PDA

View Full Version : Introducing myself

SideEffectSusie
08-12-13, 17:04
Hi,

I live in Massachusetts. My psych nurse just switched me to mirtazapine instead of trazodone so that I would not lose any more weight. She did not, however, tell me to WEAN off. I have had a headache since at least Friday morning. Yesterday out in public I was having trouble walking, like I'd just had a pint of rum or something. The side effects of anger and hostility are not likely to win friends and influence people. I am having trouble sleeping, I am now taking pain meds, have gone back to taking a little trazodone. In addition to all this there are serious contraindications among most the drugs I am taking, seizure being the biggest concern. In the UK do they just tell you, "Here, take this. Stop taking that" or do they explain how to wean off and slowly start a new drug?

Mark13
10-12-13, 00:01
Hello and welcome to the site.

That purely depends on the Doctor. Many drugs I've tried it was recommended that I stop one, give it a day, then start the other. I've never experienced any major problems with them, but of course it depends on the drug.

Certainly I went from mirtazapine to trazodone for a month, then when that didn't work, straight back on mirtazapine. There were no obvious side effects, but I was on a low dose of each. My GP only arned me about duloxetine, telling me if it didn't work to wean off it slowly. Although in the end it made me feel ill so I stopped taking it and went straight off it. However I probably avoided withdrawal by being on mirtazapine as well.

Everyone has different degrees of tolerability of course, you should take your Doctors advice IMHO, but go back if their method causes you problems and they may agree to taper the drug.

cdmac
10-12-13, 01:53
hi all my names clive and i'm having a really bad time:weep: