PDA

View Full Version : Catastrophisation

pas74
10-12-13, 06:39
Is this a word? It certainly fits what I seem to be doing in having a tendency to make a drama or crisis out of situations before I've even started.

I was left the parental home after my mother's death almost two years ago after she suffered a massive stroke three years previous to that. It's been so stressful sorting through it, emptying it, dealing with her personal posessions. I've had it all to do by myself and am still dealing with her death (there is counselling to be had shortly). I really need to sell it in order to move on. The boiler no longer works,it has been looked at. My dilemma (to me) is that in order to sell the property should I have a new one installed but my mind thinks of the "what ifs". For example what if they need to pull up the carpets that's means more upset or what if when they start it's found the house needs rewiring. Stuff like that. I was left the car, it's sitting in the garage. It's not been looked at for over four years. The battery is dead. How do I get rid of it? Who do I ask.

I find it so challenging. Everything is so big. The more I think of it the more paralysed I become. I don't know what the answer is. Am I really making this out to be larger than it actually is. How do other people manage?

Edie
10-12-13, 18:07
Yes, that is a word. We have a strong tendency toward it.

I'm sorry you're dealing with all this, as well as your loss.

Jobs can seem unmanageable when you don't know where to start. Usually though, they can be broken down into smaller components which all of a sudden look possible. Breaking them down is the hard bit though! Do you have a friend or relative who might be able to help you with that?

Regards the boiler, personally I would not bother replacing it. It's unlikely the job would lead to discovering any more problems, but if it did then it's just more to declare to the purchasers. Simpler to just say that the boiler needs replacing and leave it at that. Let the purchasers choose what kind of boiler would suit them best - you can't necessarily anticipate their needs.

Cars are not my strong point! You could ask a garage if they will come out and replace the battery, and identify any other jobs that need doing to get it up and running before you sell it. Or you could contact a car dealer and ask if they will collect it as is. Or pay a recovery company to collect and scrap it. Alternatively, you could advertise it for private sale (either repaired, or as is). You would get more money through a private sale than a dealer, but a dealer will be simpler. Depends which is your priority. Personally, like the boiler, I wouldn't invest money in something I want rid of though. I would get rid of it as it is, rather than repairing it, if possible.

Good luck with everything!

pas74
10-12-13, 20:29
Yes, that is a word. We have a strong tendency toward it.

I'm sorry you're dealing with all this, as well as your loss.

Jobs can seem unmanageable when you don't know where to start. Usually though, they can be broken down into smaller components which all of a sudden look possible. Breaking them down is the hard bit though! Do you have a friend or relative who might be able to help you with that?

Regards the boiler, personally I would not bother replacing it. It's unlikely the job would lead to discovering any more problems, but if it did then it's just more to declare to the purchasers. Simpler to just say that the boiler needs replacing and leave it at that. Let the purchasers choose what kind of boiler would suit them best - you can't necessarily anticipate their needs.

Cars are not my strong point! You could ask a garage if they will come out and replace the battery, and identify any other jobs that need doing to get it up and running before you sell it. Or you could contact a car dealer and ask if they will collect it as is. Or pay a recovery company to collect and scrap it. Alternatively, you could advertise it for private sale (either repaired, or as is). You would get more money through a private sale than a dealer, but a dealer will be simpler. Depends which is your priority. Personally, like the boiler, I wouldn't invest money in something I want rid of though. I would get rid of it as it is, rather than repairing it, if possible.

Good luck with everything!

Thanks Edie for your advice. Breaking it down into chunks is what is needed. The house is for the most part stuck in a 70's time warp so would need a buyer with money and vision to drag it up to date. There's bound to be someone out there.

Meewah
12-12-13, 21:44
A lot of people love properties that need a lot of work as they can add value. The bottom line is you will get the current market value in its current state. I would ask the estate agent if he or she thinks it will add any value. Certain things are assumed by a prospective purchaser such as heating. The wiring may knock off 3-5k off the price but that's all.

I would put it on the market at a realistic price.

Good luck

Mee