PDA

View Full Version : Need some help

MrAndy
15-12-13, 20:47
Ok its time to admit that I'm struggling again,I've been off sertraline for about a month but despite my therapy I feel I'm on the edge of that black hole again and it's pulling me in.MY dilemma is do i go on meds again or is this just a blip,somehow it feels different to all the other blips ive had.
I feel weak for asking for help but I don't want to keep letting family down,somehow writing this makes me feel better.

Tanner40
15-12-13, 22:09
You've done well, Andy. There is never any shame in asking for help. That is a sign of strength, not a sign of weakness. You already know this but only you can answer the question on whether you go back on medication or not.

I know from my past experience that I can get lackadaisical about my recovery once I am feeling better. When I stop journaling, stop meditating, stop talking back to my irrational thoughts, etc... All heck can and generally does break loose.

What are you doing for yourself to continue your recovery? It's so easy to stop when we are feeling better. Are you still getting any therapy or reading any self help book?

Just some thoughts of action to consider.

MrAndy
15-12-13, 22:14
Hi Tanner I'm starting private therapy which should help and making sure i exercise every other day.I'm not one to sit around feeling sorry for myself,I do like to post on here and help others but now feel I need some support.weekends seem the hardest for me at the moment,work during the week stops me ruminating to much

Tanner40
15-12-13, 22:17
It sounds like you're being very proactive with the course of therapy. That refresher course should help you immensely. I'm similar in that as long as I stay busy, I feel much better. Too much empty time leaves my mind far too much time to wander.

Maybe some sort of routine on the weekend or a new hobby, of sorts, could help to keep your weekends busier.

EllyW
16-12-13, 00:58
If you feel meds again would help, do it. Don't suffer - life is too short. I know different people have views on meds - mine was to take them - but was keen to stop - and went back on. No shame in it. Diabetics aren't weened off insulin!

MrAndy
16-12-13, 07:31
If you feel meds again would help, do it. Don't suffer - life is too short. I know different people have views on meds - mine was to take them - but was keen to stop - and went back on. No shame in it. Diabetics aren't weened off insulin!
Thanks Ely I'm not feeling too good at the moment but will fight on,I want a good Christmas

HoneyLove
16-12-13, 08:14
Andy have you tried anything like relaxation or meditation to help you come back from the brink?

Don't underestimate how powerful these methods are in helping you recover from anxiety. They will relax your sympathetic nervous system (the one that gets you all on edge) buly kicking your parasympathetic nervous system into action.

They are worth a try, extremely beneficial.

inCOGnito
16-12-13, 11:42
Hi MrAndy. I've respected many of the posts i've seen you write on NMP and I wonder how you would answer your own question if it had been someone else asking?

Reason I ask is because is that when it comes to one self we tend to be subjective while it is much easier to be objective about someone else.

I think coming off meds IS going to have an effect. Sertraline is an SSRI as you know, it is a serotonin agonist, os now you don't have that little chemical blocking the re-uptake of serotonin. there will be a period of re-adjustment. It tales a while for the re-adjustment so that's probably why you are feeling the effects now. So bare that in mind.

MrAndy
16-12-13, 12:54
Cheers guys I would tell myself it's a blip and be strong :D
Today is better but I'm going to have a sensible conversation with my doctor about medication
I do meditate well more like chillax to music with the lights off and it helps
Keep fighting the fight everyone

Bonnibelle
16-12-13, 14:07
You've done so well Andy and there's no shame in admitting you need some support.

Are you spending Christmas with family/friends? I'd focus on Christmas and if in the new year you feel no better maybe consider meds again if they helped you?

I hope it's just a blip for you x

MrAndy
16-12-13, 14:12
You've done so well Andy and there's no shame in admitting you need some support.

Are you spending Christmas with family/friends? I'd focus on Christmas and if in the new year you feel no better maybe consider meds again if they helped you?

I hope it's just a blip for you x
Hi Bonni ,a few things are bugging me,its almost exactly one year since i lost the plot and ended up in hospital and I wanted to be 100% by now.I realise thats a stupid goal to set myself,no harm in trying though :)

hope your feeling better :)

Bonnibelle
16-12-13, 14:44
I think sometimes our memory reminds us of what we have been through near an anniversary which knocks us and creates a blip.

My brother attacked me at the end of last September and since this September, after doing so well I haven't felt so good again. Then as it has led up to Christmas I have been putting pressure on myself to feel well because last CHristmas was so terrible for my family after what he had done to me. My GP said to me today that we put so much pressure on ourselves, we need to just let time pass and put faith in the medication or counselling. It will help and we will get through the days we have ahead of us.

I hope things get easier x

MrAndy
16-12-13, 15:04
My GP said to me today that we put so much pressure on ourselves, we need to just let time pass and put faith in the medication or counselling.

I hope things get easier x
I think your gp is spot on ,I put enormous pressure on myslef to be 100% but maybe 95 is ok :)
This time last year i convinced myself i would lose my family and become homeless what a load of old bollax thats was :yesyes: anxiety is a liar !

HoneyLove
16-12-13, 16:18
Cheers guys I would tell myself it's a blip and be strong :D
Today is better but I'm going to have a sensible conversation with my doctor about medication
I do meditate well more like chillax to music with the lights off and it helps
Keep fighting the fight everyone

You'd be better off actually learning to meditate or using a relaxation technique - there's science behind why these methods work for you! Give it a try.

MrAndy
16-12-13, 18:25
You'd be better off actually learning to meditate or using a relaxation technique - there's science behind why these methods work for you! Give it a try.

Ok will do,anything online you can point me to ?

HoneyLove
16-12-13, 19:40
There are lots of videos on YouTube that will teach you the basics of meditation, I don't know of any in particular though.

My way of learning was through a book called Soul Centered by Sarah McLean,it teaches you all kinds of meditation and explains about research into how it works and what it's good for - I really recommend it.

You could also look at classes in your area? It's always good to learn with someone teaching you I find.

MrAndy
17-12-13, 18:06
Just came back from the kwacks with a prescription for 50mg sertraline,I am ok with this.I'm going to pretend they are m&ms and enjoy swallowing them :)
Onwards and upwards :D

TooMuchToLiveFor
17-12-13, 18:19
MrAndy, I want to just send a note of encouragement as you did for me earlier. :hugs:

Mrs Anxious
18-12-13, 21:55
Best thing to do was see the doc and if they put u back on meds then maybe it's the answer for now? Perhaps in 6 months when the suns shining and we are in the throes of summer you may feel you can come off the meds but if not that's cool too, I have been on and off meds for 17 years, all the best and have a good Xmas x

MrAndy
19-12-13, 08:48
Best thing to do was see the doc and if they put u back on meds then maybe it's the answer for now? Perhaps in 6 months when the suns shining and we are in the throes of summer you may feel you can come off the meds but if not that's cool too, I have been on and off meds for 17 years, all the best and have a good Xmas x
Thanks MrsA they put me back on sert and will review me in January.Im in no way a terrible place but I dont want a relapse because im not going back in hospital !
Have a good Christmas :)

Mrs Anxious
19-12-13, 09:56
Can I ask what led you to being sectioned? I know it's a very personal question but I am currently having severe anxiety and intrusive thoughts about commiting suicide this then scares me as that's the one thing I dont to do but I'm scared I might do something stupid which then brings on more anxiety and so the vicious circle is fed and I feel in a complete state of anxiety all day long... Like one permanent panic attack... What meds are u on? I'm on nothing at the moment coming off citalopram was hell on earth and I don't want to go down that route again but I truly feel like I am losing my mind I have a husband and 2 children I'm nearly 40 years old this is ridiculous .....

Bonnibelle
19-12-13, 11:11
Sorry to hijack this but Mrs A, I too have had high anxiety recently and after reading the OCD board and reading a post about a lady who feared she may do something to herself I became obsessed that I could do that and my intrusive thoughts were around what if I am suicidal, what if I did ........... This lead to constant anxiety, fear and panic attacks. It has been a hell of a month but I listened to my GP. He told me that the very fact I am scared proves I am not suicidal and anxiety is scaring me. Once we can get the anxiety down the thoughts will ease he said. He was so right. I have been on 15mg of Mirtazapine 2 weeks and feel much calmer and the thoughts are nowhere near as bad. Plus I have been doing the CBT4Panic course which has helped an awful lot.

Honestly, I have learnt that reading on here, asking people what led to them being sectioned etc... will feed your anxiety. You will only make yourself worry more. It took me a while to realise this. I still do post but I am a little more careful about what I ask. I also avoid the OCD board as I have been told I don't have that, I have GAD which can cause intrusive thinking it the anxiety levels are high.

Your mind is very suggestive right now, believe me i know how you feel. I am not better at all but I have just had 5 weeks of pure hell. Shaking, anxiety, scared to move, worried sick I may do the what if's I read about on the OCD board..... It was just awful. I have seen my GP and he has helped alot. I can't take SSRI meds but the Mirtazapine has really suited me. I was on 7.5mg from May and have recently upped to the 15mg. At the most I feel tired and woozy. It really is a very gentle AD.

Sorry to jump on your message to Andy. I just wanted to say I know how you feel and I could not have typed this to you a week ago. I just wanted you to know you aren't alone and try to help you work a way out of this. Try and resist posting, asking questions as it just feeds the anxiety and thoughts and maybe see your GP again for a chat and tell him/her what your thoughts are. I was terrified to tell him but he wasn't worried at all and my fears I may loe my children, be sectioned etc..... were put to bed, it really helped.

I wish you well xx

273]Can I ask what led you to being sectioned? I know it's a very personal question but I am currently having severe anxiety and intrusive thoughts about commiting suicide this then scares me as that's the one thing I dont to do but I'm scared I might do something stupid which then brings on more anxiety and so the vicious circle is fed and I feel in a complete state of anxiety all day long... Like one permanent panic attack... What meds are u on? I'm on nothing at the moment coming off citalopram was hell on earth and I don't want to go down that route again but I truly feel like I am losing my mind I have a husband and 2 children I'm nearly 40 years old this is ridiculous .....[/QUOTE]

---------- Post added at 11:11 ---------- Previous post was at 11:11 ----------

Good luck Andy. I hope the meds help you again. I'm sure they will :-)

Just came back from the kwacks with a prescription for 50mg sertraline,I am ok with this.I'm going to pretend they are m&ms and enjoy swallowing them :)
Onwards and upwards :D

MrAndy
19-12-13, 12:30
Can I ask what led you to being sectioned? I know it's a very personal question but I am currently having severe anxiety and intrusive thoughts about commiting suicide this then scares me as that's the one thing I dont to do but I'm scared I might do something stupid which then brings on more anxiety and so the vicious circle is fed and I feel in a complete state of anxiety all day long... Like one permanent panic attack... What meds are u on? I'm on nothing at the moment coming off citalopram was hell on earth and I don't want to go down that route again but I truly feel like I am losing my mind I have a husband and 2 children I'm nearly 40 years old this is ridiculous .....
I had a nervous breakdown with a Psychotic episode thrown in,it left me with extreme anxiety and depression followed.
I am now on sertraline and olanzapine which help

Cat80
19-12-13, 17:01
I was on sertraline for 18 months and came off 14 months ago. I too am having a blip again but I have found keeping going, keeping busy the best thing to help. I do volunteer work for the British Heart Foundation even though it's hard with my GAD and social phobia, I keep busy when at home doing housework, getting on the computer entering competitions. I think a lot is trying to keep the mind busy that helps then the body doesn't find as much time to react to thoughts etc

MrAndy
20-12-13, 10:56
thanks Cat im feeling a bit better now after only 3 days back on the tabs,probably placebo effect but who cares !

MrAndy
23-12-13, 10:26
urrrrrrrgh ive got start up anxiety from the tablets just in time for christmas :(

Cú Chulainn
23-12-13, 19:42
There's Still another two days :yesyes:

MrAndy
29-12-13, 17:03
Day 12 and I'm having a minger of a day high anxiety and very irritable yuck :(

TooMuchToLiveFor
29-12-13, 17:53
Oh, Mr. Andy, I remember Day 12 for me all too well as it was not that long ago....., but time will truly pass and you will level out and be feeling good again! Draw on the things you know......the tools you have learned. It is easy to forget them or doubt they will work when you feel so terrible...., but they have in the past, and they will again! :hugs:

MrAndy
29-12-13, 18:18
Oh, Mr. Andy, I remember Day 12 for me all too well as it was not that long ago....., but time will truly pass and you will level out and be feeling good again! Draw on the things you know......the tools you have learned. It is easy to forget them or doubt they will work when you feel so terrible...., but they have in the past, and they will again! :hugs:
Thank you...

relda
29-12-13, 18:49
I don't have any experience of your meds. But hope that things level out for you very soon.

Ps my day isn't a lot better. Xxx

MrAndy
31-12-13, 14:37
It should be happy new year but today I am filled with dread about going back to work
My Physical anxiety seems better though which is a good sign, I've been back on the tablets 2 weeks now which is nothing really
Hope everyone else is doing ok

loreen
31-12-13, 17:43
Mr Andy

I think a lot of us are filled with dread at going back to work. I too am 2 weeks into new meds,and have had time off as I just could not cope with work.

I am due back this week, but it is not a good feeling. Even though work can act as a very good distraction,it can also become a major anxiety trigger when we are not feeling well.

I hope your meds start to work for you very soon,and that work will be understanding towards you.

Loreen x

MrAndy
31-12-13, 18:21
Thanks Loren.,I am sure when I'm actually at work it will be ok
Hope you feel better soon

MrAndy
03-01-14, 12:14
Quick update I think the start up side effects are starting to settle down and im feeling some improvement in my anxiety and mood.I was dreading coming back to work but just had a good end of year review ,told to not take any more on but carry on as is.My boss is very understanding of my condition which really helps.I have found a good counsellor who I plan to see once a month,I hope 014 is my year of recovery
Hope everyone is doing well.

TooMuchToLiveFor
03-01-14, 13:00
Good to hear, Mr.Andy. I was wondering how work was going for you. Sounds like you are starting 2014 off in a very positive direction toward recovery. Awesome that you have an understanding boss.

Keep posting your progress-- as I know that is what you will have! :hugs:

loreen
03-01-14, 14:19
That's good news Mr Andy.

It helps so much if you have an understanding boss. Also,a good review can do wonders for self esteem-something bosses need to be more aware of. Many only dwell on the negative, so you are lucky to have such a fair and understanding boss.

I hope things continue to improve, and that you pace yourself to allow your recovery to be upwards.

Loreen x

MrAndy
03-01-14, 15:01
thankyou both

MrAndy
08-01-14, 14:55
Hello all ,hope your all well.
In my early days of illness I almost had pnd ,I couldnt handle by 2 year old or even be near her,im not proud of this but its a fact.Time has healed things and im much more happy around her,what i am struggling with is being a Dad.She has become very clingy to her mom and try as much as i can she wont let me do anything for her.My wife wants me to help more but my daughter just crys and say "mommy do it" !!!
This is really causing me stress and anxiety especially in the mornings when trying to get her ready for nursery.I want to be a good dad and help out,any advice appreciated and no I cant afford a swedish aupair :)

TooMuchToLiveFor
08-01-14, 17:02
Hey Mr.A-
I definitely have some things from my life to share in this regard, but right now I have to play a superhero battle with my son. :winks:

Will check back in later today and write ya a few things- just wanted you to know that your post has not gone unnoticed. :)

relda
08-01-14, 19:51
Hi Mr Andy

I have 4 little ones. I find that they do go through a clingy phase to 1 parent. Both my girls are clingy to me & hubby isn't allowed to help with hair etc whilst the boys are a bit the other way around.

I would try to start doing things in non pressured times. Start with small things like reading a story, setting up a special time when you're relaxed & just read a story or do a jigsaw, play a game or similar.

Hope this helps
Xxx

MrAndy
09-01-14, 08:35
Hi Mr Andy

I have 4 little ones. I find that they do go through a clingy phase to 1 parent. Both my girls are clingy to me & hubby isn't allowed to help with hair etc whilst the boys are a bit the other way around.

I would try to start doing things in non pressured times. Start with small things like reading a story, setting up a special time when you're relaxed & just read a story or do a jigsaw, play a game or similar.

Hope this helps
Xxx
thanks Relda she wont even let me play games with her,i suppose i just have to persevere but i am finding it very frustrating.

clare_201086
09-01-14, 09:00
how u doing Andy?

relda
09-01-14, 13:01
thanks Relda she wont even let me play games with her,i suppose i just have to persevere but i am finding it very frustrating.

Tricky, how about you all play a game?

I really do feel for you and hope I'm helping rather than hindering.

Xxx

Sands
09-01-14, 13:44
Hi Mr Andy. My kids are the same they only want me to play or make their food. I think a lot of kids are like that when they are little, I know my friends say the same. Maybe just sit down and read or play and wait for her to join u. I'm sure she will and when it comes to getting her dressed in the morning u just do it, it won't take long before she is used to it. She is very lucky to have a daddy like you cos I know my partner is more than happy to let mummy do it all. Hope things improve in fact I'm sure they will

MrAndy
09-01-14, 14:55
im doing ok thanks folks,im struggling along at work and still battling my illness but it is improving.One thing I know is that mental illness isnt fixed overnight.I find the pressure of being a parent and holding down a stressful job hard when im not mentally that stable
I never used to worry about work being a parent or money,since I got ill its all I focus on
I supposed the best thing to do is keep calm and have a cup of tea :D

Tanner40
09-01-14, 15:11
Mr Andy, children go through phases like this. I've seen all my nieces and nephews go through the very same things. It's always been frustrating to their Dads. You're going to have plenty of time to be a great Dad. Just hang in there and have a little patience. I highly doubt your daughters reaction is about you. Just a phase that all kids go through.

MrAndy
09-01-14, 15:40
actually this morning she was golden and played along with me, got dressed and ready for nursery no problem.
My wife says it was because i didnt rush her or raise my voice.I love her with all my heart and cant wait to be anxiety free so I can relax around her a bit more
Thanks for all you replies it really helps

TooMuchToLiveFor
09-01-14, 21:11
Hey, Mr.A- Sorry it took me so long to get back with you......so, I will agree with what the others have said about this being a phase. My four year old has definitely gone through it at different times- switching between my husband and I as to whom he favored. The time it was different.....well, maybe it wasn't different, but it sure felt like it to me....was this summer. I was put on strict bedrest for my pregnancy for around nine weeks. i was in the hospital for about 5 1/2 of those. During that time my son went through many emotions, including be very passive aggressive to me. I swear, if he was a dog he would have pooped in my shoes to show me how mad he was at me leaving him. It broke my heart as he's my pride and joy. One thing that really helped him reconnect with me was we got some various activities, toys, and games that were sure to gain his interest, but we called them "Mommy-Date" toys. He could only play them with me when we were having "a date" together. For us it was also about finding silly things he could do with me that lightened the mood- if your little girl is old enough to think it is funny maybe she could "fix your hair" with barrettes, or put make up on you. Another thing that helped was I used a puppet to talk to my son and play with him-- he would interact with the puppet when he wasn't too interested in me.

This really will pass---because it is a normal phase, but maybe some of those ideas will work for you guys too. :)

MrAndy
10-01-14, 09:27
thanks guys it seems i need to chill out a lot more around her but its hard when you have bad memories and anxiety.I will keep working on my thoughts and feelings and learn to relax more.

MrAndy
14-01-14, 16:00
lets keep this simple as im to lazy to type out a long thread :)
4 weeks im feeling significantly better ,anxiety is 2 out of 10,mood 4 or 5 out of ten

MrAndy
24-01-14, 15:43
isnt it amazing ive had a few weeks of almost zero anxiety then boom today it hit me hard.
I am going to an exhibition in Russia next week for work and dreading it to be honest but I have told myself to push out of my comfort zone.
Anxiety certainly keeps us on our toes doesnt it,but for the rest of today im going to laugh in its face :)

Fishmanpa
24-01-14, 16:37
isnt it amazing ive had a few weeks of almost zero anxiety then boom today it hit me hard.
I am going to an exhibition in Russia next week for work and dreading it to be honest but I have told myself to push out of my comfort zone.
Anxiety certainly keeps us on our toes doesnt it,but for the rest of today im going to laugh in its face :)

TooMuch's analogy of the Dragon and Dragon Slayer fits HA and anxiety so well. You have to keep your sword sharpened at at the ready for when he rears his ugly fore breathing head. Time to poke him in the eye Andy... ;)

Positive thoughts

WhyWhyWhy
24-01-14, 16:47
I like your attitude, I really do. I think you can do this. Are you still taking your meds? Xxx

MrAndy
24-01-14, 17:01
TooMuch's analogy of the Dragon and Dragon Slayer fits HA and anxiety so well. You have to keep your sword sharpened at at the ready for when he rears his ugly fore breathing head. Time to poke him in the eye Andy... ;)

Positive thoughts

Poke him in the eye ,I'm going to kick him in the goolies :D

---------- Post added at 17:01 ---------- Previous post was at 16:59 ----------

I like your attitude, I really do. I think you can do this. Are you still taking your meds? Xxx
Thanks ,I'm on sert and olanzapine

TooMuchToLiveFor
24-01-14, 21:01
Hey Mr.A-
So, I hate it that the dragon is trying to taunt you today, but you will totally get him reined in and back in his cave. Thinking between the time of year that it is and the things that brings to mind, along with the weekend being here- which we know tends to be harder than the structured work week.....you are probably just dealing with a little "normal" anxiety...., but to those of us who know how scary and big the dragon can turn....it is never easy to see it as "normal."

Have you any plans for the weekend?

MrAndy
25-01-14, 09:31
Hey Mr.A-
So, I hate it that the dragon is trying to taunt you today, but you will totally get him reined in and back in his cave. Thinking between the time of year that it is and the things that brings to mind, along with the weekend being here- which we know tends to be harder than the structured work week.....you are probably just dealing with a little "normal" anxiety...., but to those of us who know how scary and big the dragon can turn....it is never easy to see it as "normal."

Have you any plans for the weekend?
Just chilling on Saturday I am flying out very early Sunday morning,it's this trip that is playing on my mind
I also feel at the moment I'm to obsessed with anxiety to get better if that makes any sense,i need to stop fighting it for a while

TooMuchToLiveFor
25-01-14, 13:02
That totally makes sense. I have seen the downward turn I take when even "fighting the good fight" gets out of balance with just "floating" over it all-- I become so self-obsessed....not with HA type of thoughts as I don't really struggle with that- but just the constant checking in with myself, then after being all-consumed with myself I decide to throw a pity party.

You will go on this trip and will be focused on "normal things" and distracted from "anxiety things". You will have success with it, and that will empower you even more.
Remember- even in Russia you still have your support group here! (Just don't forget your Sert! Lol!)

MrAndy
25-01-14, 13:38
I suppose being on here talking about anxiety keeps it to the forefront of our minds but it's good to let off steam and talk to those who understand

TooMuchToLiveFor
25-01-14, 13:47
Yes, I've thought about that. I think I need to be careful to set some boundaries about my time here.....I actually don't do Facebook or any other social media as I know how consuming it can be just to take you out of "real life", but, yet, I spend hours on here a day. It is definitely helpful and is one of my biggest "weapons" against the dragon...., but as with everything- needs to be kept in balance.

Tanner40
25-01-14, 13:56
Hey there Mr. Andy. I've been in that position of having to take the dreaded business trip many times. I found what sometimes helped was to list just three things that I was looking forward to doing while I was there and to focus on those thing along with the work purpose of the trip. That was my form of distraction. Try to enjoy your trip.

MrAndy
25-01-14, 15:15
Hey there Mr. Andy. I've been in that position of having to take the dreaded business trip many times. I found what sometimes helped was to list just three things that I was looking forward to doing while I was there and to focus on those thing along with the work purpose of the trip. That was my form of distraction. Try to enjoy your trip.
Thankyou

MrAndy
31-01-14, 14:22
Just had an awesome week working in Moscow
I was anxious at first but ignored it and ended up having a great week
-28 took a bit of getting used to walking to work :D
Hope everyone is doing ok

TooMuchToLiveFor
31-01-14, 14:26
Hi!!!!
We've missed you around here this week, but SOOOOO glad you have had an awesome trip! That is wonderful!!!
I was thinking of you lots this week, and was sending you lots of happy, calm thoughts!

Glad you are back!

MrAndy
31-01-14, 14:44
Hi Tmt how are you getting on, you still kicking that dragons ass ?

TooMuchToLiveFor
31-01-14, 14:51
I sure am!

Day 5 of no Xanax too! If I need to take it I will, not pushing myself too hard, but just ready to take on the rest of my physical symptoms and think I need to let them roam in order to wear them out.

I bet your wife and daughter were sure happy to see you back!

MrAndy
31-01-14, 14:57
I'm still here , flying back late tomorrow
I'm really missing home :weep:

TooMuchToLiveFor
31-01-14, 15:11
Oh, wow! That's a long time away!

Well, it will make your homecoming even sweeter!

Don't forget to pick up a little souvenir for your two gals! :winks:

MrAndy
03-02-14, 09:36
back on home soil and it feels good,i hope to get back into my normal work routine now im back.Im still taking 50mg sert and 5mg olanzapine and restarting counselling on Tuesday.My anxiety got quite bad yesterday ,I always seem to suffer more at weekends so i need to work on this.
hope everyone is doing ok

TooMuchToLiveFor
05-02-14, 03:56
This weekend might have been worse too since you got in late Saturday night. You only had Sunday to acclimate back home, and then the work week started immediately.
How did your little girl react to having you back? I know my little guy will take it out on me by really acting out if I've had to be gone for a little while.

How was counseling today? CBT or talk therapy?

MrAndy
05-02-14, 08:31
This weekend might have been worse too since you got in late Saturday night. You only had Sunday to acclimate back home, and then the work week started immediately.
How did your little girl react to having you back? I know my little guy will take it out on me by really acting out if I've had to be gone for a little while.

How was counseling today? CBT or talk therapy?
hi tmt she missed me it was very obvious so that was all good.Counselling was and is tough ,I am being pushed to discuss my past ,childhood,bad relationship etc which wasnt a happy time for me.
I was going to ask you today what it felt like going from 50 to 100mg of sert as I still feel the tablets arent doing enough for my anxiety.I remain upbeat and positive but my anxiety is taking over again :weep:

TooMuchToLiveFor
05-02-14, 13:47
So glad to hear your daughter gave you a sweet homecoming. :)

Counseling is hard when it is opening old wounds to clean them out, but it has to happen for them to heal. What is the saying?….Emotions buried alive never die? …..Maybe I made that up, but seems I've heard that somewhere….. lol.

I know you have been with me since I started here, so you will already probably remember a lot of this……, but I was in total crisis mode I started Sert. I went from "no problems" (at least as far as I was feeling, but obviously I had some major PTSD moving in on me) to crippling panic and agoraphobia. Just thinking back to it takes my breath away. When I started the 50 everything got much, much worse. I was one of the ones that did have a lot of side effects, and I was in a state of constant panic for about two weeks. I then went to 75 for a week. My doctor wanted me to bite the bullet and go straight for 100 as she was desperate for me to start finding relief, but I couldn't stand the thought of jumping so high, so fast, so I did a week at 75 and then started 100.
My anxiety started lessening VERY SLOWLY over the next four weeks. I was also on a regimen of Xanax that helped get me through.
I am now somewhere around nine weeks, I think. Overall I am doing very well- but I do still have anxiety. Nothing I can't work through (and considering where I am coming from-I am so thankful to be where I am now), and as you said about yourself- I feel upbeat and positive, but it is still exhausting just having the anxiety still there. I definitely needed to be at 100 before I had any relief, and even though we don't want to go higher- if after another four weeks I am still struggling with this level of anxiety we may go up just a bit more. I think our first choice is to try to stay at 100 and let more time pass for healing.
The physical symptoms that still remain are the heart racing/pounding, chest hurting, tremors, electric feeling in arms and legs, and the general "anxious" feeling-- but none of these are severe….or at least they don't affect me severely- they just aggravate me and keep me uncomfortable. My mind chatter is pretty much under control and I am able to stop my catastrophic thoughts. (Mentally, I am actually feeling very healthy- however, I was feeling that way when this all hit too.) I am now sleeping until close to six every day- and would probably sleep longer if I didn't get disturbed. Once I wake up there is no going back to sleep, but at night when I lay down- I am out like a baby right away. Libido doesn't seem to be affected for me at this level as well. (Hard to tell though as I am still a little slow in that department after coming off the high risk pregnancy and birth.)

I think it is worth a discussion with your doctor about possibly going up with your dose since you have more anxiety creeping back in.

Let me know if you have any questions about something I might have missed.
Hoping today is going well for you so far!

MrAndy
05-02-14, 15:06
thanks TMT for some reason i feel a bit spaced out and not with it today,my anxiety now im up and at work isnt to bad but it has really bugged me the last few days.
I am still 50/50 if I will ask for a higher dose ,I think i will see how the weekend goes and take it from there
Its good to talk ,once again thanks for your support

MrAndy
25-02-14, 19:01
So today was a big day for me,I had an appointment with the consultant at the mental health clinic I am registered at.They have given me a full discharge and want to take me off meds in a few months time.I was nervous but glad of the outcome,I'm in no rush to get off the meds.As a bonus today has been anxiety free,good things come to those who wait :D

MrAndy
03-03-14, 13:42
I just had an interview with http://www.rethink.org/ ,they have put me on a 7 week free cbt group therapy course.The reason I have posted this was I know a lot of people have to wait months for a consultation.I got approved within a week after filling in the online referal.The people seemed very nice and understanding so I am looking forward to going.

MrAndy
20-03-14, 08:30
Im having a major wobble at the moment after being very stable and feeling good,why do these wobbles come and torture us.What is making it worse is my wife wont discuss it with me and basically told me this morning she is fed up of living with me like this.I feel a total failure , I was once a happy confident guy.At the moment I just want to crawl up into a ball in a dark corner

LiveAboveIt
20-03-14, 08:37
Anxiety is tough, bro. But you're not alone. Keep on grinding through. You can do it. Regardless of the sensation and fear that anxiety brings, NOTHING bad will happen to you.. It's such a small thing.. But it has a way of making itself look huge, powerful, and scary. Like a tiny creature infront of a light, casting a huge shadow.

You will get through this. Just keep doing what you're doing. Have faith in yourself. You can beat this. Anxiety is NOT incurable. It's a struggle, but you'll get there. Just remember.. It's fear that drives anxiety. Without fear, anxiety cannot exist.

phil6
20-03-14, 08:41
Mr Andy,
The journey to recovery is never smooth or one directional. It seems to always be interrupted by down days and blips which rob us of feeling well and remove any confidence that we have gained. These days always feel like it has dragged you back and that there is then a new uphill struggle to get back on track. That seems to be the way anxiety is.
A thought, or a bad reaction to a feeling is all that it takes. It's why we all feel so vulnerable.
However, just recognise that it is all part of recovery. Try not to buy into the thoughts that come rushing back. They are just thoughts. It will pass.
Of course it is difficult for our wives. They have heard our stories over and over and they cannot see why we need to be like this. All I can say is tell her that you understand and ask that she bears with you. It's hard for our family, unless they have experienced this.
Phil

MrAndy
20-03-14, 09:04
thanks guys ,im really feeling sorry for myself today ,im not sleeping great either most days i wake at 4 and cant get back to sleep which doesnt help