PDA

View Full Version : How to support my husband with anxiety-desperate!

MrsDB
16-12-13, 19:27
Hello everyone, I have been an avid reader on here for some time but have not posted before. I am not an anxiety sufferer myself but my husband is and it is now so bad that I don't know what to do any more to help him and is don't know where to turn so I am really hoping that someone may be able to point me to some useful guidance.

The anxiety is often triggered by something positive happening but then my husband feeling that he is somehow not up to it over doesn't deserve it or otherwise waiting for it all to go wrong. That means that major happy events in our lives are usually blighted so I no longer look forward to them - he does because he doesn't see the anxiety coming generally speaking. That includes our wedding, honeymoon, holidays and so on. The current episode was triggered by the news that I am pregnant (currently 11 weeks) which he wanted more than anything and is happy about it but has gone into a tailspin, saying that he will be a hopeless father etc.

I think the pregnancy is the limiting factor this time. I am usually pretty robust and can manage the sleepless nights, talking to him, reassuring etc but I am really struggling to hold it together with the pregnancy symptoms on top. We haven't told anyone yet and I don't feel like I can get him much involved in what is going on as the anxiety is bound to distort everything. He will come to the 12 week scan later this week. I am dreading if there is anything wrong with the baby, for the usual reasons but I know it will floor him and spiral into a dark anxiety period for him.

He only really sought any help for his anxiety earlier this year (apart from short term help during particular crises). He was prescribed Citalopram 10mg and those helped and he was on those for about 6 months at the start of the year. Alongside that, he did a course of Cognitive Analytical Therapy CAT - they were going to do CBT but after his first assessment, they recommended CAT. That course finished in September and he was very pleased with it, said he felt like he had the tools he needed to head off an attack when it next came. When we found out I was pregnant in late October, that melted away. He tried to hide it from me at first but I can always tell and eventually I got him to the GP 2 weeks ago. They have him back on Citalopram 10mg but I don't think they have kicked in yet and/or I am not convinced the dose is enough.

He doesn't like anyone knowing and we have lots of relatives landing for Christmas so I feel under immense pressure to keep the show on the road while distracting them from his meltdown in a room on his own, as usual making excuses for him, lying. I feel selfish even writing that-I will do anything to help him; I just don't know what that is any more and not sure I am up to it, even if I did know. He hasn't slept for 3 nights on the current run and only 2 nights in last fortnight and because he hasn't, neither have I. He is going back to the GP tomorrow so hopeful they may be able to do something to help him.

teej
16-12-13, 19:39
Hi MrsDB,

I hope you're not my wife. :D

My wife has survived two children (they're 51 weeks apart)... unfortunately financial pressure and anxiety led me to hitting the bottle pretty hard so I think you're in a better position than my wife.

I suffered anxiety pretty bad long before the children were born but kids are hard when you're depressed and anxious.

10mg of citalopram is a low dose - I'm on 20mg helped along with some benzos in the early days - I'm still struggling.

If your husband is going to the GP and receptive, you're in a good place already.

Holidays and relatives with anxiety for me always makes things worse because of lack of routine and the "shame factor".

There's lots of help out there.

Keep posting.

BobbyDog
16-12-13, 20:13
This must be so difficult for you, being your husbands carer, you need to get support for yourself as well as your husband. I would suggest having a look on the SANE and MIND websites to see if they offer any support to those who care for people with mental health problems.

It is hard when you and he cannot discuss these things with family and friends, but not an uncommon situation, personally once I started to open up to people about how I was feeling, it was a weight off my mind, I have stopped pretending.

A lot of people still feel there is a stigma attached to mental health problems, which is sad.

AndrewNolan
16-12-13, 21:01
It may be worth your husband speaking to some fathers who suffer with anxiety themselves to see how they cope/deal with the added pressure of having kids. Is he a member here? I know it's exceptionally difficult to open up, especially when you have anxiety but he may experience some relief by finally beginning to open up.

Also I'd be careful with your own health. Not getting any sleep is terrible. It may be worth sleeping separately for a bit just so that you get some sleep. He'll probably feel terrible about you doing that but you have to look after yourself as well.

MrsDB
16-12-13, 21:10
Thanks everyone for your very helpful replies. We have talked tonight and he has promised to be open with the doctor tomorrow about how he has been (this has not always been his natural inclination) so we'll see how he gets on tomorrow.

machine
16-12-13, 21:50
Hello everyone, I have been an avid reader on here for some time but have not posted before. I am not an anxiety sufferer myself but my husband is and it is now so bad that I don't know what to do any more to help him and is don't know where to turn so I am really hoping that someone may be able to point me to some useful guidance.

The anxiety is often triggered by something positive happening but then my husband feeling that he is somehow not up to it over doesn't deserve it or otherwise waiting for it all to go wrong. That means that major happy events in our lives are usually blighted so I no longer look forward to them - he does because he doesn't see the anxiety coming generally speaking. That includes our wedding, honeymoon, holidays and so on. The current episode was triggered by the news that I am pregnant (currently 11 weeks) which he wanted more than anything and is happy about it but has gone into a tailspin, saying that he will be a hopeless father etc.

I think the pregnancy is the limiting factor this time. I am usually pretty robust and can manage the sleepless nights, talking to him, reassuring etc but I am really struggling to hold it together with the pregnancy symptoms on top. We haven't told anyone yet and I don't feel like I can get him much involved in what is going on as the anxiety is bound to distort everything. He will come to the 12 week scan later this week. I am dreading if there is anything wrong with the baby, for the usual reasons but I know it will floor him and spiral into a dark anxiety period for him.

He only really sought any help for his anxiety earlier this year (apart from short term help during particular crises). He was prescribed Citalopram 10mg and those helped and he was on those for about 6 months at the start of the year. Alongside that, he did a course of Cognitive Analytical Therapy CAT - they were going to do CBT but after his first assessment, they recommended CAT. That course finished in September and he was very pleased with it, said he felt like he had the tools he needed to head off an attack when it next came. When we found out I was pregnant in late October, that melted away. He tried to hide it from me at first but I can always tell and eventually I got him to the GP 2 weeks ago. They have him back on Citalopram 10mg but I don't think they have kicked in yet and/or I am not convinced the dose is enough.

He doesn't like anyone knowing and we have lots of relatives landing for Christmas so I feel under immense pressure to keep the show on the road while distracting them from his meltdown in a room on his own, as usual making excuses for him, lying. I feel selfish even writing that-I will do anything to help him; I just don't know what that is any more and not sure I am up to it, even if I did know. He hasn't slept for 3 nights on the current run and only 2 nights in last fortnight and because he hasn't, neither have I. He is going back to the GP tomorrow so hopeful they may be able to do something to help him.

It sounds to me that he has some core self esteem issues and what is happening is that when something good happens in your lives this triggers his subconscious beliefs about himself and hence the anxiety kicks in. You say the therapy gave him the tools to head off an attack, but did it really get to the bottom of what his core beliefs about himself are?

I'm sure if he identifies what those beliefs are, challenge them cognitively and logically he will slowly start to see that he's not the hopeless loser he thinks he is. Either that or he fears change.

You situation sounds very much like one I have had.

I hope this helps.

swifty
16-12-13, 22:52
Hi, I'm a Dad who's suffered anxiety pretty much all my life without really understanding my situation. I have two fantastic daughters & have managed to find my way through life as they have grown up. Please be reasured that anxiety isn't the end of the world & to support each others needs at various challenging times is what life is all about, please keep talking. I finally realised that I needed help & my wife came with me to my GP, as a result I've been taking Citalopram 20mg for a year & it's taken away most of my anxiety. I still have days that I struggle, but overall I feel better & I'm much easier on myself. Take care & best wishes for your future together. :)