PDA

View Full Version : When I look back........

jollywalrus
15-07-04, 10:43
When I look back at how I was when I first started reading the forum, I see how much I have improved. Things that were then totally out of my reach some months ago, are becoming nearer.
So what has changed? Well, I seem to have accepted that I suffer from panic disorder. Before, when I had a panic attack it would destroy me for the rest of the day. Now I seem to accept it for what it is, and I move on quickly.
Because of my agoraphobia, I used to scuttle quickly from a to b, my mind full of fear. Now I seem to look at the trees, hear people talking to me and my heart doesn't beat like it used to.
And for those of you who know my fear of shops, well this week I managed two shops alone and paid at the checkout. Yes, I was nervous, but I'm always that aren't I?
Meg, told me to take small steps and that is what I have done. I kept going out, I kept standing in queues and I kept panicking, (i still do) and those little steps have turned into bigger ones.
I don't feel I can put this post in success stories yet, because I have a long way to go, but when I read the forums I remember how awful it can be at it's worst, and I hope my post might help others. It does get better, slowly.
Love to all,
Christine

Meg
15-07-04, 10:53
Dear Christine,

Hurrah !!!

Success is there for any success you feel you have made and not reserved for a final - I'm there stuff.

You have done soo well in a short time.. You are keeping in the present by noticing those things around you now and not living so much in tbe future .. Excellent .

Are the severity of the panics dissipating at all yet and even not having them now in certain situations that you once dreaded ?

Many Congratulations.

Keep it going.

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

jollywalrus
15-07-04, 11:02
Dear Meg,
Yes, I have definately noticed that I don't seem to panic in places I used to. My world is getting wider. When that first flash of panic does hit me, I seem to be able to let it pass over and I have more of my old thoughts than I do my panic ones.
I can't pinpoint a turning point or tell you that I had a lightbulb moment that has turned it round for me. It is just a hard slog. But how lovely to feel a part of the world again, to be able to sit at my daughters school play alone (even if it is at the end of the row) and to have something in my mind other than fear.
I hope it continues.
Love Christine

Meg
15-07-04, 11:21
proactivity, positivity, persistance and patience.

Why shouldn't it continue ??
You may have a blip one day - you may not.

You know how to progress now and have seen results - keep at it and your world will widen further again.

Sometimes there is a lightbulb moment of recognition of how to proceed but its always a hard slog ...

Well done

Meg

Anxiety is a thin stream of fear trickling through the mind.
If encouraged, it cuts a channel into which all other thoughts are drained.
Robert Albert Bloch

Lilith
15-07-04, 11:35
<b id="quote">quote:</b id="quote"><table border="0" id="quote"><tr id="quote"><td class="quote" id="quote">to be able to sit at my daughters school play alone (even if it is at the end of the row) and to have something in my mind other than fear.
</td id="quote"></tr id="quote"></table id="quote">

That is wonderful! It's such a relief to have your mind on something else, isn't it? Wow. I'm so happy you're seeing improvement. Please don't worry if you have some bad times, or feel like you've lost ground one day. It can be kind of a "2 steps forward, 1 step back" journey, but well worth it. This website is really a great gift and I am so thankful for it.

sarah
15-07-04, 14:08
Hi there

Well done you!!!!!

Thats great news that you have 'widened your world'.

Im so chuffed for you, its great that you are now posting like this after how you were in the beginning.

Yes it is an upward hard slog but now you realise and accept things, it sounds like its onwards and upwards for you....slowly but surely!!!!!

like Meg says...sucess stories are for anything you have acheived however insignificant it may feel. I posted a sucess story when I bought my 1st pint of milk alone...lol

take care and well done again

love sarah
xxxx

we arent mad, just the next stage of evolution :)