PDA

View Full Version : Insrusive thoughts..fear of being bi-polar!

fairydust
08-12-13, 20:33
Hi everyone.

Quick intro. Suffered from GAD for most of my twenties.
Have been off and on Fluoxetine for years. I decided to come off them once and for all about six months ago.

It's been difficult at times as my moods go up and down but I've managed to stay off them.

I felt the anxiety coming back about 2 weeks ago.
I've been very busy doing a qualification for work. The deadlines have been very tight and it has caused me quite a lot of stress. At times, I have felt like I'd have to pack it in due to feeling overwhelmed but I fought on.

This is what I don't get...
The hard part is over. I just have to finish a few drafts and hand it in on Thursday. So why have I felt so awful this weekend?

I have stayed down my partner's house all weekend. He lives with his mum.
I went shopping with her Saturday and had a lovely day. But Saturday night,the intrusive thoughts started.

So strange...I felt like Adrenalin was bursting through me and I seriously felt like I would have to get up and dance or something to expel it.
It felt like I was on a 'high'.

But then when I calmed down and was watching a film later on, I kept having an old intrusive thought, which I used to get all the time about how something must have happened to me in childhood to make me develop anxiety. I felt like so panicky.

Today I have had a really low mood all day and I have been light headed and faint. At moments, I get that weird 'high' feeling again though.

Arrrgggh! I'm starting to get a bit scared I could be Bi-polar. I've started running through scenarios in my head of going to the GP and being diagnosed with Bi-polar.

I know all this is probably just anxiety! But I'm frightened that this a new twist in this horrible journey?

Does anyone have any thoughts?

Thanks xxx

Volvoman50
08-12-13, 21:32
Hi there, sounds just like anxiety, I have similar instrusive thoughts which are driven by anxiety which is when irrational thoughts take on such life because they are driven by adrenaline. Makes me anxious to read or watch programmes about mental health because I think I will develops them so avoid them which of course fuels the worry. One minute your rational and relaxed. Then thought comes in a anxiety takes off so perpetuating the thought and your concentration on it.

PanchoGoz
09-12-13, 14:53
Hi, I get preoccupied by this as well. I think it's just a misinterpretation of moods and adrenaline. You will feel fine when you are not thinking about it I bet?

danj
09-12-13, 16:25
Sounds all too familiar to me and does not sound like bi-polar.

BTW, dancing off anxious energy is a really good idea!

Dan