PDA

View Full Version : Safety Zone and feeling a bit ill

Jamesflames
16-12-13, 22:26
I've been feeling a bit ill over the weekend. Just aching and hot and tired. Normally I feel quite comfortable travelling up to about 40 min from home so today I set off to do a bit of work at about this distance. However, by the time I had gone about half way I started to get badly panicky. I pulled over and tried to relax for 10 min or so, but still felt terrible so went back to the office instead to do some other work there.
I have noticed this before that when I feel a bit out of sorts I feel so much more anxious and my safety zone seems to shrink. I mentioned it to a cbt therapist once and he seemed surprised. Is it just me or do you guys get this too?

cheshirecatqee
17-12-13, 17:39
Nope I used to get that and that's why cbt never worked for me.

PanchoGoz
17-12-13, 18:59
It's times like that where the work you put in really counts. What's the use in managing something easily on a "good day" and saying you've done it when you haven't done it on a bad day feeling ill? CBT teaches you that you don't have to turn back. You can accept that everyone has bad days whether they have anxiety or not, but anxious people are very sensitive to if they feel a bit out of sorts. For us that can ruin the day and put plans in danger. For others, they just notice it once and get on with things and before they know it they feel better. It's possible to say I feel a bit bad today and my anxiety is magnifying it, but I am still able to do what I was going to do.

Jamesflames
17-12-13, 21:46
Wise words Pancho. It's easier said than done though. It seems to be passing now so back on the horse I get.