PDA

View Full Version : scared of death

johnny boy
16-12-13, 18:16
hello ive been recently scared that im going to die seems as im in my late 40s ad quite a few friends have died just like that and now im scared that im going to just drop. i get bad chest pains i suffer with heartburn and headaches recently 2 friends have passed around the same age and im scared please help

teej
16-12-13, 18:39
Hi Jay,

I'm 30 and suffering with the same fear at the moment.

You might be interested in this thread full of people with the same problems:

http://www.nomorepanic.co.uk/showthread.php?t=95960

Also, I've been taking citalopram for 6 weeks now. That's certainly helped lift my anxiety and this phobia so it might be worth a chat with your GP. I'm also starting some therapy to talk it over.

I'm feeling much more positive now than a month ago.

You can improve I'm sure!

T

johnny boy
16-12-13, 18:42
thanks your 30 the way i see it if you make it over your 50s you should live a long life you wait till you come in your 40s 50s friends drop like flies scary stuff.

machine
16-12-13, 19:10
Jay-I've never been scared of dying so I don't feel qualified to answer, but the truth is one day we will all die, but the knack is understanding that it could happen today, tomorrow, next week, next year or in 50 years. No one knows the number of their days or minutes and therefore it's important that we try and make the best of each moment that we have.

I can't say your not going to die, because one day you will and so will I but try and put the above into perspective (it's a Buddhist philosophy by the way) and hopefully you'll see things in a different light.

teej
16-12-13, 19:13
thanks your 30 the way i see it if you make it over your 50s you should live a long life you wait till you come in your 40s 50s friends drop like flies scary stuff.

Jay, with my health history, 50 at times has been optimism.

ElizabethJane
16-12-13, 21:45

Really I'm not sure about that? EJ

Breezy
16-12-13, 22:16
I think our own personal experiences can sometimes skew the truth. If several people around you have passed away in their 40's I can understand your anxiety and fear. This is the reality you have lived.

However, in a broader sense I don't think it's quite so clear cut. I know some 40 year olds that are in better health now than they were in their 20's!

The dreary truth is that babies die, children die, teens die, young adults die, 20's, 30's, 40's, 50's etc. When your numbers up, it's up!

In the meantime try and take care of yourself as much as possible which will most definiately help with some anxieties, good diet, exercise etc. Each time you start to worry about death, just remind yourself it does no good at all and spoils the time you do have left on the earth.