PDA

View Full Version : Panic attack journal & 'Dear me' notes

Eveline
12-11-06, 02:30
I've always kept journals, I got my first one when I was 10 (I'm 32 now) and as you can imagine, I've got many! Today I thought, why not start keeping one for my panic attacks. It will help me keep track of when I have them, what happened, how I felt, my thoughts of what might have triggered it, what coping method worked. And so I did. I wrote down what happened during the panic attacks of the last week (4! And a few teeny tiny ones that I nipped in the bud by using Recue Remedy), and started a list with date, when the attack happened (3 of the 4 right after waking up), and a rate from 0 to 10 for each of them. (2 were a 3, 2 were an 8/9)
I also copied the 'What to do if you are having a panic attack' list from this site and my own coping methods.

And then I thought, pfff, this is all getting very serious. I should try and make it a bit less depressing...

I've been keeping an art journal for a while now (just to have a change from the written journals, it helps to get my creative juices flowing), and I thought of writing myself some notes, things that could help me to cope.

So now, in the back of my journal, I have glued an envelope, I decorated it, and in it are little notes that start of with 'Dear me', and then a little affirmation/helpful message to myself.

*Dear me, Everyone's got their problems, having panic attacks is nothing to be ashamed of.

* Dear me, I love me! (And T., of course)

* Dear me, panick attacks do not last forever, I will survive!

* Dear me, I am creative enough to come up with the perfect solution for my panic attacks, every time!

* Dear me, think: So what?!

I'm sure I will add more as time goes by.

Maybe it's something you can try, too..

Insomniac
12-11-06, 09:41
I started keeping a journal about PAs to help me find triggers. I am not sure where mine started out apart from self confidence.

I was combining it with a food diary to check if my eating habits would affect it too, which I have found they have. Low GI is definitely better. And I do find that I am more edgy at different times of the month, which is interesting. But lots of us ladies are affected by PMT even if they don't have PAs, and adrenaline is just another hormone in the end. So I suppose it would have an effect.

I do remember to write down what helped, and how soon I managed to get back in control which helps me feel more confident about controlling the panic, rather than it controlling me.

Positive affirmations feel silly when you first say them, but they do work in the end if you stick with it. What a great idea!

Lisa.

Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover.

honeybee3939
12-11-06, 09:53
Hi Eveline,

I keep a journal too, i have wrote in it all the achievements i have made, then when i feel i am having a bad day i can have a look, it makes me feel better knowing what milestones i have got through.

Love

Andrea
xxx

nomorepanic
12-11-06, 15:41
Hi Eveline

It is an excellent idea to write it down so you can see how you have progressed.

I also used to do tape recordings of how I felt and I kept a scrap book of successes. So, for example, when I went on a bus for the first time again I kept the bus ticket and stuck it in my scrap book.

It is good to look back on these things isn't it?

Nicola

People will forget what you said
People will forget what you did
But people will never forget how you made them feel

sal
12-11-06, 23:47
Hi Eveline

You are dong the best thing writing it all down. I do now but regret not doing it earlier. You are facing it face on and that is they way to beat it. If you ever want to talk pm me.

Love Sal xx

Dont mess up the best things in your life, just because at present you are unsure who you are.

"Life is a distance and to travel that distance you were given the strength and guidance to do so".