PDA

View Full Version : Debilitating fatigue

Ditapage
08-12-13, 08:19
Whenever I have had some amount of adrenaline coursing through my body (doesnt have to be a full panic attack) I am hit with awful fatigue that makes me feel like I am paralyzed. I look really tired in my face as well. And when I try to go to sleep when i feel this way, I wake up with a jolt, feeling panicked and sick and weak and my heart races and I feel like I'm dying. I've had blood tests. What the hell is this?

nomirawr1
08-12-13, 08:27
I have a similar experience after any 'adrenalin rush'... I get this awful sleepy fatigue and I physically have to sit down and close my eyes else I'll fall down.

I assume it's just the reaction of my body coming down from the adrenalin rush - but to be honest I'm not really sure.

I suppose I'm really no help, I hope you find some answers!

Rennie1989
08-12-13, 12:37
Adrenaline gives the body an energy boost, which means using the body's energy reserves. Once the adrenaline rush is over your body suffers from the energy burst and gets tired. Imagine doing the 100m sprint, you can run and run and run, but once the race is over you're knackered.

I understand how it feels to feel like you've run out of steam, it's not a normal tiredness you get after a long day at work, but a real apathetic kind of tiredness.

Try having a look at your lifestyle. Do you eat enough/too much and what of? Are you sleeping properly? Are you keeping active? Are you getting stressed for what ever reason?

PanchoGoz
08-12-13, 15:31
How "debilitating" is it actually? You will probably find you can still function near normal witht his tiredness, it's just a natural thing for your body to feel after adrenaline.

Tanner40
08-12-13, 15:34
I think Rennie hit the nail on the head here. It's a quite normal feeling after adrenaline has coursed through your body. For me, it's the reaction and the thoughts that I have that lead to the increased anxiety levels.

harasgenster
09-12-13, 01:52
I also had severe fatigue. Although for me it came on after a year of panic and stuck around for five years (grrr!) It really bothered me as well (although fortunately I didn't suffer from health anxiety) because it made life harder - I struggled at work and sometimes had to put my head down on the desk during lunchtime; sometimes just getting to the shops was impossible without several sits down on fences on the way. It was embarrassing, if nothing else.

But I saw a therapist and was told this is basically normal. You've knackered yourself out. The way I got round it was to stop getting frustrated about it and actually have a rest - take some time off work etc, don't work if you don't feel able to. I would never have allowed myself that before, but taking rest reduced that awful fatigue to just normal 'tiredness'. And normal tiredness I can cope with!