PDA

View Full Version : Extreme health anxiety after drinking rubbing alcohol?

twc712
17-12-13, 18:59
i'm 16, and i drank rubbing alcohol BY ACCIDENT AND I HAVE BEEN TO THE DOCTORS. It wasn't entirely my fault, i abused someones trust at their house with a friend and drank vodka when they were out (rubbing alcohol had been added to this for some reason idk), I know this was a stupid mistake but we are meant to be able to learn from things like this, but i'm scared that i've damaged myself. I didn't drink enough to get drunk off the mixture. Its been 3 months now nearing 4, and its been giving me serious health anxiety. I didnt go to doctors at first because my friends persuaded me out of it, but i did tell my parents and we went to the doctor, i've had tests done including liver and kidney and anemia etc and they all came back fine. I had a urinalysis because i have bubbles which wouldn't go away in my urine and it came back fine. My brain continuously tells me that these tests were wrong, or that they were not done correctly, and i am obsessing over kidney disease. My symptoms include fatigue, loss of apetite, pains in my back which seem to come and go randomly all over, itchy skin, the skin on my face has become particuly bad it is rough and dry when it was usually completely fine. could i be ill from the rubbing alcohol? I have continued to worry about for a very long time now. When i drank the alcohol, nothing really happened, except a stomach ache that night which could of been due to extreme paranoia and my eyes were sore, which could of been from staring at screens a lot. I also had my eyes tested and they were fine. I am just so worried i have done something really really stupid, and if i have damaged myself i don't think i can ever forgive myself and i know others won't either. Could this all be paranoia, or is it real? Just a couple of days ago, i touched my face, and now i can't stop touching it and prodding because iv'e convinced myself my face is swollen and puffy meaning facial edema, i don't know what to do. I do things like check my hands and feet many times through out the day for edema because it's a symptom of kidney disease. I just can't stop obsessing over this, and i'm still terrified i am dying. I wish this never happened, but it did, and now i don't know if i need to ask for more tests, or see some sort of therapist if this really is all in my head. Thank you for any help or advice you offer. I am not asking for a medical diagnosis, but only advice or personal opinions on what i need to do to get through this period in my life with out losing it.

HoneyLove
17-12-13, 20:12
Hi twc, have you spoken to anyone about how you've been feeling? Are you getting any help with your anxiety issues?

jillyb
17-12-13, 20:17
Please go and talk to your doctor about all your fears. If he can't convince you perhaps he could get you some counselling. You are so young and you really need to sort these feelings out now so that you are not on this site in years to come! I only wish I had had help when I was young, but they didn't bother then. Take care x

twc712
17-12-13, 20:30
I told my doctor about my anxiety, but as i have always been an anxious person she said that it was nothing to worry about, but i don't think this is normal. Do i again talk to her about it? i feel that she is getting tired with my constant health worries over the last couple of months:(

HoneyLove
17-12-13, 20:36
Yes, go to talk to her about it and tell her you would like some help dealing with it. Ask her about therapy or CBT, both of which are highly recommended for anxiety problems.

If she doesn't listen to you then it might be time to switch GPs, they should always take mental health concerns seriously, especially if it's affecting your life to this extent.

Since you are just 16 I would also suggest that you talk to a parent about it too, they will be able to help you through this.

twc712
17-12-13, 21:14
so, do you think that my problems are purely anxiety related? i understand you cannot give me a diagnosis etc. Also my parents get irritated whenever i mention my paranoia/anxiety. They have a very close minded view of mental illness.

katesa
17-12-13, 21:36
Oh dear. I hate to see people so young have these issues. It's hard enough for us (sort of) grown ups!

Honeylove is doing a fantastic job advising you - let me tell you, what this lady doesn't know about living with anxiety isn't worth knowing.

All I can add is that every thing you said sounds very much anxiety related to me.

twc712
17-12-13, 21:47
Thank you very much for the help everyone, i will attempt to persuade my parents to take this seriously and maybe find me some help for this as i don't think i can continue like this alone. Any other advice or help anyone has is very welcome.

Cammy
18-12-13, 00:05
What is rubbing alcohol?

You need your parents support the most out of everyone in the world. Tell them how thy truly feel. You'll be fine :)

twc712
18-12-13, 11:42
Rubbing alcohol is just a different kind of alcohol, it is very harmful to humans so there fore it has given me very bad health anxiety. I will talk to my parents, again, thank you very much for all the advice:)

twc712
18-12-13, 21:45
so i am not sure if i am allowed to ask another question through this post, but here goes anyway. How exactly would i go about asking for therapy or some sort of help? do i just say ' i think i need help with my anxiety'? how will they know i really need help? and also, is it okay for to keep using these reassurance techniques...because well, they are very reassuring:L

Fishmanpa
18-12-13, 23:06
so i am not sure if i am allowed to ask another question through this post, but here goes anyway. How exactly would i go about asking for therapy or some sort of help? do i just say ' i think i need help with my anxiety'? how will they know i really need help? and also, is it okay for to keep using these reassurance techniques...because well, they are very reassuring:L

Hi Twc,

Yes, that's pretty much what you need to do. I don't know what the laws are in the UK but as a minor you would most likely have to go to your parents as I don't know if you could get an appointment on your own at 16. Explain to them in a very calm and serious way that you need their help because you are having difficulty dealing with some feelings and emotions. Ask them to help you find someone you can talk to about these feelings. Let them know that these feelings are causing you distress and you really need some help. If they ask you about your feelings, just be honest and tell them. As far as reassurance? Many here will tell you that while getting reassurance helps a bit in the short run, ultimately it's not the answer to dealing with your anxiety and only delays the inevitable which is getting help in dealing with it.

I went through some rough times when I was a little older than you and my parents were pretty cool about it and found me someone to talk to (a psychologist). It helped me a lot.

Good luck and positive thoughts

twc712
18-12-13, 23:46
Thank you for your response, but do you think i truly need help? i understand that i was anxious and worried about it enough to create a thread about it, but in all honesty, i'm extremely embarassed and guilty to ask for help because i feel that i bought on the anxiety on by myself.

Fishmanpa
18-12-13, 23:53
Thank you for your response, but do you think i truly need help? i understand that i was anxious and worried about it enough to create a thread about it, but in all honesty, i'm extremely embarassed and guilty to ask for help because i feel that i bought on the anxiety on by myself.

You asked for advice and the overall consensus was to get some help with the feelings you're having. I understand why you would feel embarrassed but the fact that you have these feelings and asked for help on a public forum should give you the answer to your question. Read the responses again and make a decision. Hopefully you'll take the advice given as it's real life advice based on personal experience.

Positive thoughts

twc712
19-12-13, 00:03
okay, i understand what you are saying. I will seriously think about it. Thank you very much to everyone who commented on this thread and took time out of there day in doing so to give me advice. It is very appreciated :)