PDA

View Full Version : can I take anything for sleep

I'mdave27
15-12-13, 09:50
Me and my fiance have just moved house but where we live now it's quite noisy as we are on a main road. Can I take anything to help me sleep and stay asleep ? I take 40mg citalopram

Dying_Swan
15-12-13, 11:31
Hi Dave. There are lots of different medications doctors can prescribe to help you sleep, although many are addictive and best avoided if possible.

What have you tried so far to help?

You could try an over-the-counter remedy like nytol, or valerian tea can help too. I'm not sure if it would help, but I used to find playing a CD of relaxation exercises quietly would help me get to sleep.

"Sleep hygiene" is also really important. That means things like not eating too late, making sure the room is the right temperature etc. I also find routine is important, so going to bed and getting up at similar times each day.

Sleep issues are horrible. Hope this helps a bit and you can sleep better soon xx

I'mdave27
15-12-13, 12:43
Nytol is ok with citalopram ?

teej
15-12-13, 13:08
A word of warning with any products like Kalms, Quiet Life or Herbal Nytol is that some forum members have noted an interaction with citalopram. It's noted in the citalopram survival guide.

That being said I schnaffle valerian, hops and passion flower products like they're going out of fashion and have never noted any problems. I even mentioned to my doctor my consumption and he wasn't even remotely bothered whilst on 20mg of citalopram. But then that's just my personal experience. They certainly help me get a better quality of sleep and sometimes they just take the edge off the anxiety.

I would agree with the sleep hygiene wholeheartedly though. I also use earplugs every night too.

I'mdave27
15-12-13, 13:27
Yes but what interaction ?

teej
15-12-13, 13:44
From: Citalopram Survival Guide (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=46980)

Kalms - Used to lessen mild to moderate stress and anxiety. Available from supermarkets and pharmacists. Some No More Panic users have reported that Kalms (which contain valerian) are effective against anxiety when taken at HALF the stated dose, but taking Kalms is not recommended if you are also using citalopram. Kalms contain a small amount of valerian extract. See valerian extract below.
Side effects: See valerian extract below.
Citalopram safe: No - see valerian extract below.

Valerian extract - Used to relieve anxiety. Valerian extract is found in Kalms but possibly in lower amounts. Available from Holland & Barratts.
Side effects: Warning - may increase depression if taken alongside citalopram.
Citalopram safe: No, due to adverse interaction between the two substances.

I'mdave27
15-12-13, 13:58
Yes but it's not life threatening ?

teej
15-12-13, 14:27
I'm not a medical professional so I'm not going to give you medical advice here. All I can do is tell you my experiences and point you at other people's experiences.

I thought I should mention the interaction since you're on a high dose of citalopram, and if taking some over the counter product could lessen the effects of the medication prescribed by your GP or cause bad depression, then yes, in an extreme case could be life threatening.

Why not start with the easy wins? - relaxing in the evening, warm bath, warm milk, ear plugs (I have a noisy neighbour and these win every time), soothing music, or even trying a white noise machine such as the Marpac Dohm. All of these come with no risk and are something you can do for the rest of your life.

There's no magical fix to sleep problems, just as there isn't one for depression and anxiety. I am as uncomfortable about my dependance on any herbal products I take as I am about my dependance right now on the citalopram for my anxiety.

Anyway, just my two-pennies worth.

Emphyrio
15-12-13, 15:48
I would try chamomile first. Place two bags in a mug, add water straight from the boil, cover, and steep for 5-10 minutes, then drink. If you hate the taste add a spoonful of honey. If you have this 30mins to an hour before bed the effects should start kicking in when you go to sleep.

MrAndy
15-12-13, 16:53
Zinc magnesium works for me,make sure you take the citalopram in the mornings

teej
15-12-13, 18:25
+1 for chamomile.

I'll have to try the zinc magnesium MrAndy! Any idea why it works or is it a Google job?

Dying_Swan
15-12-13, 20:54
Good point about interactions, hadn't thought about that. You could easily check with a pharmacist or GP. As was suggested by another person, why not start with the easy sleep hygiene measures and take it from there x

MrAndy
15-12-13, 21:03
+1 for chamomile.

I'll have to try the zinc magnesium MrAndy! Any idea why it works or is it a Google job?
Its a natural relaxant