PDA

View Full Version : You will find something that works!!!!

Bamadfw
09-12-13, 21:10
I have been battling anxiety/depression for the last 4 months. Was on many meds and finally found one that works for me. I knew it the day I took it that it was going to help. I could just feel it. All I could think about up to that point was "nothing is going to work!!!" Well there is a med or combo of meds out there that works for everyone. You just have to be patient and listen to your GP or Phych. I did find it helpful to start seeing a phychiatrist after awhile. They just seem to have a better handle on these type of meds. Most of all, Please don't give up! You can and will push through this! Meds and counseling do work, just takes time to find the one for you. Try not to read too much on internet about meds not working for certain people. It means nothing. For every one person that says a med did nothing to help them there are 10 people that it worked great for. They are just too busy enjoying life again to be on here posting about it. Have faith and be strong!!

teej
16-12-13, 13:55
I am so very pleased for you. I love reading the success stories. 4 months though! Such a short amount of time.

Would you mind saying what you finally settled with medication wise?

I am on citalopram at the moment. I'm going to give it three months to see if it works but I'm very up and down at the moment.

Thank you for your story of hope.

Bamadfw
16-12-13, 23:28
Hi teej. I have actually have suffered for much longer. Initial episode was almost 14 years ago. Tried many medications back then to find the one that worked. Finally settled in with cymbalta. Took it for 13 years with no real problems. Then one days out a year ago I decided I didn't need them anymore. Big mistake!! Weened myself off in about a month a was doing fine. Then one day out of nowhere Boom!! It hit me like a ton of bricks. My old anxiety and depression came back. It was terrible. Way worse than the first time. I tried many diff meds this time around....effexor, citalopram, zoloft and cymbalta. Nothing worked. Just kept getting worse. After 4 months and finally going to see a phychiatrist, I was switched to Pristiq. I could tell a difference right away. I could feel it working the first day I took it. It was nothing short of a miracle. By the 3rd day on 50mg, taken in a.m., I was so much better I cannot even put it into words. Now at 2 weeks on and am doing better every day. Almost back to 100%. Take 30mg of mirt at night for sleep but really think I can ween myself off that soon. I highly recommend this medication. Not a generic in US yet so kind of expensive, but well worth it. Hope this helps. Let me know if you need anything else. Hope you are doing well. Will try to check in every day or so, so if you need to chat just let me know.

teej
17-12-13, 10:30
Thank you for your reply.

I have suffered what my doctor thinks is GAD for about a decade now since a car accident.

I've attempted to have it treated in the past - always with citalopram or escitalopram. Unfortunately no one ever explained how these drugs were going to work, nor that they would have crippling side effects with me - so I never stuck with them.

This time around I've stuck with the citalopram through all the side effects and I'm just starting Week 7. I've had some good weeks but unfortunately last week I was in a very stressful situation and seem to have gone backwards and now am very anxious again.

I'm now in a wondering about asking to increase the dosage or changing to something else. It's been so hard getting onto the citalopram that the thought of changing is horrible - especially with Christmas in the way - I don't want to be a complete mess when I see my family or friends.

I think I'm going to struggle through to the new year and see where things head from there. I'm speaking to the duty doctor today to see if there's something I can take to get me through Christmas whilst still functioning.

Since I've had alcohol problems in the past (because of the GAD) I've never been given diazepam - only hydroxyzine which just makes me sleep!

It's interesting you mentioned cymbalta though - that's come up twice this morning.

Thanks for listening. :)

Bamadfw
17-12-13, 20:40
You may want to give cymbalta a try. It is an snri which works on nueropenfrin as well as serotonin. Also may suggest giving pristiq a try. It works differently then any I have tried in th past.

teej
18-12-13, 11:33
Thank you. I'm not sure Pristiq is available in the UK yet!

I'm speaking with my real doctor some time today so will see how that goes and if he suggests anything.

SarahH
18-12-13, 12:24
Teej,

You may want to look into pregabalin...........I have PTSD/GAD.....

Sarah

teej
18-12-13, 13:28
Hi SarahH!

I was just reading your thread on pregabalin.

Just spoke with the doc and he wants to move me up to 30mg citalopram because I have seen some improvement on it - just not consistent.

Apparently there's a particular process that has to be followed with pregabalin being one of the last steps due to cost.

Guess I'm just going to have to keep plugging away. I'll keep pregabalin in mind though. Just terrified right now as it's been almost two months since I started on the citalopram and it's been a long two months!

T