PDA

View Full Version : Paranoid Personality Disorder and Alcohol

ParanoidScotsman
09-12-13, 02:10
I have PPD and i got drunk at the weekend and cant mind much:blush: and now im thinking(sheer paranoia) "Oh no, What if i tried to attack a man or a woman between me leaving the pub and going to the kebab shop(5 min walk)" my anxiety is high:weep:

I also have

http://www.nhs.uk/conditions/Anxiety/Pages/Introduction.aspx

I feel so STUPID.

---------- Post added at 02:10 ---------- Previous post was at 01:24 ----------

I also suffer with Intrusive Thoughts.......could this be linked???

theharvestmouse
09-12-13, 18:22
Maybe you need to tackle your drinking habits, this is my opinion but alcohol is the worst thing to put into your body if you suffer from anxiety. From my own experience I remember the hellish days after nights out. I stopped drinking and I feel so much better for doing it.

PanchoGoz
09-12-13, 22:26
I don't really understand what paranoid personality disorder is as that just sounds like intrusive ocd thoughts to me? Who diagnosed you with that and are you having treatment?

ParanoidScotsman
10-12-13, 00:03
I don't really understand what paranoid personality disorder is as that just sounds like intrusive ocd thoughts to me? Who diagnosed you with that and are you having treatment?

A Psycharistrist at my local hospital diagnosed me with PPD

http://psychcentral.com/disorders/paranoid-personality-disorder-symptoms/

It truly is horrlible and so are intrusive thoughts, i actually think both are interlinked in someway.

I am on a waiting list to see someone.

---------- Post added at 00:03 ---------- Previous post was at 00:01 ----------

Maybe you need to tackle your drinking habits, this is my opinion but alcohol is the worst thing to put into your body if you suffer from anxiety. From my own experience I remember the hellish days after nights out. I stopped drinking and I feel so much better for doing it.

I care for my mother who has dementia and when i go for a break to wind down, trust me a few pints are well needed.

What Hellish days did you have after nights out? i know mine all too well.:weep::weep::weep:

Fishmanpa
10-12-13, 00:09
I agree concerning drinking and anxiety disorder. No matter how you want to rationalize it, drinking and anxiety isn't a good combination... add to that smoking!

Positive thoughts

Emphyrio
10-12-13, 01:12
My intrusive thoughts only really started after I began drinking. I wasn't drinking major amounts, but at times was drinking 2-4 pints most days of the week. I also drank whilst on antidepressants. I've generally found that I get a 'spike' of intrusive thoughts around 12 hours after drinking - I think its because the day after drinking we get a glutamate 'rebound' effect that typically brings increased anxiety.

http://science.howstuffworks.com/life/human-biology/hangover5.htm

I love a pint of beer or three but I don't think its been good for me at all. I'm starting new medication this week, but am also giving up alcohol completely for the short term as my anxiety has been pretty bad...I want to see if it makes a difference.

theharvestmouse
10-12-13, 09:58
The hellish days after the night before, all my anxiety symptoms magnified by a lot. Feeling that I was punishing my body, it was telling me to stop. Days spent not leaving the house, regrets, feeling depressed.

Since I stopped getting drunk it's no coincidence that my anxiety has improved, I wake up clear headed every day, my body feels good which in turn helps you function better and less anxious.

You'll never hear anyone saying they regret cutting down on alcohol or quitting drinking, because the benefits obliterate any short lived highs alcohol brings.

Rennie1989
10-12-13, 11:20
I understand how difficult it must be to care for your mother but alcohol is not a good pass time to relax. You should look at other means of relaxing, because if you start becoming dependent on alcohol you cannot care for your mother. If you're struggling with the care you can get outside help.