PDA

View Full Version : Help! This is all new to me!

sarah jane vinall
12-11-06, 00:55
I have always suffered with anxiety and just accepted it, I am a bit of a worrier, but last weekend, the morning after celebrating the wedding of my sister (to which I drank a lot of alcohol and a lot of coffee the following morning I may add) I got home and started having severe heart palpitations, my chest tightened up I couldn’t breath I lost all the feeling in my hands and was shaking all over! I was petrified and I thought I was having a heart attack and was going to die, and the more I thought this the worse it got! My boyfriend was so scared he called an ambulance! The paramedics calmed me down and explained to me that I was having a panic attack! It was so frightening. But then a couple of nights ago I was invited out for a drink so I went had a couple of vodkas and coke, the next day again I could feel heart palpitations which again led to my irregular breathing but I managed to calm myself down and started doing things so as not to think about my heart beat. It all feels so strange. I’m just a bit confused as to what is going on in my head right now, is this usual? I’m very scared! A part of me thinks I’m going a little mad, turning into a hypochondriac. I have contacted my doctor who said she wants me to have an ECG not because of any health reasons as I am young and fit and healthy but maybe it will help with my anxiety if she shows me that there isn’t actually any problem with my heart???? I haven’t stopped thinking about this since it happened and I’m petrified it’s going to happen again! It also worries me that I am going to have to give up my social life because of this, my friends, my boyfriend? Everything has to change, but I like everything the way it is and I don’t want it to change? What do I do?? What did you do??

Sarah[V]

manmoor
12-11-06, 01:31
Hi Sarah,

A big warm welcome to you.

Take Care

Mandyxx

domino
12-11-06, 06:24
HI, and welcome to you.my anxiety started out of the blue to. went to bed one night,the next morning ,BAM was it what happens to you when you reach 40,no, i do,nt have the answer yet but i,m working on it. I think everyone suffers with anxiety,they just do,nt know it yet. This is sounding silly i know, but i wish it wuld go away and i was back to normal. I,m learning to cope with it,and i know that one day i will be free of it. N.M.P. has helped me sooo much, you soon realise that you are not alone. Try not to think about it too much, visit your g.p. explain how your feeling, but most of all stay positive ,you will get better and do,nt forget we are all here for you. feel free to p.m. me anytime,take care. lorraine.:D:D

Sax
12-11-06, 07:58
Hi Sarah jane and a warm welcome to NMP.

Please try not to start thinking 'big' thoughts like what if it all has to change and just deal with the here and now. You will learn to cope and find strategies to help stop the panics getting out of hand and the more you stress about thinking you have to alter your whole life the more you will get uptight.
Sarah i'm sure you will find a lot of friends here who understand your situation, feel free to come into chat too to talk and find the support you need.

love Sax x[8D]

honeybee3939
12-11-06, 09:31
Hi Sarah

A BIG warm welcome to you , lovely to see you here, im sure you will get some great advice here while making new friends on the way.:D

First Steps:
First Steps to overcoming Panic and Anxiety (http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=942)

Love

Andrea
xxx

LickeyEndBlues
12-11-06, 10:57
Hi Sarah

Welcome to NMP.

You will find loads in here that will advise and support you through what you are going through.

With what you describe I think your suppression of your anxieties through a little bit of pop (ok, maybe a big bit) resulted in the attack/palpitations the following day. What your doc says is right, sometimes medical tests are not about finding out whats wrong but finding out that there isn't anything wrong.

Small steps and use this as much as you feel able to. You will find lots of folks here who can relate to wghat you say.

Take care

Iain

Laissez les bon temp roulez

kittymufc
12-11-06, 14:27
hi Sarah,
i am exactly the same one night it just started the shaking the dry mouth feeling like i was dying i also went to hospital and they did an ECG and it was fine that was in september but my symptoms are still here i have just started medication so im hoping i can get rid of this horrible thing very soon its funny but i drink vodka and coke think i will give that a miss now although it was caffine free.... you have made the right move coming on here it is very helpful...hope you feel better soon.....love k

trac67
12-11-06, 14:51
Hi Sarah,

Welcome to the forum, you will get a lot of good advice here and make some new friends.

Take care

Trac xx

'Live your life with arms wide open, today is where your book begins, the rest is still unwritten'

nomorepanic
12-11-06, 15:27
Hi Sarah

Welcome aboard and lovely to see you here.

There is no reason that this will stop you doing all the things you want to - just get on top of it now before it gets any worse and you will make a full recovery.

Hope we can be of some help anyway.

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

matilda
12-11-06, 20:37
Hiya and welcome to NMP you will get lots of advice here!!!

bev
12-11-06, 20:47
hi i went to the dr and said that i had a funny head, i told him it started off after my heart was pounding and i felt all panicky. he said i think it could be a heart problem. i went to the hospital terrified i had a heart problem and had a ECG, they checked everything and said i was fine, i now know the pounding was a panic attack and the funny head was depersonalisation a symptom of anxiety, i feel mad as the dr didnt reconize my symptoms i was only diagnosed after moving dr 2 years later. and also he cause me undue stress by making me think i had a serious health problem. so im sure yours is through having a few too many heavy nights and they are triggering off panic attacks. i hope this helps. bev:)

b.barnes

Fly2Freedom
12-11-06, 20:52
Hi welcome and a big hug for you.[:X]

Love xFlyx

sal
12-11-06, 23:23
Hi Sarah

In the end nothing will stop you been Sarah. It is hard i cant deny that but you will get there and we are all here to help you.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".