PDA

View Full Version : Okay, pretty scary....lymph cancer :(

Nich
10-12-13, 22:14
Went to visit the doc today about swollen lymph nodes in my neck, had them for about 1 1/2 years, but have lately been feeling pressure on my neck. The doctor told me that he thought about booking me straight in for cancer tests...which really has me and my family worried to death.

I've had chest X-rays, blood tests in the past, and nothing, but i am so worried now! He mentioned nothing but cancer and it's making me worry that it's the only thing it could be....reassurance would be greatly appreciated..
Thank you!

Annie0904
10-12-13, 22:22
The only thing that will really reassure you is the results from the tests but just be aware that most GP's want to rule out worse case scenarios so that doesn't necessarily mean that the GP thinks you have cancer, he will just want to rule it out.

Nich
10-12-13, 22:27
The only thing that will really reassure you is the results from the tests but just be aware that most GP's want to rule out worse case scenarios so that doesn't necessarily mean that the GP thinks you have cancer, he will just want to rule it out.

Just worrying when they consider sending you in urgently for emergency tests...the pressure on my neck isn't helping with my worries. Still no appointments with the hospital because i went to the walk in clinic, and have to meet with my own GP tomorrow!

Annie0904
10-12-13, 22:39
Maybe your own GP will be able to explain things better for you, let us know how your appointment goes. Don't be too concerned about an emergency appointment especially when other tests before have been fine and you have had these for so long. The GP may just be over cautious.

Nich
10-12-13, 22:41
Maybe your own GP will be able to explain things better for you, let us know how your appointment goes. Don't be too concerned about an emergency appointment especially when other tests before have been fine and you have had these for so long. The GP may just be over cautious.

Thank you for the reassurance, just wish i could be tested now and find the results! aha

Thanks again, ill let you know :yesyes:

Annie0904
10-12-13, 22:44
I know it is awful when we start to worry about something. I have a mole that the doctor is keeping an eye on, I noticed one day it had changed colour and the doctors were closed for training. I felt like banging on the door for them to look at it!! It was fine in the end, I had just knocked it :doh:

Nich
10-12-13, 22:45
I know it is awful when we start to worry about something. I have a mole that the doctor is keeping an eye on, I noticed one day it had changed colour and the doctors were closed for training. I felt like banging on the door for them to look at it!! It was fine in the end, I had just knocked it :doh:

It's probably nothing, i mean i've had them so long, surely i'd have had more problems by now. Just so easy to worry, especially when a doctor says something that serious!:hugs:

Annie0904
10-12-13, 22:52
You are right...if you have had them that long you would have had other problems. In my experience the doctors at the walk in centres are not always the best...I am sure your own GP will put your mind at rest :)

Nich
10-12-13, 22:53
You are right...if you have had them that long you would have had other problems. In my experience the doctors at the walk in centres are not always the best...I am sure your own GP will put your mind at rest :)

Thanks again, wish that doctor was as reassuring as you :yahoo:

robin321
10-12-13, 23:05
A few yrs ago I had 3 swollen lymph nodes in my neck. The dr said "it isn't necessarily cancer" and that through me into a depression because she didn't say "probably".
Well it wasn't, and I was fine. Sometimes doctors aren't as tactful as they can be + we read into what they are saying and magnify it.

Nich
10-12-13, 23:08
A few yrs ago I had 3 swollen lymph nodes in my neck. The dr said "it isn't necessarily cancer" and that through me into a depression because she didn't say "probably".
Well it wasn't, and I was fine. Sometimes doctors aren't as tactful as they can be + we read into what they are saying and magnify it.
I'm glad that someone else has experienced the same symptom, i've had them so long that I'm concerned that if they do find something, it'll be uncureable...

But i have seen the doctors a few times about it, and they haven't seemed concerned until now

Fishmanpa
10-12-13, 23:28
Hi Nich,

I know the feeling... "The Waiting is the Hardest Part" Tom Petty. I've been there and done it and the results weren't good. BUT... I'm still here to write about it and I was diagnosed stage IV! More than likely they'll do a FNAB (Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy) as it's the only way to determine if the nodes are cancerous. Bloods will be done as well.

Having been there, the rule is "It's not cancer until they say it's cancer". I find it irresponsible for a doctor to say "cancer" like that without tests, scopes or further exams. I had exams and a CAT scan prior to seeing an ENT that did a scope and said he thought it was cancer based on his experience and did the FNAB to determine what type.

I know it sucks, but all you can do is wait to find out. I'll be sending positive vibes and prayers...

Positive thoughts

Nich
10-12-13, 23:33
Hi Nich,

I know the feeling... "The Waiting is the Hardest Part" Tom Petty. I've been there and done it and the results weren't good. BUT... I'm still here to write about it and I was diagnosed stage IV! More than likely they'll do a FNAB (Fine Needle Aspiration Biopsy) as it's the only way to determine if the nodes are cancerous. Bloods will be done as well.

Having been there, the rule is "It's not cancer until they say it's cancer". I find it irresponsible for a doctor to say "cancer" like that without tests, scopes or further exams. I had exams and a CAT scan prior to seeing an ENT that did a scope and said he thought it was cancer based on his experience and did the FNAB to determine what type.

I know it sucks, but all you can do is wait to find out. I'll be sending positive vibes and prayers...

Positive thoughts
Thank you for your positive thoughts. My main concern is being diagnosed at such a late stage that its terminal. My mind is totally focused on it unfortunately and i am hoping that they can get the tests done fast!I have had a chest X-ray/bloods and it showed nothing, so this is making me feel a bit more positive.

The thought of cancer at 19 is madness! My body can't just be normal! aha :weep:

Fishmanpa
10-12-13, 23:38
You're 19? Sheesh! That tilts the odds heavily in your favor that it's not sinister. Having been there for so long and docs checking in the past and not being concerned is quite positive too. Wait to see what your GP says....

Positive thoughts!

Nich
10-12-13, 23:41
You're 19? Sheesh! That tilts the odds heavily in your favor that it's not sinister. Having been there for so long and docs checking in the past and not being concerned is quite positive too. Wait to see what your GP says....

Positive thoughts!
Just wish that the GP i saw today didn't mention the C word, of course it's going to make me panic. Hope that tomorrow helps clear some things up.

Thank you for your kind words, i appreciate it and the reassurance will help me sleep easier! :hugs:

Nich
11-12-13, 16:46

Just to let you know I am being sent for a neck ultrasound, but the GP wasnt concerned as much that they were cancer. She believes the discomfort is from acid reflux effecting my throat. Hoping for results soon!

Fishmanpa
11-12-13, 17:05
Keep us in the loop!

Positive thoughts!

Nich
11-12-13, 23:42
Keep us in the loop!

Positive thoughts!

Will do! This doctor assured me that lymph nodes often raise and never go down, possibility its my thyroid thats the problem!

More at ease than yesterday at least!:yesyes:

Nich
24-12-13, 22:47
Update! Had an ultrasound on my neck today, and the man said that they were reactive lymphs, all exactly the same size. He seemed pretty sure!

rebeccad
24-12-13, 22:49
Oh congratulations the best Xmas gift you could have got , now enjoy the festivities x

SUPERXERO
25-04-14, 11:32
Did she have cancer?

SUPERXERO
25-04-14, 16:07
??