PDA

View Full Version : High blood pressure worries

kahi35
17-12-13, 07:13
Hi I have been trying to distinguish if my anxiety is brining on high blood pressure readings. Been to my Gp and cardio docs and reading runs 130-150's over 83-100. They say I have white coat syndrome . I can feel when I'm worked up. My last reading was taken at drs office which was 140/88. So I told myself I wouldn't take it till I go back for my follow up appt. but I didn't stick to my plan I went to the store tonight and was debating to take it and I decided to take it. And it was high 150/101 i felt anxious as soon as I saw the reading I felt burning in my arms and chest. I'm just confused because I thought I wasn't anxious so I don't know how can I tell if the high Bp readings are coming from anxiety. I go back to my doctor jan to follow. Anyone going through this too ?

machine
17-12-13, 07:21
Hi I have been trying to distinguish if my anxiety is brining on high blood pressure readings. Been to my Gp and cardio docs and reading runs 130-150's over 83-100. They say I have white coat syndrome . I can feel when I'm worked up. My last reading was taken at drs office which was 140/88. So I told myself I wouldn't take it till I go back for my follow up appt. but I didn't stick to my plan I went to the store tonight and was debating to take it and I decided to take it. And it was high 150/101 i felt anxious as soon as I saw the reading I felt burning in my arms and chest. I'm just confused because I thought I wasn't anxious so I don't know how can I tell if the high Bp readings are coming from anxiety. I go back to my doctor jan to follow. Anyone going through this too ?

You might not think your anxious but your body is by the sounds of it.

spacebunnyx
17-12-13, 09:58
Hi,

I have white coat syndrome... I just look at a BP monitor and it goes up. Normally at the dr's its between 145-130/105-90. I also had an episode of hypertensive crisis when I had a seizure with v v hight BP (over 180/140) I blacked out so don't know how high it actually went - actually this is what triggered my white coat syndrome. But in hindsight made me realise that BP can go so high and we still survive.

I know some people disagree with it but I bought myself a BP monitor, lo and behold... normal BP when I'm at home. I did take quite a few readings at first but then got bored as they were all fine.. still goes up at the GP's though. Don't worry about my BP any more

xxx

robin321
17-12-13, 11:35
I am going through this right now also! Two yrs ago I took my BP at the pharmacy and it was 160 over 105. It had always been normal before that. And by before, I mean literally just the week before. I kept taking it, and it was always high. Finally I had a 24hr monitor put on, and to my surprise it was normal (123 over 83).

For 2 yrs I avoided any doctor for fear of having it taken again. But after putting it off, I had my annual physical last week.

I was very, very nervous. My normal resting heart rate is around 65. That day it was in the 90's and 100's. The thing is I didn't necessarily feel nervous.

Of course at the doc it was 155 over 100. The doc told me I have to take it 3 times a week. I avoided it for 2 yrs, so this was a nightmare for me.

I bought the monitor, and honestly it has helped. I don't take it often because I am always with my wife when at home and it would bother her if I did (which actually helps limit mean). It always starts high (160) and comes down to the 130's.

I realized that anxiety effects your blood pressure even without you knowing. Just thinking about the reading will dramatically increase it. I get my best readings when I am focused on something else. So you may not think you are nervous. But just the fact that you are thinking about it, and it is bothering you (you are here) will effect the reading.

I don't have any further advice as I am still going through this also. I have 3 more week of taking my own readings. But you are not alone! And I have a feeling it is anxiety!

kahi35
17-12-13, 14:37
Thank you for your response and helpful words. Yeah even I have a home monitor and I don't take it at home because its high and it gets worse at home too. I'm gonna cut salt intake and exercise regular to see if that helps.