PDA

View Full Version : Trouble Swallowing

freefee
17-12-13, 19:27
just wandered if this is a common effect for people on here? I have had trouble swallowing for many years, but recently it has got worse to the point where I sometimes have trouble even swallowing water etc. obviously if I didn`t have bad anxiety I would seek medical help, thinking throat cancer maybe? but I just put it down to a side effect of my anxiety, any advice welcome,
thanks

Fishmanpa
17-12-13, 19:36
just wandered if this is a common effect for people on here? I have had trouble swallowing for many years, but recently it has got worse to the point where I sometimes have trouble even swallowing water etc. obviously if I didn`t have bad anxiety I would seek medical help, thinking throat cancer maybe? but I just put it down to a side effect of my anxiety, any advice welcome,
thanks

While throat constriction/trouble swallowing is a symptom of anxiety, not being able to swallow and it getting progressively worse is something I would get checked out, even for your own peace of mind.

Positive thoughts

freefee
17-12-13, 20:12
I did mention it to my dr the last time I saw him, but he put it down to my anxiety, without checking me out, I think I will ask him to take a closer look next time I see him, probably a side effect of my anxiety, but like you say, it would be nice to have peace of mind regarding this issue, thanks

Fishmanpa
17-12-13, 20:24
I did mention it to my dr the last time I saw him, but he put it down to my anxiety, without checking me out, I think I will ask him to take a closer look next time I see him, probably a side effect of my anxiety, but like you say, it would be nice to have peace of mind regarding this issue, thanks

Ahhh, I didn't know your doc had been in the loop recently. But still, having him take a peek next time you're in can't hurt. Are you getting treatment for your anxiety?

Positive thoughts

freefee
18-12-13, 16:08
I have had anxiety problems for over 30 years, had all the normal treatments and counselling etc, the only thing that really helps is diazepam, which I have been on for over 30 years, large dosages of 1250 mg`s every 28 days, which still isn`t enough, but my dr won`t increase my dosage as he says I am on the maximum allowed

Fishmanpa
18-12-13, 16:16
I have had anxiety problems for over 30 years, had all the normal treatments and counselling etc, the only thing that really helps is diazepam, which I have been on for over 30 years, large dosages of 1250 mg`s every 28 days, which still isn`t enough, but my dr won`t increase my dosage as he says I am on the maximum allowed

Dang... Sorry to hear that you've been suffering for so long :( There are many self help techniques mentioned here by members like CBT, mindfulness and relaxation/breathing/meditation techniques that help many. It takes desire and determination but it certainly can't hurt to try.

Positive thoughts