. Not even sure if this is a headache.

Yes, I am worried, probably overly worried about this. Cheers all!

Fishmanpa
08-12-13, 03:26
Hi CDude,

Just wanted to say hello. There's a lot of good info here and support. Some very nice folks to boot.

Yes, we're not doctors or diagnosticians but based on the fact that your doctor and PT don't seemed to be concerned and the majority of your symptoms lean toward stress/muscle related issues, I would have to agree with the professionals. Sounds like a hot shower and some Icyhot might do the trick along with a break from the computer and possibly a massage to relieve the tension. Stress/anxiety can certainly be attributed to what you describe.

Are you being treated at all for your anxiety?

Positive thoughts