PDA

View Full Version : CBT - do it yourself

skippy66
09-12-13, 14:04
Some of you have posted regarding the really long CBT waiting lists. It's a popular therapy for HA but it's expensive and over-subscribed.

I'm going to tell you the 3 central themes of CBT so you can try it yourself without going to the sessions, or just while you wait for the sessions to begin:

1) Distraction - find something in your life that occupies your mind 100% and there will be no room for obsessive thoughts about your health.

2) Exposure - constantly challenge yourself to get out of your comfort zone and your comfort zone will slowly expand.

3) Acceptance - accept that you get all these scary symptoms, don't fight them, let them wash over you - you will soon lose the fear of them.

Mike

fruity
09-12-13, 14:17
great thanks. deffo need to try them.

hadenough
09-12-13, 14:20
Yes thanks Mike but the problem I have is that I dont understand the 'let the feelings wash over you' bit. Not sure if its because Im a bit thick but Ive heard this so many times and I dont really get it. :huh:

jimbobrooney
09-12-13, 15:08
i think that "Distraction - find something in your life that occupies your mind 100% and there will be no room for obsessive thoughts about your health. " is the most important one.

I had really busy job for 2 years and had no anxiety - now i am in a not busy job and my HA is terrible

Elen
09-12-13, 15:20
Good post yet again Mike.

There are also on line CBT courses which are good and free.

Sadly a CBT therapist can only give the tools to help but the actual job of getting better always comes down to us.

Speaking as someone who waited ages for CBT just to find out that I didn't gel with the therapist I would strongly recommend finding something yourself that works for you.

Elen