PDA

View Full Version : mornings and avoidance

danj
11-12-13, 16:10
Hi All

At the moment my pattern is that as soon as I wake up I start feeling anxious, the anxiety slowly dissipates as the day goes on and by the evening I feel just a little anxious and depressed.

The problem is that I tend to go back to sleep as it feels like it provides some peace and then I lose half the day. The past few days I've not finally got up until 1pm! I'm then getting into work really late.

Any suggestions / advice?

Thanks

Dan

MrAndy
11-12-13, 16:13
Hi Dan when i was very ill with anxiety I couldnt face the workld and after a severe bollocking from my cpn for lying in bed,I found out the only way to deal with this is tackle it head on.Im afraid you have to get up and get moving with your day otherwise anxiety will only tighten its grip.Its hard work but the benefits outweigh the pain.
good luck :)

danj
11-12-13, 16:39
I'm usually laying in bed thinking 'I know I should get up, I know it's better for me' then I fall back asleep again :(

MrAndy
11-12-13, 16:48
I'm usually laying in bed thinking 'I know I should get up, I know it's better for me' then I fall back asleep again :(
trust me you have to fight that feeling and get up and get busy :D

danj
11-12-13, 18:32
other than 'just do it' any tips for making myself get up?

MrAndy
11-12-13, 19:17
set yourself an achievable target every day,the easier it becomes make it a bit more challenging
i started by just going for long walks to help clear my mind and burn off the anxiety

Andrea2607
11-12-13, 20:27
Hi Dan, my question is are you getting enough sleep at night because most people don't feel the need to fall back to sleep once they are awake? Tiredness can make anxiety much worse so I would aim for getting a good night's restful sleep with no distractions and get up as soon as you're awake no matter what. Good luck x

worried 101
11-12-13, 21:44
heya.
I go through this when I am going through v bad spells. my anxiety is worse in the morning usually getting out of bed was such a struggle. the only thing that I found was having people there who would literally force me up, not in a harsh way but becuase they knew it was best for me. I also find something that spurred me on to getting up was the idea of a bath, it was sorta going from one comforting place to another,a nice gentle way to ease you into the day.
Once I was in there for a while I would start the process of washing etc which sets you up to carry on with the rest of the morning tasks...putting clothes on etc. I can completely understand your struggle to get up in the morning as depression and anxiety will just make you wanna sleep. I can sleep forever even when I am well! But trust me it will do you no good avoiding the world by staying in bed...no matter how tempting it is!
Good luck

jill
11-12-13, 22:27
Hi Dan :D

There is nothing worse, when your get up and go, gets up and goes without you, LOL, Mmm not funny really, but I find laughter is a medicine, it makes you feel better.

We all need to sleep, to rest the mind, but to much sleep is no good for you, as well as not enough sleep, finding your own balance, is a start and will help you move forward with this.

The mind needs something to get up for, do you have something you like doing ? what is your daily routine, if you do not have one, PUT one in. A routine can help.

How about taking something up, a hobby?

Dan, YOU CAN do this, BUT, your going to have to finding something, to get up for.

Some people find dragging themselves out of bed and putting on music while in the shower is a start, it helps change there mood to start the day.

Try putting either music or a certain sound on your mobile phone alarm clock that makes you feel good, this can help lighten your mood in the morning.

Do you have anyone who you can use as a SHORT term coping tool, who you can plan to go out with early morning? or maybe plan to visit them early morning. Even if you do it a couple of times a week, ITS A START.

Dan, it IS hard work on your part and sometimes it is a case of dragging yourself out of bed, THEN go do something to totally distract you from how you feel.

Come on Dan, YOU CAN DO THIS, make a plan of action AND DO IT:yesyes::hugs:

There is a saying, you can't make anyone do anything, YOU HAVE TO WANT TO DO IT. Want it, REALLY want it and your mind WILL find ways to do it.

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXX

danj
12-12-13, 15:09
thanks Jill and Worried 101, I appreciate the support.

This morning I set my alarm for 10 and got up about 11am, a better start. Will try and keep it up.

jill
16-12-13, 15:15
Hi Dan :D:hugs:

Its GREAT to hear your making a start, we all have to start somewhere
WELL DONE :yesyes:

How is it going?

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XXX

begone
17-12-13, 15:18
Hiya - this is the exact same pattern as mine. Anxious in the morning which dissipates, then a bit more anxious and mainly feeling low in the evening. Difference is I have to get up for work (not having a dig!! I love a lie in too!!) . If I am at work and I've got lots on to distract me I definitely feel better.

jill
17-12-13, 15:34

How are you doing, are you still keeping up the good work?

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILLXXX

danj
17-12-13, 16:02
thanks everyone

Jill - things going a bit better, I have been trying to schedule meetings for earlier in the day so that I *have* to get up. Today I was up at 9:15 and left the house at 10am for a meeting so that is good.

jill
17-12-13, 16:23

HAY, that's one way of doing it :yesyes:

Its good to hear things are going a bit better regarding this problem, but hun, a bit, is a step forward :yesyes:

I know its can be dame hard :hugs: but YOU WILL, get there.

YOU TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XX

AndrewNolan
17-12-13, 17:08
Hi

I struggle with this as well. I tend to wake up at about 8 - 8 :30 in the morning but not get out of bed until near 10. Which means that I get into work quite late and end up having to stay late.

What I do now is literally roll myself out of the bed in the morning as soon as the alarm goes off. I've found that once I'm out of the bed I just start doing all the traditional pre-morning activities (getting dressed, washed etc) and before I know it I find myself in work. It is hard though but I do find that once I'm out of the bed I don't get back into it as helpfully my anxiety has me too keyed up to contemplate going back to sleep. However, if I stay in the bed my anxiety sees it as being 'safe' and allows me to go back to sleep, hence getting out of it straight away.

Hope this helps.

MrAndy
17-12-13, 17:34
thanks everyone

Jill - things going a bit better, I have been trying to schedule meetings for earlier in the day so that I *have* to get up. Today I was up at 9:15 and left the house at 10am for a meeting so that is good.

Well done,it gets easier the more of a routine you get into