PDA

View Full Version : How do you cope feeling ill every day for over a year??

fedup36
12-12-13, 12:25
Hi All,

Well my dizzy zaps seem to of subsided...
I'm not getting the electrocution feeling as much (Still getting it once a day) and in turn my anxiety has subsided and not had a panic attack for nearly a week now.

The issue that I have now is just getting to grip with the whole feeling poorly thing. I literally feel ill every day and I don't know how much more I can take of it. It can be just feeling dizzy for no reason, or getting a headache or my eyes going funny or just feeling rubbish like im on the verge of getting a cold the whole time...

Its the dizziness that scares me I suppose you could say and every time it hits it freaks me out and I think something awful will happen.

I just can't get my head around how I have felt this bad every day for over a year now... It has ruined my life and its so hard to deal with...

Any advice would be greatly appreciated!

Gee
12-12-13, 12:33
I have the exact same problem! Dizziness and headaches for over a year plus loads of other symptoms, the others have all gone and I'm left with the dizziness and headaches around my eyes - fuzzy feeling :( it's awful I've had an MRI and it was normal so I'm lost :(

Fishmanpa
12-12-13, 12:55
I can tell how I did it. My situation was different but I still had to deal with it. I've been physically challenged for over a year and I had no choice but to deal with it. The alternative wasn't an option.

For me to get well means a hell of lot of healing on the physical level and some I'm finding on the psychological level. So I'm exercising lightly now, walking and doing stretching. We plan on joining a gym so I can begin weight training to strengthen a greatly weakened body. For the mental aspect, I'll be going to therapy to work on my perspective. Again, there is no choice in the matter as the the alternative is not an option.

I believe you are in the same situation. Although our circumstances as to how we got here are different, there is no choice in the matter as the alternative (staying as you are now) is not an option.

Most if not all of the symptoms you experience can and are attributed to your anxiety disorder. I know you've been basically been given the all clear medically as you've been tested, poked and prodded and there's nothing physically causing your symptoms. That leaves treating your anxiety as the means to an end to treating your physical symptoms.

Positive thoughts

fedup36
12-12-13, 13:00
Thanks Fishmanpa,
Mmm I have been prodded and seem to of accepted the fact now that it is anxiety. Its difficult to tell myself that when I am experiencing the symptoms though.

I think exercise is a great way forward but I broke my leg about 3 weeks ago so I can't walk my dog which use to make me feel a lot better. I am also on the CBT waiting list so feel that I am taking the right steps forward...

The thing I don't understand is how I can feel ill everyday from anxiety. I had no idea it could be that strong, doctors and people in the past have said o it comes and goes but this literally 90% of my day that I don't feel like 'the old me' and 'well' This when I start to worry about more sinister things that could be making me feel like this :(

HoneyLove
12-12-13, 13:21
Fedup are you ignoring the MdDS diagnosis you were given which explains the majority of your symptoms? Worsened by stress and anxiety.

fedup36
12-12-13, 13:27
Hi Honeylove.

I am really struggling to believe that diagnosis.. I think they have just given that to me as they don't know what's causing it..
Its difficult as I haven't been as stressed at work this week and my dizziness to be fair this week has got better...
and I have been doing my VRT exercises which seem to be helping to and I can now look up without getting dizzy...
I just worry they slapped me with the MdDS as they didn't know what else it was... I can't shake that something awful might actually be happening :(

HoneyLove
12-12-13, 13:34
You went through a whole battery of tests, if there was something more sinister they would have found it.

They told you MdDS because it makes the most sense for your symptoms and experience.

You've already experienced that the VRT is working, which should be a big sign that you're on the right path.

You're holding yourself back from feeling well with all of this anxiety and stress, you know it will just make vestibular problems worse. You need to hold tightly on to your diagnosis, trust the doctors and do what they say.

It might be a good idea to look at the free online CBT course recommended here, while you're waiting for your actual sessions.

fedup36
12-12-13, 13:41
I have taken a look... I think I may reread some books I have at home and another good tip the mental health nurse recommended is getting out my notes from my last sessions..

The one thing I struggle with is sometimes when I am relax it actually makes my symptoms worse :(

HoneyLove
12-12-13, 13:46
It sounds like instead of completely relaxing you're just focusing on the symptoms? Generally when you're relaxed and in a good mood you wont notice things as badly - they might still be there, but they're in the background.

Be careful when you're relaxing that you're not doing anything that may increase tension in your jaw or neck by sitting in bad postures or clenching your jaw without being aware of it - try to make yourself as aware as possible of the jaw clenching.