PDA

View Full Version : Low blood sugar attack

Bonnibelle
16-12-13, 12:21
Has anyone else had one of these?

I have had a month of bad anxiety and have recently had to increase my Mirtazapine to help (15mg from 7.5mg). I have barely been eating for the last 4-5 weeks. Most days I only eat a banana, cereal bar and some soup.

Last night I had a sudden feeling of tingling lips and my hands and feet felt weak and my lower legs. I thought maybe it was anxiety but I had been watching tv, feeling relaxed and I wasn't hyperventilating at all. I ignored it and watched tv, but when I got up to go to the toilet I had a sudden feeling of weakness all over. My arms went like lead, so heavy and then I panicked, I was scared what was wrong with me. This caused me to go so hot, shaky, almost sick..... It lasted around 20 minutes.

I saw my GP today and he thinks my blood sugar dropped low and then I panicked on top of it.

It felt like the worst panic attack ever but much stronger and I couldn't control it. It has left me shaken up and I am scared 'what if it wasn't my blood sugar and I am going to be plagued by panic attacks that strong'.

MY GP said that the increase in medication wouldn't cause that, and I have been on the increased dose for 10 days now. He said he was sure my symptoms matched hypoglycemia and I needed to take it easy and eat little but often from now on.

Has anyone else had an attack of low blood sugar and felt like this?

vicky23
17-12-13, 20:32
yes I've experienced a low blood sugar attack I felt hot and tingly and totally weak I had some one help me to the floor cos I literally didn't have the strength to stand. I was at a festival at the time thankfully so the first aiders were right next to me and gave me a lucozade. I too had the same 'but what if you're wrong' fears.
I don't think there's any reason to assume you will be plagued with attacks like this again but anxiety will always be worse when your nutrition isn't the best so try to eat little and often and supplement with 'build up' shakes that you can get from boots or supermarkets.
best wishes
x