PDA

View Full Version : Had a rough night last night

Round in circles
13-12-13, 21:50
Last night was pretty horrible. I was in the middle of a computer game session ( yes, I'm a nerd) when all of a sudden I had an extreme sharp cramping pain in the whole of my left shoulder. Within about 2-3 seconds it had moved through my entire arm. I was also hit with extreme nausea, palpitations and felt very lightheaded. On a pain scale of 1-10, it was a solid 9.

I have a history of palpitations, and my GP reckons the past occurrences have been caused by stomach problems irritating the vagus nerve, leading to my funny turns. Usually when it happens, within seconds of feeling dizzy and palpitations starting my stomach bloats up and I find kneeling on the floor then bending forward to put my head on the floor helps.

I've never had arm pain before, and it was extreme. My stomach didn't bloat all all and kneeling and leaning forward did absolutely nothing to help. I genuinely thought I was in trouble and called NHS 24. The nurse told me to take paracetamol.

I spent the rest of the night silently waiting to die. I know it sounds dramatic, and I'm suitably ashamed of having that fear but I'm very scared and just needed to tell someone.. Even if I get laughed at.

I don't know what to do. I always feel like I'm not meant to bother anyone, and since the previous palpitations have been explained I feel like I have no ability anymore to really know when something is very wrong. They say that you know your own body, but now I'm not so sure. I would have bet money that I was having a heart attack last night. If anyone knows of a website with information like "5 signs you're NOT having a heart attack" or something, please let me know.

I don't really know the point of this post. Should I even make an appointment with the GP next week or would that be wasting their time? Is the fact I'm not dead yet proof that nothing bad happened? I hate being me and not knowing stuff. I have good intelligence but low emotional intelligence. I get scared more than I'm meant to, which messes up everything.

mummyanxious
14-12-13, 08:04
I think you should make an appointment because what are you going to do if you don't? You'll worry and it'll ruin your Xmas etc. likelihood is it'll be fine.
I am in a very similar position to you. I've had tests done, told everything is fine yet I keep getting very real frightening symptoms.
One thing happened to me I haven't posted about and haven't seen a dr but really shook me up. I was driving my car and suddenly got this intense pain which came from the side of my chest on the left, and at the same time I felt it in my hand, not my arm though oddly, and into the top of my head on the left. It was split second but it was like a thunder bolt. I tried to remain calm afterwards but did start sweating and had to put the air con on.

How are you feeling now?