PDA

View Full Version : My experience with zoloft

helena8888
11-12-13, 02:34
Hi everyone, I am new on this site, glad I found it :D
I started to have panic attacks last august after complication of a sinus surgery. I was spiraling down to a point where I could hardly sleep or eat and going to work everyday was a challenge. I started CBT but this was not enough to pull me up so my pdoc proposed zoloft which I gladly accepted despite being anti-medication (like most of us I guess...).
He started me at 50mg and asked my to take 100mg after a week. I did not take the 100mg I stayed at 50mg because the first 3 weeks were a nightmare. My anxiety was even worst than pre-medication, and one of the worst day of my life was they day after I had 2 glass of wine.
To help me sleep I was given a limited number of sleeping pills. I tried taking benzo at the begining but after the effect faded away (3-4 hours) I would wake up with a huge panic attack so I never took them. When I told my pdoc about the bad 3 weeks I had he seemed surprised, so I started to loose confidence in him. I also was never told what to expect on this medication.
After 3 weeks I started to feel better with good days and bad days. I did not need the sleeping pills anymore. I was sleeping quite well despite waking up quite early in the morning (around 5-6am). Meanwhile my sinus problems were solved so I stopped focusing on that.
After 4 weeks I had more good days than bad days still a bit tensed in the morning when I woke up but that went away after I started the day.
After 5 weeks I was good, my old self. Happy and glad to be feeling so good. I had to be rushed to ER in the middle of one night because of UTI and I thought this is going to put me down but no. I took my medecine and did not give it a second thought.
After 6 weeks I told myself, since the cause of my anxiety is gone, I should be able to do without the meds. I had a few CBT sessions and thought I could handle my anxiety if it came back. I went to see my GP (I did not want to see my pdoc) and told him I wanted to wean off. He said since you are good why not. So I decreased to 37.5mg for 10 days. Slight increase of anxiety for a few days but I managed to talk myself out of it.
Then 25mg for 10 days. I was OK. One morning had a kind of adrenalin rush and was a bit lightheaded the whole day but next day I was fine. So I continued. Went down to 12.5mg, was Ok for 10 days then I had a gastric flu, my nose felt weird to me, stomach pain and I started to have anxiety again. Not as bad as what I had at the begining but enough to give me adrenalin rush and feel uneasy throughout the day.
This is how I am now and I almost regret coming out the medecine after only 1 and a half month. I don't know if what I am experiencing now is withdrawal symptoms or my anxiety coming back. I was feeling so good 1 week ago and now feel miserable to have gone backwards. I'll give it a few days, still taking my 12.5mg daily and will meet with my doc to see if I should up the dosage again.
Sorry for the long story !
Helena

luisa1974
11-12-13, 13:40
Hi Helena

I have just started taking sertraline this my second week on 50mg and feel worse than ever! My doctor has just prescribed me benzodiazepines but don't want to take them as don't want to get addicted. It was good to read you felt better and hopefully in time they will work for me too. How was you taking the benzodiazepines? Did they help?

Ally-SA
11-12-13, 15:57
Hello

I'm on 3 weeks of 50mg now - and am feeling much better! It was quite hard for the first two weeks or so... so hang in there! x

luisa1974
11-12-13, 20:48
Hi Ally, I spoke to my psychiatrist today and she said it will take a good two weeks to feel any benefit. A week feels like a life time I feel that I am existing and not living. My day to day life is dull, the only thing keeping me going are my two beautiful kids. I just want to be a proper mum to them, I don't want them to remember me when they are older as the mum that stayed in bed all day. I really want my life back to how it was, I don't think that is too much to ask! I hope things improve dramatically cause I am fed up feeling like this. Do you ever think to yourself how the hell did it get this way. I look out of my window sometimes envious of all the people getting on with their life's. Sorry to bore you all but needed to get that off my chest! Good luck to you all x x :bighug1:

helena8888
12-12-13, 02:34
Hi Luisa,
I do not react very well to the benzo, I tried 3 different ones. Everytime I take them I feel sort of better for a while then when the effect fades off I have a panic attack so I should be taking them non stop every 3 hours which was out of question. But this is me, everyone reacts differently and many people find them useful during the first weeks of zoloft. Doctor told me max 2 weeks on a very regular use. You won't get addicted if you take them once in a while for emergency.
I know the first weeks seem to be an eternity I was counting the days and I was also looking at other people and thinking how lucky they were to be "normal". Hang on it will get better gradually.
Ally, nice to read that you are feeling better !
As for me I had a roller coaster of emotions yesterday it was tiring. But this morning I got up and was fine. Maybe if was the flu virus that put me down emotionally.
I will stick to 12.5mg for now, too afraid to stop. Anybody has experience weaning off 12.5 mg ? Better cut the dose in 2 of stop completely ? (not easy to cut a 50mg pill in 8 !). My doctor was saying 12.5 mg is nothing so I can stop but I have the feeling I am still reacting to it.
Helena

Ally-SA
12-12-13, 10:52
Luisa - btw, I did not take any benzo's with my meds. But I did go very slowly when it came to upping the dose. I stayed around 12.5mg for a couple weeks, and then 25mg for over a month before going to 50mg. So it wasn't too bad. And yes - I wonder all the time what happened... hehe Don't dwell on it for too long though. Look forward, and keep going...

Helena - When I came off the meds around Feb, I tapered down slowly - and if you are at the 12.5mg stage, then I think you can come off them. But see how YOU feel. When you feel ready, then do it. There is no right or wrong way - as long as you come off them slowly. But yes - 12.5mg is quite a low dose. What I did is cut a couple pills in to quarters, and then I'd take the biggest one, and work my way to the smallest... :)

:hugs: to you both!

luisa1974
12-12-13, 20:56
Thanks for your replies. I must say I have had a good day today:) but it is always in the back of my mind when will come back because I know it sounds stupid but so used to it being there that when it's not there it is strange!

Helena - good luck with coming off you are just ending your meds and we are just beginning! Let me know how you get on.

Ally - glad you are feeling better and it continues. This site is great cause you really think you are the only one suffering and now I know I am not. I wouldn't wish this on anyone. I would rather have the flu at least it eventually goes.

Sending hugs and good wishes:yesyes:

helena8888
13-12-13, 06:01
Still feel edgy so I will stay on 12.5 mg until I feel really good. Maybe 12.5 mg does not do much but still seems a life-buoy to me.
Ally I will do what you suggest cut a few pills and go from biggest to smallest one. Tks !
Luisa you will have more and more good days !
Take care :)

luisa1974
13-12-13, 15:24
Not a good day today. Feel like a panic attack could happen any minute. Is it normal at the beginning to have a good then bad day?

-Stella-
13-12-13, 16:26
I think so Luisa - I definitely have good days and bad days 9 weeks in, and my doctor says this is very normal.

luisa1974
13-12-13, 18:12
That's reassuring to know are your bad days less x does that panicky feeling go cause it is there all the time x

helena8888
16-12-13, 02:37
Luisa hope you are feeling better today.
Yesterday I tried without my 12.5mg. I was busy the whole day so did not think about it but when I went to bed I felt a bit nervous with shallow breathing. So today I am taking 12.5mg. If I feel good today I will skip the dose tomorrow and try to take the med alternate day.
Sometimes I think it is ridiculous it is like I can't let go of the med. I have been taking 12.5 for 3 weeks while I was supposed to be 1 week to 10 days at 12.5 then stop.

chicaplatense1
16-12-13, 02:48
Luisa, I was feeling phenomenal for the last 2 weeks and I am feeling down now for the last 2 days. I have been on the medication for 6 weeks now, soooo I hope it is just normal and not a sign that they are not working....

helena8888
17-12-13, 01:58
So yesterday I took 12.5mg and was OK. Still more nervous than when I was taking 25mg but still very manageable. So today I will skip the dose. I really want to be medecine free by the end of the year but there is still a side of me who does not want to let it go (by fear of feeling bad again)
I am thinking of taking 5-htp when I finish with Zoloft. Anybody has tried ?

MrAndy
17-12-13, 09:00
So yesterday I took 12.5mg and was OK. Still more nervous than when I was taking 25mg but still very manageable. So today I will skip the dose. I really want to be medecine free by the end of the year but there is still a side of me who does not want to let it go (by fear of feeling bad again)
I am thinking of taking 5-htp when I finish with Zoloft. Anybody has tried ?
i tried it and dont believe it does anything at all ,except it made me a bit drowsy.

helena8888
17-12-13, 09:10
Tks Mr Andy. How long did you take it for ? I was reading that it takes 2 weeks to 1 month to see the effects. Did you take 50 or 100mg ?

MrAndy
17-12-13, 09:18
Tks Mr Andy. How long did you take it for ? I was reading that it takes 2 weeks to 1 month to see the effects. Did you take 50 or 100mg ?
100mg for about a month,im probbly going back on sertraline this week

helena8888
17-12-13, 09:20
Sorry to hear had. I thought I read you had weaned off recently.

MrAndy
17-12-13, 09:35
Sorry to hear had. I thought I read you had weaned off recently.
i had with no problems ,but after talking to my counsellor she thinks i would benefit from a low dose.To be honest I have been struggling the last few weeks

helena8888
17-12-13, 09:47
That's what I am afraid of after I stop. :huh:
Wish you will feel better shortly

MrAndy
17-12-13, 10:07
That's what I am afraid of after I stop. :huh:
Wish you will feel better shortly
there is no shame in having to go back on them after all its not a competition is it ? I didnt get any side effects weaning off and not many going on them so quite relaxed about it.I want to be in a good frame of mind for Christmas so I can enjoy it and not be a burden on my family :)
thanks for your kind wishes i hope you get on ok

helena8888
18-12-13, 01:49
Hi Andy, I agree with you and would not hesitate to go back on the meds if I do not feel good. I waited for too long the first time.

helena8888
23-12-13, 03:41
One week off the meds. I feel a bit tensed and less patient especially in the evenings but apart from that I feel overall good. I started 5htp 50mg, not sure if it helps.
I take this opportunity to wish you all Merry Xmas and Happy new year and all the best in your journey to recovery. Big hugs to all of you. :hugs:
Helena

helena8888
07-01-14, 10:42
So here I am, 3 weeks after stopping the meds and not feeling that great
and regretting that I have stopped. My anxiety is higher than when I was on zoloft. I do not have panic attacks but I have pain in my chest, intrusive thoughts. And now the whole day is spent considering if I should go back on the meds or not. Just the thought of the first 3 weeks puts me off. :wacko:
Mr Andy how are you feeling now ? Was it difficult to start again ?
Soooo tired of all that !

MrAndy
07-01-14, 18:10
So there I am, 3 weeks after stopping the meds and not feeling that great
and regretting that I have stopped. My anxiety is higher than when I was on zoloft. I do not have panic attacks but I have pain in my chest, intrusive thoughts. And now the whole day is spent considering if I should go back on the meds or not. Just the thought of the first 3 weeks puts me off. :wacko:
Mr Andy how are you feeling now ? Was it difficult to start again ?
Soooo tired of all that !

Hi Helena I'm at 3 weeks and feeling better,the start up anxiety was yucky but not to bad,don't be scared of going back on them
Good luck :)

helena8888
06-02-14, 07:02
Hi everyone, it was interesting reading back what I wrote 2 months ago and to see that I already was thinking I should have not stopped zoloft so early.
So here I am, not back to square 1 because in september I was feeling much worst than what I am feeling now but bad enough to restart taking the med. :blush:
The last month has been a roller coaster. Goods days and then bad days and goods days again. I was still hopefull that these were only setbacks and I would ultimately get better. I was still eating well, sleeping well.
But the last 3 days have been really bad in term of anxiety, insomnia, no appetite and chest pain. So this morning went to see the doc, he told me to start taking 25mg and we'll see in 2 weeks. My first 3 weeks were awful last time (I started at 50mg). I just hope that starting at 25mg will make things easier for me.
I feel so discouraged, having to go through that again :weep:.

MrAndy
06-02-14, 09:20
chin up Helena ,the tabs will help and soon you will be feeling better

helena8888
06-02-14, 10:02
Tks Mr Andy. I have to think positive but when you have been good and get bad again it is tough ... We learn from our mistakes.
It worked for me a few months ago it will again I am sure. Just have to be patient. :)

MrAndy
06-02-14, 10:12
the way i see it is if i have to take a little tablet for the rest of my life so be it
keep going you will get there

helena8888
13-02-14, 09:02
Today is day 8 on zoloft 25mg. First 5 days were not too bad, day 6 was awful with anxiety and tiredness, day 7 was great I was absolutely normal and today is ups and downs. Overall this time starting on 25mg is easier on me than the first time on 50mg. Sleeping wise depends on the days, I would wake up very early, if it is before 5am I take 1/4 of a sleeping pill so I can sleep 2-3 more hours otherwise I get too tired at work during the day.
I have noticed anxiety peaks at 10h30 and 16h30 everyday. This is weird. Anyone experiencing that. I cannot explain that will ask my doc at the next visit. Cortisol ?

helena8888
24-02-14, 02:58
Today is day 19 first day at 50mg after 9 days at 25 and 9 days 37.5
I was quite OK until 2 days ago, and yesterday a bit more anxiety and this morning was difficult. Still strong pressure in my chest and in my back. I went to see the doc a few days ago and he asked me to take 50. So I started today. I have a trip in 3 weeks with long hours in planes, I hope I will be OK by then.

MrAndy
24-02-14, 08:52
keep going helena it worked for you before and will work for you again

helena8888
24-02-14, 08:57
Tks Mr Andy, hopefully tomorrow will be a better day.

helena8888
27-02-14, 06:05
Today is not a good day for me. Feel very anxious and depressed. 22 days total and 4th day at 50mg. I know I have to be patient but y'day I was good. It is tough !:weep:

MrAndy
27-02-14, 08:50
Today is not a good day for me. Feel very anxious and depressed. 22 days total and 4th day at 50mg. I know I have to be patient but y'day I was good. It it tough !:weep::hugs:

helena8888
27-02-14, 09:08
Tks Mr Andy. :bighug1:
How are you feeling these days ?

MrAndy
27-02-14, 09:14
Tks Mr Andy. :bighug1:
How are you feeling these days ?
http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showpost.php?p=1283862&postcount=74 :)

helena8888
27-02-14, 09:17
That's a great news, so happy for you ! :yesyes:

helena8888
03-03-14, 02:31
Hi everyone, hope you had a good week-end. Posting on my progress. Today is day 26 and 1 week at 50mg. The past 3 days have been good, felt normal. Just the waking up was a bit tough but the feeling dissipated after I got up. Today back to work, feeling pressure in my chest, maybe the coffee I am drinking or the fact that I will have to go on a trip in 2 weeks.
I was reading on a post by Nova that the pic of anxiety is 3-4 days after starting or dose increase. I had the same feeling. My days 3 & 4 at 50mg last week were quite bad but I got much better after that. I feel I am climbing back uphill. Take care all of you ! :)

Nova84
03-03-14, 09:40
I am on 50mg too Helena and at one week, i still struggle with waking up/getting up but it is getting a little bit less than what it was, goes away quicker.

helena8888
03-03-14, 09:53
Good news Nova, it will get better and better. My morning are still a bit tough it is one of the last thing to go it seems.

IrishLondon
04-03-14, 23:57
Hey. This all gives me hope. My first 2 weeks on sertraline were ok but now a really bad bout of insomnia has hit me. I hate taking sleeping meds but I think I need to just to get me over this rough patch. I hope the sertraline kicks in soon :(

helena8888
05-03-14, 02:04
Hi Conor, I still don't sleep very well after 1 month on zoloft. I was given sleeping tablets which I keep when the insomnia is very bad or I know I will have a long day the next day. I am taking Valerian or melatonin. These help to fall asleep faster but I still wake up on and off during the night, sometimes I sleep again fast and some other times it takes time. Also I always wake up very early 5.30 to 6am and this is when the uneasy feeling starts. But overall during the day I am fine.
Wish you a good day

IrishLondon
06-03-14, 04:13
Hi Helena

My issue is getting to sleep. It's now 4am here and still not asleep. It's been like this all this week except last night when I took an antihistamine.

Anyway I guess I just have to put up with it for a while. I hope your anxiety is ok otherwise?

Conor

helena8888
06-03-14, 08:14
Hi Conor, you should ask your doctor for sleeping pills. I usually keep a quarter of them on my side table and when I wake up at 4am and cannot fall asleep again I take it and it makes me sleep for another 2-3 hours.

helena8888
10-03-14, 03:36
Hi everyone. Today is day 33. Yesterday was a very good day felt like normal but the day before was not that great so still ups and downs. But today is the first day without morning anxiety and slept decently last night. Strangely, since I started taking sert I sleep less. I usually sleep a good 8 hours but now only 5 to 6 hours and I don't seem more tired. Anybody experiencing that as well ?
--------------------
Hi Conor, how have you been ?

MyNameIsTerry
10-03-14, 06:24
Hi everyone. Today is day 33. Yesterday was a very good day felt like normal but the day before was not that great so still ups and downs. But today is the first day without morning anxiety and slept decently last night. Strangely, since I started taking sert I sleep less. I usually sleep a good 8 hours but now only 5 to 6 hours and I don't seem more tired. Anybody experiencing that as well ?
--------------------
Hi Conor, how have you been ?

I did on Citralopram. I had Zopiclone which I understand is in the same family to help me sleep until the insomnia cleared. Some SSRI's do cause insomnia. I'm on Duloxetine the 2nd time around and that doesn't seem to cause any insomnia issues. I remember Citalopram had it listed in the side effects and Duloxetine doesn't.

I did notice with Zoloft that it did work very well at first but after a week I noticed I would get slightly less sleep. It was explained to me that hypnotics only let you get what you need by helping you to enter sleep unlike older sleeping medications that were knock outs by comparison.

Is it strangely reassuring when you get that metallic taste i.e. yay sleepy time! This wore off as well despite them still working.

ilda8786
10-03-14, 14:01
Oh happy for you Helena really really hope you don't get any more ups and downs!!!! They suck!!!!
I had some goods days as well bit scared of going down!
Wish everyone could feel normal again nowwwww.

IrishLondon
10-03-14, 15:48
Hi Helena,

I'm on day 20 now. The last few days have been ok actually. I still have my usual anxiety symptoms but they are not upsetting me so much and I have far fewer negative thoughts at the moment.

My sleep is still all over the place. My body doesn't seem ready to fall asleep until after 5am - if i'm off then I can easily sleep until past midday. But when I'm working then i'm only getting about 3 hours sleep. A week or so ago, the lack of sleep thing would be really getting me down but it's not at the moment. I'm also making more of an effort to get out and see people and do things so maybe that's helping too.

It's great to hear you are having a good period as well at the moment

Conor

helena8888
11-03-14, 10:00
Hi everyone, my sleep seems to have improved for the last 2 days, let's cross fingers it will last. Conor you should ask your doc for sleeping pills, just to get over the first few weeks. I did not take them everyday, just half or a quarter of a pill when I really needed it.
Terry I do not get any metallic taste lucky for me !
Ilda I think 5 weeks is the turning point for me and the last time I took sert it was the same. I definitely feel almost normal but still in the back of my mind I have the fear of downs again ! I am not thinking about the problems that triggered my anxiety, I am just thinking of the Anxiety itself. Well I always have to find something to worry about !

helena8888
14-03-14, 02:37
Hello everyone. Just a quick update at 37 days and a few words of encouragement for those not feeling great.
I have been feeling steadily good for the past 5 days. Anxiety is very minimal, just some thought that I can brush away immediately. I know I am not out of the tunnel yet, but I am pleased and happy to be having my life back. I have energy, I feel positive and don't get short tempered !
What I have left is very dry mouth, feeling thirsty and a bit of chest pressure with shortness of breath around 6pm. Maybe the stress of the day at work ! Nothing bad.
Last october I stopped after 6 weeks because I felt good and thought I could cope by myself. Bad mistake. I came back on the med shortly after. This time will stick to it for a while.
Wishing a good day to everyone !

Glaws
14-03-14, 08:57
You give me hope, thank you! I am 3 weeks in and have improved a bit but mornings are still not great. Back to work next week so I think I'm becoming nervous about that although I'm hoping that the distraction will help.
Although I think I needed the time off, I find myself dwelling on the gnawing feeling in the pit of my stomach which then leads to adrenaline rushes.
I am so glad you're feeling better. X

helena8888
10-04-14, 09:13
Hi, hope everyone if feeling good. Just wanted to post after my 2 months mark on sert 50mg. I have been travelling for almost 3 weeks and have been feeling quite good. Apart from a bit of breath shortness I was fine. No anxiety apart from the week before my period. After period was ok again. I have been back for a week and I do not know if it is the jetlag but I have had a bit of a blip. Strangely I am not anxious, no adrenalin but I have this bad chest pressure that is taking my breath away. I am trying hard not to let this distrurb me too much but it is quite painful. Today has been slightly better. Will see my GP tomorrow and maybe he will increase my dosage. Anybody having bad chest pain ? I know it is quite a common effect of anxiety but it is worst than before and I have been taking the med for 2 months.

helena8888
14-05-14, 09:32
Hi everyone, posting on my progress after 3 months. Well cannot really call it progress. In some way I am better than when I started but I was feeling much better the second month (was at 50mg). The 3rd month I increased my dosage to 62.5 for 2 weeks and then 75 for another 2 weeks because of chest tightness and shortness of breath. If I did not have issue I would be fine. But this breathing problem induces more anxiety which in turn cause more breathing difficutly. :huh:
Tried to find a cause for this breathing problem ... stomach, lungs ... all is ok, so my docs says it is plain good old anxiety and asked me to increase to 100mg. In fact it seems my breathing got worst after I increased the dose so I am a bit reluctant to take 100. Anybody experienced that ?

Amandala
14-05-14, 12:48
Hi Helena,
I had this problem on remeron. I'm not sure if I waited it out or changed doses it would of sorted itself out.
Doctors put it down to anxiety. I still get it now and again on zoloft so maybe it really is just anxiety. I felt out of breath all day yesterday.
And don't put yourself down, it is progress! You have come a long way!

Amanda

helena8888
15-05-14, 10:23
Thanks Amanda, it is always good to know that I am not the only one ! :)

helena8888
22-09-14, 06:04
Hi everyone, posting to give encouragement and feedback to the one starting or stuggling with their treatment.
I am now in my 8th month of taking zoloft and 5th month at 75mg. I must admit I feel good, steady mood (did not have downs for the past 3 months), "normal anxiety" means I react normally to stressfull situation but I do not get spiralling anxiety for no reason like before. I feel a bit more tension and heavy breathing 1 week before my mens but this has always been the case for me so I learn to accept it without jumping to the roof.
Overall my experience has been very positive though I put on 2kg in the last 4 months (the 2kg I lost when my high anxiety started so cannot complain too much about that) but I noticed that I gained weight even if my food and exercise regimen was exactely the same as before.
My doc will probably start decreasing my dosage at my next visit and I will want to go as slow as possible.
I would highly recommand to the one who are starting to ask you doc to start low on the medecine. I tried both ways. First time directly at 50mg and second time gradually 12.5 / 25 / 37.5 / 50 / 62.5 / 75 and I left 10 days to 2 weeks between each increase. (I just did cut the pills with a sharp knife).
The first time I got really sick with so many side effects, the second time the side effects were minimal and I would say in both cases I took me around the same time to feel better.
I exercise very regularly, do yoga and breathing exercises and this has helped me a lot giving me energy and focusing on something else than my anxiety.
Wish all of you a good day and don't forget there is a light at the end of the tunnel.

helena8888
17-08-15, 04:36
Hi everyone, continuing my story :) . After my last post on this thread I did wean off slowly the med as I was feeling really good, from 75mg to 62.5 then 50mg in 2 months. That was not too difficult, less energy after dosage decrease but nothing bad. Then I did cut my 50mg pill in 8 (I have become really good in cutting then pills with a penknife) and roughly every 2 weeks I was removing 1/8th of my dosage. I would decrease the dosage only if I felt good. I did stay roughly 1 month at 25mg. Usually on the days 3 and 4 following the decrease I would feel a bit more anxious and edgy. Overall the process from 50mg to 0 took 4-5 months. That was slow but the transition was smooth with very minimal side effects even if some days were a bit harder and I am glad i did it that way. My only hurry to stop the medecine was loosing the few kg I had put on (despite exercising a lot and controlling my diet).
Very shortly after stopping the meds I felt I was becoming more irritable, then chest pain due to the anxiety. I was coping with feeling uneasy for 4 months when I started to have waves of anxiety and panic, adrenaline rush, mood swings.
I was hard for me to take the decision to re-start the med (for the 3rd time in 2 years) but I was feeling better being on sert than off.
So here I am again, with the pills in my bag and my penknife. I decided to start even more slowly that the previous time as I know now that the smaller the dosage the lower the side effects, maybe it will take longer to reach the therapeutic dose but I do not want to go through the pain of the bad side effects again (I experienced the first time taking 50 mg staight and feeling soooo bad / the second time I started at 12.5mg which was not so bad but still got insomna). My doctor agreed that I would follow my own pace. So again I did cut my pill in 8 pcs and took 1 pcs 5 days ago. The first day I felt really good, even wondering why I needed medecine. :huh:. The second day was also ok woke up early but anxiety was minimal, but the 3rd day my God, I opened my eyes and felt this wave of panic and adrenaline and thought I was hit by a train. The whole day was horrendous with anxiety and panic, I managed to convince myself that it was only medecine induced and that I will get better. I was shocked what a 6.25mg dosage was doing to me. But luckily apart from that increased anxiety and slight headache in the morning I have no other symptoms, my appetite is a bit less than usual but I eat, I have no insomnia which I had the previous time even starting at 12.5mg and above all no GI problems.
Day 4 was as good as day 3 was bad. Now day 5 I woke up with a slight headache that disapeared after breakfast and slight chest pressure. I manage to keep my irrational thoughts at bay. I will wait for a few more days at this dosage and see how I feel. I know this time taking this med is going to be for a long time and I have to learn to accept it. ;)

Sunflower2
17-08-15, 07:21
Hi Helena, I also started at 6.25mg as I was so scared and was shocked to find it actually gave me some relief from anxiety after a week or so. I've been on 6.25 mg for 6 weeks but I am now moving up to 12.5mg since last week because I found the benefits were wearing off a bit and I was becoming a bit more anxious again. I think 50mg is waaaaaaay too high for many people, since even a tiny amount does something! Good luck for going back on sertraline!

helena8888
17-08-15, 08:32
Hi Kimberley. Tell us how you feel while increasing the dose. Good luck !

feelingblue
17-08-15, 09:14
Hi Helena.
I have read your story. I am sorry that you are having a bad time. You are being proactive and taking the meds.
I am new to Sert. I started with 25mgs for 5 days and now on day 5 of 50mgs. I have had daily side effects but mainly nauseous and the chest tension.
Sending you best wishes for your journey on Sert.

helena8888
17-08-15, 11:10
Hi Feeling blue,
Thanks for your message. The starting phase is never too pleasant but after 4-5 weeks you will start to feel noticeable improvement. Best wishes to you as well.

MrAndy
17-08-15, 11:16
keep hanging in there Helena ,youve done this before and can do it again

helena8888
17-08-15, 11:24
Hi Mr Andy, tks ! It is the third time you tell me that :D. Hope it will be the last ! How are you ?

MrAndy
17-08-15, 11:26
Hi Mr Andy, tks ! It is the third time you tell me that :D. Hope it will be the last ! How are you ?
im doing well thanks,still get some anxiety but about 80% better now
maybe this time you should stick with the meds even if you feel fine,ive come to the conclusion im on olanzapine for life and it really doesnt bother me

helena8888
18-08-15, 03:06
Hi Mr Andy, glad you feel better and that you found the med suitable for you. I know now I need the med on the long term and I am slowly getting used to this idea.

helena8888
24-08-15, 03:16
Posting on my progress on the 12th day mark (8 days at 6.25mg and 4 days at 12.5mg). Well I am surprised I feel so good. 4 days ago before upping the dosage I had a bad day but after that I was feeling normal. I still have unwanted toughts that I am brushing away without spiraling into panic. No side effects from the increase (apart from waking up in the morning a bit earlier than usual).
I was wondering if there is any therapeutical effect at that dosage. Since I was not feeling good 2 weeks ago prior starting the meds with waves of panic and mood swings and now all of that seem to have settled, I guess the med is acting unless it is placebo effect (and if it is good for me :D).
Well, just hoping this will last ...

helena8888
30-08-15, 03:13
Day 18. I did increase my dosage from 12.5 to 18.75mg 3 days ago as I felt it was not enough for my PMS. The first day of the increase not much difference but y'day and today are quite bad with the anxiety. Spiralling thoughts adrenalin rush low mood. :weep: cannot sleep. Just hoping tomorrow will be a better day.

Phill2
30-08-15, 03:45
Being tired all day and then not being able to sleep at might were the worst parts for me.
Thankfully it didn't last long and only felt like forever.

helena8888
30-08-15, 14:17
Yes Phill well said ... it feels like forever :mad:

helena8888
01-09-15, 07:16
Day 20 (8 days at 6.25mg / 7 days at 12.5mg / 5 days at 18.75mg)
Woke up with a headache that subsided after breakfast. Managed to sleep 8 hours, it did not happened to me since I started the med. Very little morning anxiety. Feel much better today. The new dosage is settling, days 2/3/4 after tapering where tough. Planning to increase to 25mg this friday, did not plan anything for the week-end as I probably wont feel very good. Tough medecine to start, even at that low dosage. :wacko:

---------- Post added at 06:16 ---------- Previous post was at 04:13 ----------

starting to have waves of anxiety and panic in the afternoon :weep:

helena8888
07-09-15, 03:53
Day 26 - upped the dose to 25mg 4 days ago.
Had hard time last week with the hightened anxiety. Increased to 25mg last friday and it was much easier this time. I had one day of anxiety free the next day and since then slight anxiety especially in the morning but nothing bad. Overall I feel much better today than 1 week ago. By starting very slowly I managed to avoid most of the side effects except the heightened anxiety which is settling now. The very plus point is that I do not have insomnia. Still waking up a bit earlier than usual but not a big problem.
I'll stay 1 week at 25mg and will see if I need to increase. Just hoping I can stabilise at this dosage. Take care all of you.

helena8888
14-09-15, 10:59
Day 33 - no improvement yet. Not sure I took the right decision to start so slowly. Maybe 25mg is not enough for me :meh: and I am just waisting time waiting for something that will not come. Or maybe it will get better but takes time, I have been on 25mg for 10 days only.
Went to see my doc y'day he advised me to increase to 50mg. Don't know what to do really. My anxiety is bad and I have chest pressure that takes my breath away. Don't know if it is my normal anxiety (but was not that bad before starting the med) or the anxiety induced by the sert. My idea was that When I was weaning off I stayed at 25mg for a month and was fine. So was hoping that 25mg would be enough. Maybe it does not work that way ! :huh:

Phill2
15-09-15, 00:24
Day 33 - no improvement yet. Not sure I took the right decision to start so slowly. Maybe 25mg is not enough for me :meh: and I am just waisting time waiting for something that will not come. Or maybe it will get better but takes time, I have been on 25mg for 10 days only.
Went to see my doc y'day he advised me to increase to 50mg. Don't know what to do really. My anxiety is bad and I have chest pressure that takes my breath away. Don't know if it is my normal anxiety (but was not that bad before starting the med) or the anxiety induced by the sert. My idea was that When I was weaning off I stayed at 25mg for a month and was fine. So was hoping that 25mg would be enough. Maybe it does not work that way ! :huh:

Hi Helena
I started on 25 for 6 days the went straight to 50 where I've remained for about 4 months now.
50 seems to be the right dose for me.
Feeling good (fingers crossed) but the first few weeks weren't much fun.

helena8888
15-09-15, 08:13
Hi Phill tks for your reply. I am better today. Will wait for a few more days and will decide if I will increase to 37.5 and 50mg

Sunflower2
15-09-15, 19:28
Hi Helena, perhaps because last time you were already in a better place it just kept you stable rather than acted more as a boost to your anxiety and depression? I'd say give it a little while longer and see how you go. Let is know how you get on :)

helena8888
16-09-15, 10:03
Hi Kimberley, tks for your message, you are probably right, the last time I was already feeling good when I got on 25mg. Anyway yesterday and today are much better days than 2 days ago, almost no anxiety. Just adrenalin in the morning when I wake up. I guess medecine is starting to kick off today is day 35.
And you Kimberley how are you feeling, still at 25mg ?

Sunflower2
16-09-15, 22:38
That should be a good sign then!

I am still at 12mg, although my therapist thinks that since my dose changes slightly every day (as I am cutting up tablets) I may be experiencing ups and downs due to the unstable dosage.

It will have been 12 weeks tomorrow though!

helena8888
25-09-15, 03:08
Giving an update after a bit more than 6 weeks and 3 weeks at 25mg.
Starting to find serious relief to my anxiety with mostly good days now. For the past 2-3 days the morning adrenalin upon waking up is less and I am woken up by my alarm clock (and not by myself 2 hours before).
I have noticed something, if I am going to have a bad day which I can feel very early in the morning, I take 1/8 of a pill (6mg) on top of my 25mg. It does not help much on the same day but the next day I feel good again (the next day I am back to my normal dosage of 25mg) instead of having 2-3 bad days in a row. This seems to be doing the trick for me (though I did not seek approval from my doc). This week it only happened every 5 days (compared to 3 days gap last week) so improving.
So overall I am happy I am feeling better and 25mg seems sofar working for me.

helena8888
25-05-18, 05:49
I continue this thread more than two and a half years later.

I stayed on zoloft 25mg for almost 2 years, was feeling just normal. any anxiety that came along was easily brushed off. Then decided with my doc to wean off. Went down 1/8 of a pill for 2 weeks than stayed at 12.5mg for 3 months, then down to the last 1/8 of a pill for 2 weeks. I was OK and quite proud of my achievement thinking that was the last time on zoloft.
3 months later the anxiety started to creep up again. Had some bad days, trying to think it was "the road to recovery". Then started to have mild panic attacks, was able to handle them with my CBT techniques, once in a while, then more often. Still wanted to handle all that and not going back on the med though thinking about it. The good days conforted me in my decision.

Then 2 weeks ago I started to have mild health issues that lasted a bit longer than expected though sorted out now and this stressed me out quite a lot. On top of that I started to notice this hissing sound in my hears that I was trying to ignore and that is giving me high anxiety. I will see a doc for that but I know it is stress related. I give myself a few days and will probably ask the doc to prescribe me zoloft again. Just not looking forward to the first 5 weeks.

Good luck to the ones starting on the med. It is a rough ride but it works for most of us.

Tommo1980
25-05-18, 07:48
Good luck to you. Enjoyed reading your thread, found it inspiring how you have remained so upbeat throughout. I've done a week on 50mg and 2 weeks 4 days on 100mg. The start up anxiety and insomnia was horrific and I thought of giving up most days. Things are starting to settle down now I am approaching week 4. This forum has been my lifeline.

Starting slowly definately seems to be the way to go. I do think you should try to hit the min therapeutic dose of 50mg this time. Hopefully then you will see more long term benefits.

helena8888
25-05-18, 11:11
Hi Tommo, yes starting at 50mg is tough, you are at 4 weeks so you should get much better very soon.

I think for me the maintainance dose is 25mg and I was doing very well on that dosage. At 50mg I had durable side effects (lost libido and weight gain) that I did not have at 25mg so if it works for me again I will try to stay at 25mg. If I am not mistaken the best dosage is the lowest one working for each individual. I was on 50 and even 75mg the time before but that did not prevent a relapse.:blush:

Cee
25-05-18, 22:05
Thanks for documenting your journey Helena - very helpful. :)

I am at 4 weeks on 50MG and getting to sleep and having a good night's sleep is horrendous at the moment (was fine before the med). Does this get any better?

helena8888
28-05-18, 07:44
Hi Cee, yes it definitely gets better, for me the turning point is 5-6 weeks where everything settles, you are at 4 weeks so you should be seing the light at the end of the tunnel soon ! Did you ask your doc for some sleeping pills to help you go through the early stages ?

Tommo1980
28-05-18, 08:15
Just to second what Helena said, I've now hit 4 weeks (3 on 100mg) and the insomnia is starting to abate. I was waking every hour for the first few weeks, tossing and turning all night and then up at 4am. Ironically I couldn't keep my eyes open past 10pm so it made for a long night.

The last few nights I have stayed up until 11pm, woke up once during the night for a short period then slept until 5am, comfortably dosing for an hour or so after that before getting up to meditate.

Tommo x

helena8888
06-06-18, 03:36
Back on sert. Day 10 (5 days at 6.25mg and 5 days at 12.5mg).
Tough, really tough, the hightened anxiety is so bad, ears buzzing, slight GI issues, early awakening (5.30 am). Just have to survive the first 5 weeks. Tomorrow increasing to 18.75mg :weep:

helena8888
08-06-18, 03:51
Day 12 (5 days at 6.25mg, 5 days at 12.5 and 2 days at 18.75)
Today a bit less anxiety but very low mood and so tired. Insomnia started 2 nights ago, I wake up at 3am and take a xanax 0.5 to sleep another 3 hours. Overall since I started I sleep 5-6 hours which is far too little for me. Also I have no appetite so feeling weak.
I had better days :huh:, been there before it worked so I have to stay positive, not easy.

WiredIncorrectly
08-06-18, 10:39
Just to second what Helena said, I've now hit 4 weeks (3 on 100mg) and the insomnia is starting to abate. I was waking every hour for the first few weeks, tossing and turning all night and then up at 4am. Ironically I couldn't keep my eyes open past 10pm so it made for a long night.

The last few nights I have stayed up until 11pm, woke up once during the night for a short period then slept until 5am, comfortably dosing for an hour or so after that before getting up to meditate.

Tommo x

I've got the same problem. By 10pm I get very sleepy. I can usually fight it until around 11pm and then I'll doze off. But I am always awake early. Yesterday I managed to wake early and fall back asleep until 9am. Today it was 6.44. Day before it was 5 :( But once I'm awake I usually feel wide awake and irritable so I have to exercise in order to stop the irritability.

Combined with the no appetite it's really beginning to take its toll. I'm going to treat myself to a big greasy dominos tonight and see if I can get a few slices down me to load up on calories.

---------- Post added at 10:39 ---------- Previous post was at 09:35 ----------

I'm also feeling dizzy today. It seems to happen if I lie down, or tilt my head. Vertigo.

helena8888
08-06-18, 11:10
Same for me, as soon as I am awaked in the morning I need to get up otherwise the anxiety and adrenalin start building up. I have been for walks at 6am for the past 2 weeks which is nice though I would have prefered to be in bed sleeping. Walking slower and slower day after day do due to not eating enough !
Good week-end to all of you !