PDA

View Full Version : New job anxiety - not worried about performance just being there

psychocandy
13-12-13, 13:09
Bit of background. Suffered for years off and on.

Been med free for a few years so sort of ok. But whenever I start a new job I have severe panic attacks. (I work on temp stuff so this is not good!)

Basically, the way my mind think is:-

1. Im stuck in this horrible place for half my life now - every day mon-fri.
2. I can't escape.

I don;t worry that I can't do the job etc its just all the stress of newness I guess. Its happened every job for last few years....

Anything to help?

Rennie1989
13-12-13, 14:29
This happens to everyone. My husband has no anxiety issues but when he had his last job interview, for his current job, and the first week he was wrapped up in nerves. He was so anxious, bless him. But I don't know anyone who does not get anxious when they start a new job. You have to get used to new routines, new people with new personalities, new norms, new building, new responsibilities, of course it's an anxious and stressful time.

Don't be too tough on yourself. Go with the swing of things, don't be afraid to ask for help and cross each bridge when you get there.

psychocandy
13-12-13, 15:53
Thanks Rennie. Yeh I know its a stressful time for most people but I tend to go overboard on it LOL.

Like I said, even worse with anxiety issues anyway.

Must admit I'd hoped to be better this time though :-(