PDA

View Full Version : Can you Recover??

Cú Chulainn
13-12-13, 20:39
Hi

I'm new to this site after just being diagnosed with Panic Disorder.
I was just hoping to know if recovery from this was possible??

purgatory
14-12-13, 10:32
Hi and welcome.

Yes recovery is possible. I myself are nearly fully recovered from several years of panic attacks and anxiety.
At it's worst it was unbearable and I never thought it would be possible to get better. I still know that my journey is not over with it all but I can now see a possible end to it all.

The only real advice I can give is don't lose sight of what you want and always try to achieve something everyday no matter how small. It all adds up in the end.

mummyanxious
14-12-13, 11:33
I'm not sure you can rid yourself of the feeling of fear, its going to come and go as a normal part of life but certainly the way you deal with the symptoms can be cured. Its all about how you deal with the symptoms when they happen. You just have to 'feel' then and go with it.

Cú Chulainn
14-12-13, 16:28
Thanks I think I just needed to hear it from someone else :D

harasgenster
14-12-13, 16:32
Yep, recovery is possible. I used to have panic disorder. Do you have panic disorder with agoraphobia or without? (The two are associated). My way out of panic disorder was to get out of agoraphobia and gradual exposure is really good for that.

Cú Chulainn
14-12-13, 19:38
Yep, recovery is possible. I used to have panic disorder. Do you have panic disorder with agoraphobia or without? (The two are associated). My way out of panic disorder was to get out of agoraphobia and gradual exposure is really good for that.

Hi Thanks for responding
No I was luck I think to be able to get help rather quickly before it developed that far.
My biggest problem is depersonalization!!
I feel like I'm not myself days after having a panic attack
I Don't know how to deal with it and I think its gonna be the hardest part to get over

Breezy
14-12-13, 20:19
Hi. I'm experiencing the same as you today.

I had an horrendous panic attack yesterday, out of the blue. For the rest of the day the anxiety came and went in waves but stayed quite intense.

Today I feel "odd", like I'm here but not really and the feeling makes me uncomfortable. However I have tried to learn to just go with it, acknowledge the feeling (don't analyse it) and use distraction and relaxation to work through it. Easier said that done most definitely.

I think you can recover over time and hard work. I was anxiety free for several months before I had this attack yesterday - something which I thought would NEVER happen a year ago.

Cú Chulainn
15-12-13, 19:41
Hi. I'm experiencing the same as you today.

I had an horrendous panic attack yesterday, out of the blue. For the rest of the day the anxiety came and went in waves but stayed quite intense.

Today I feel "odd", like I'm here but not really and the feeling makes me uncomfortable. However I have tried to learn to just go with it, acknowledge the feeling (don't analyse it) and use distraction and relaxation to work through it. Easier said that done most definitely.

I think you can recover over time and hard work. I was anxiety free for several months before I had this attack yesterday - something which I thought would NEVER happen a year ago.

Hi Breezy thanks for responding.
I think your right about not analysing the symptoms and just distract yourself :yesyes:
Youll be okay.. I'd say the memory s of being anxiety free will help you thorough this rough patch
btw are you on meds or counselling?

Breezy
16-12-13, 22:08
I'm on 20mg Fluoxetine, have been for years now. I've recently had some CBT therapy and was and have been doing great. However I do find that without the regular support and reminders of what to do right, and where my automatic negative thinking comes in, I tend to slip a little on my own. My course ended and I cannot afford private at the moment, so am relying on reading on the internet etc.

Thank you for your words of encouragement and I hope you are having a good day :)

machine
16-12-13, 22:10
Hi

Yes it is. Relapse is also.

cymraig_chris
16-12-13, 22:12
Hi

Yes you can, yes you will.

jill
16-12-13, 22:35
Hi hun :D:hugs:

YES, it possible, :yesyes:

If you know and understand what panic is, a human response from danger, given real danger, this is when this mode comes into force, it moves blood to the places in needs to be to help us run faster, it sharpens our senses, BUT when its a fails alarm, this is when it causes problems.

You also mention DP/DR this is a protective mode, Mmm when I was told this and I was supposed to welcome this feeling I thought "HAY :scared15: it frightens the life out of me" Not has this in a long time.

I have seen this mode just recently, in action, in real life, my sister lost her husband, oohhh very sad :lac: we were all talking, she said she felt like she was in a dream, nothing seemed real, she didn't feel right. In this mode, when you have reason for it being there it helps you feel calm, this mode sends out calming hormones.

The mind IS a powerful thing, IT DOES have ways in protecting itself.

So, this mode is trying to calm you, trying to protect you from more stresses, although, if you fear it, it keeps going it thinks your in more stress.

WELL, THAT'S MY view on things, I am NO expert, this is the way I thought and I believe it helped me move forward.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XX

Cú Chulainn
17-12-13, 19:53
Hi hun :D:hugs:

YES, it possible, :yesyes:

If you know and understand what panic is, a human response from danger, given real danger, this is when this mode comes into force, it moves blood to the places in needs to be to help us run faster, it sharpens our senses, BUT when its a fails alarm, this is when it causes problems.

You also mention DP/DR this is a protective mode, Mmm when I was told this and I was supposed to welcome this feeling I thought "HAY :scared15: it frightens the life out of me" Not has this in a long time.

I have seen this mode just recently, in action, in real life, my sister lost her husband, oohhh very sad :lac: we were all talking, she said she felt like she was in a dream, nothing seemed real, she didn't feel right. In this mode, when you have reason for it being there it helps you feel calm, this mode sends out calming hormones.

The mind IS a powerful thing, IT DOES have ways in protecting itself.

So, this mode is trying to calm you, trying to protect you from more stresses, although, if you fear it, it keeps going it thinks your in more stress.

WELL, THAT'S MY view on things, I am NO expert, this is the way I thought and I believe it helped me move forward.

TAKE CARE

LOVE JILL XX

Thanks Guys
Hopefully I begin to feel better soon because I'm in such a bad place
Not looking forward to Christmas or anything.

Cú Chulainn
18-12-13, 22:35
Anyone else Have any thoughts??