PDA

View Full Version : Meds or not ?

jimbobrooney
15-12-13, 18:35
Hi everyone

As people know I have been posting for a few weeks and trying to help people but I too have my own demons

Just to give some background on myself

I have been irritable for a good few years, snappy etc. I have had a few shirt term depression episodes which lifted fairly quickly. Most have had good reasons like relationship break ups etc but at the moment I am very down abd just fixated on how short life is and what happens after etc

I spoke with my wife today who said 'this has happened you before'. She also said ' I have never felt how you feel now '

I have been massively happy for long Periods but now I think maybe I am actually depressed and should go on medication

Can anyone tell me if the meds work ?

Fishmanpa
15-12-13, 18:38
Hi Jimbo,

I suffered from some depression after my 1st heart attack and bypass surgery. I sought therapy and was put on Zoloft. While I didn't like the way it made me feel and the side effects (bad stomach), it did help along with therapy.

I feel I'm suffering from some minor depression/PTSD after my battle with cancer and I'll be seeking therapy but don't want meds again.

Positive thoughts

jimbobrooney
15-12-13, 18:43
What kind of therapy do you recommend fishman?

Fishmanpa
15-12-13, 18:48
I did one on one therapy with a psychologist. He helped me look at things from different perspectives and showed me techniques and coping strategies. It really helped to get through a difficult time in my life.

Positive thoughts

jimbobrooney
15-12-13, 19:34
Sounds good. Ill go that route so

Is a psychotherapist different to psychologist ?

Fishmanpa
15-12-13, 19:44
Hi Jimbo,

My understanding is it really comes down to education level. While both earn doctorates, a psychiatrist is a medical doctor that has additional training/education in psychology and can prescribe meds. My GP prescribed Zoloft on my psychologist's recommendation.

Just like with my cancer treatment, what matters most is your comfort level and confidence in who you're seeking therapy with.

Positive thoughts

jimbobrooney
15-12-13, 19:50
Ok thanks