PDA

View Full Version : Scared to take Bactrim

Leslie735
11-12-13, 19:10
This is my first post here, SO glad to find others with anxiety like me, I don't feel so alone. Anyway, Monday I started feeling this strange pressure in my left ear. It got worse by that night when my husband got home from work I decided I better go see a Dr. So I ran up to Urgent Care. The Dr. said he saw fluid and maybe the first signs of an infections so he gave me a script for Cipro. I got it filled and took the first dose that night, 2nd one yesterday morning and 3rd last night. All was well until last night. I started having joint aches. I read up on Cipro about tendon rupture and FREAKED OUT! I went back to the Dr. today (I skipped the morning dose) and he told me to stop taking it and gave me a script for Bactrim DS twice a day for 5 days. I've never taken this Bactrim before or anything with Sulpa in it before. So naturally I'm SO scared! I'm allergic to Penicillin so what if I'm allergic to this too. Help please!!

jillyb
11-12-13, 20:05
I don't know anything about these meds but just wanted to say welcome. I suppose the only way you will find out is by taking them! I am a complete pill phobic so I understand your anxiety, took me 20 years to take a paracetamol! I read the side effects and expect to get them all ... Really I need to be on anti anxiety pills but am just too scared to take them. It's much worse now that they put every possible side effect on them and that you shouldn't take them if you have x, y or z which, of course, I might have! Nightmare. Hope you feel better soon x

Fishmanpa
11-12-13, 20:17
I've taken Bactrim dozens of times in my life with no ill effects. Just follow the directions on the bottle. The only side effect that freaks me out is "anal leakage" (NOT FROM BACTRIM... JUST IN GENERAL!) Ewww! ~lol~

Positive thoughts

Leslie735
11-12-13, 20:49
I keep reading about Steven Johnson syndrome, scary!!! I'm considering not taking them and just hoping this ear infection goes away by itself. :/

Fishmanpa
11-12-13, 21:11
I keep reading about Steven Johnson syndrome, scary!!! I'm considering not taking them and just hoping this ear infection goes away by itself. :/

That's the danger of Dr. Google. You do realize how rare that is? Infections, especially ear infections are pretty persistent little buggers and typically don't resolve on their own. You'll know if there's an issue with the medication within a day or so anyway. Like I said, I've taken Bactrim dozens of times in my life for bacterial infections and never had an issue (sans a sour stomach because I took it without food one time).

Ultimately it's your decision but I would take the meds as "hope" doesn't kill bacteria ;)

Positive thoughts and good luck!