PDA

View Full Version : Fear of losing control :-(

Bonnibelle
13-12-13, 12:51
I said I wouldn't post again but I am having an awful day. :weep:

I have this fear of losing control after a bad panic attack a month ago that made my intrusive thoughts race. Ever since i fear having a rush of panic because when I do my thoughts go rife, I get a rush of panic and think oh no what if I get my keys , drive to the bridge and jump. I get this overwhelming rush of fear and I fear that I will lose control and go and do it, like it's an urge. I am terrified being alone, my days are long.

I have been diagnosed with GAD and told that intrusive thoughts are a symptom. I have had thoughts of what if I hurt my kids, myself and then I read on the OCD board about a girl who had a fear of jumping off a bridge or out of a window. That stuck and since then I have had this fear. I fear being alone incase I go and do it.

I have been able to think more rational this week and believe this is just GAD and I can't lose control like that but today it has washed over me again and I am in tears.

Can anyone relate to this and is this really common with GAD?

fairydust
28-12-13, 17:18
Hi there,

I have these thoughts when i get verb bad anxiety. What helps me is to think..Ok if I jump out of that window, what is the worse that is going to happen? I will probably break a few limbs. Now what will be the point in that? Will I actually do it? No I won't so don't be silly and stop thinking about it. Honestly, try and run through the whole scenario in your head this way and you will usually calm down ok x

Volvoman50
28-12-13, 22:43
Yes these are common thoughts in GAD I have them which naturally then creates anxiety as why would it not with such thoughts? That I believe is how you deal with them which is because it causes anxiety this shows you don't want to do any such things. Just remember that when they cease to cause anxiety don't think you now want to do such things it just your brain has now learnt these are irrational thoughts which can be safely ignored.

Bonnibelle
29-12-13, 01:46
Thank you Fairydust. Great reply, very helpful. I think that's a fab
Way to tackle it. What about the bridge fear? That's the one I fear the most?:/

QUOTE=fairydust;1258596]Hi there,

I have these thoughts when i get verb bad anxiety. What helps me is to think..Ok if I jump out of that window, what is the worse that is going to happen? I will probably break a few limbs. Now what will be the point in that? Will I actually do it? No I won't so don't be silly and stop thinking about it. Honestly, try and run through the whole scenario in your head this way and you will usually calm down ok x[/QUOTE]

---------- Post added at 01:46 ---------- Previous post was at 01:42 ----------

Thank you so much, very reassuring.

I hope I get to that stage where they no longer bother me.

I think the thought has become so obsessive I really fear being alone in January as I fear I being alone. I fear it so much because I panic noones there to stop me if I drive to the bridge. That's an obsession and i've pictured it so many times and panicked. I wish it would stop bothering me like it does:(

Yes these are common thoughts in GAD I have them which naturally then creates anxiety as why would it not with such thoughts? That I believe is how you deal with them which is because it causes anxiety this shows you don't want to do any such things. Just remember that when they cease to cause anxiety don't think you now want to do such things it just your brain has now learnt these are irrational thoughts which can be safely ignored.