PDA

View Full Version : Overwhelmed with that dread feeling

phil6
16-12-13, 06:54
I have been worrying and dreading an event that I organised some weeks ago. It involved travel abroad and a few days staying in a hotel. The trip was for fun and pleasure but anxiety and fear of having a bad time has really made the anticipation awful.
I think the fear was mainly that I may not be up to go and let everybody down. On the day however I managed to get going and as soon as the trip got underway I suddenly felt quite positive. To cut a long story short I had a good time. There was drinking involved and that no doubt helped, but I really was my old self.
On the journey home the old anxieties returned and I started to feel that feeling of dread. This morning, one day after the trip, I wake with adrenaline rushing through me and all the old feelings of dread have returned. I have no plans or events coming up that causing anxiety, yet it feels like I do.
This dreaded morning feeling and my mind rushing to find a reason, is something that I've been going through regularly. I just cannot seem to reassure myself that there is nothing to worry about. I feel sick to the stomach and cannot calm myself.
It is almost like I need a couple of positive thoughts. Some affirmations which help me get through this feeling.
I know this is a common feeling for us. But it is the feeling that defeats me. I just don't seem to be able to get through this feeling without a load of negative thinking. My mind wants to find the reasons for my fears yet cannot come up with any answers. Worst of all I don't seem to be able to recall feeling well only 24 hour, or reassure myself that I can do the things I fear.
It feels out of control again... Overwhelming... Even though I don't have anything to fear today, or tomorrow. And I seem not to have gained any confidence from the last few days of success.
Just how to you cope with this feeling of dread?
Do you experience this?
Phil

Dying_Swan
16-12-13, 10:44
Hi Phil

First of all, well done for going away and I'm so pleased that you enjoyed yourself. I have been getting the feeling of dread too. I don't know what causes it, I guess adrenaline, although I find it quite different from a panic attack. As you say, it's very overwhelming. It's quite new to me and I don't really know what the answer is. Just wanted to say you are not alone xx

phil6
16-12-13, 17:00
Hi,
Thanks for the reply.
I did a session of CBT today and have been given a lot of homework on identifying and challenging my negative thinking patterns. Although I am not entirely confident about my ability to do this, my therapist is identifying this also as just another sign of a trend to think negatively.
I suppose I was asking if my anxiety feelings are unique to me. I always tend to think everyone else will respond well to therapy but not me...... There goes another negative thought!
I think I have to accept that my anxious spells include both physical discomfort and a whole raft of unhelpful thoughts.... I will be recording these and questioning whether they are based on facts.
He did explain that the very primitive part of my brain will respond to perceived danger in the same way as real danger and will produce both physical and mental processes which will work together to try and keep me safe. The thoughts are very much part of the process and will dominate over the logical part of the mind as it is designed to do this.
Hopefully the homework will bear fruit eventually.
Phil

jill
16-12-13, 17:34
Hi Phil :D:hugs:

First of all WELL DONE, on the holiday. You did great, you should be soooo proud of yourself :yesyes::yesyes:

This holiday alone would prove to me, that I CAN get over anxiety, is this not the case for YOU?

I feel you maybe looking far to much into a reason why your anxiety has come back, can it not be a simple reason, why dose it have to be so complicated, cannot not be just because here is where your bad memories are? can it be that simple? is this YOU?

I have looked inside out about anxiety, I am nooooo expert by any means, just someone whose had it.
But what I came to understand that we all, even people who don't suffer anxiety, can attach a very strong emotions to many things, eg, a song, a place, a person and ooohhh so many different things. when acute with anxiety, these emotions 50 fold.

Its great you are learning cbt, this IS a great tool to have, not only for anxiety, but for the rest of you life.

GOOD LUCK

LOVE JILL XX