PDA

View Full Version : Redemption at work

NE21 worrier
17-12-13, 22:38
Hello everyone,

Tomorrow is an interesting day for me. My employer, in their wisdom, have decided to change my line of business (i.e. work role) back to one which I really struggled with back in March, causing a two-month absence between April and June.

Things are a little different this time, though. I've been through a course of CBT and it has taught me to feel much more certain of myself - in life, generally - as I realised very quickly that any anxiety I get stems from a lack of self-confidence/low self-esteem. Improving my perspective on life, having more faith in my own opinions and actions, seem to have helped.

Like everyone I guess, I don't like not being able to do something well and this is particularly frustrating when learning a new skill/work role. But, in the past with me, any failure - or perceived failure - has usually just descended into panic.

This time, the training has been better and I feel as if I have more idea what I am doing. It's one of those jobs (contact centre worker) where the proof is in the pudding, though. Until I am actually doing it, rather learning theory, I won't know if I can or not.

As I've said above, I've got more faith in myself to do it now, however. Goodness knows why I have started a thread on this as I'm just trying not to make this too big a deal. I've often found that that's exactly when things start to go wrong.

But here I am anyway. I guess it's just nice to be able to write a hopeful OP and it's somewhere to keep anyone interested updated. I didn't like this work role previously but this is a real chance of redemption if I can just stick in and nail this, particularly as my contract is up for renewal in March...

Thanks for reading,
Peter x:)

blue moon
18-12-13, 11:30
Hi Peter....keep being positive and assertive in your role at work,you are sounding like you are enjoying it.On a positive, You will renew your contract,Good luck.

Petra :D

Fishmanpa
18-12-13, 15:15
Great Post and kudos for taking a big step forward! It's a testament of what CBT, desire and determination can do.

Positive thoughts!

NE21 worrier
19-12-13, 09:45
Hi everyone,

Just an update: I only took two calls on the new line of business yesterday due to the training being extended a little. Both seemed to go ok and I had a pleasant evening last night.

I've woken up with rushes of adrenaline this morning, however, with two obvious symptoms which always rear their head when I am anxious - these are a tight chest and stomach, and me imagining full conversations (mainly with people at work).

I suppose these will go away, or lessen in intensity, once I become more settled in my new role. I'm not the only one who was nervous yesterday so I've got to give myself a chance.

Summary: I think I've made a reasonable start at this but waking up this morning feeling more nervous than usual has given me a bit of a jolt and reminded me of some previous struggles. Nevertheless, at this stage, I think the best decision which I can make is to go in and get on with it, and see how I do.

Thanks for reading. Peter :)

NE21 worrier
22-12-13, 13:27
Update Thursday and Friday went pretty well, also. Anxiety about the new line of business is settling down somewhat just by me being brave and facing the situation by taking the calls and learning from the experiences. Not easy but remarkably simple.

Anyway, I'm back on our traditional line of business (Tax Credits) on Monday and Tuesday morning then off until the New Year. The department had slightly misjudged the peak on the other line and there just weren't enough calls coming through to keep us busy. Typical!:doh:

Peter.

Tanner40
22-12-13, 13:34
Peter, excellent post. You seem to have handled this work change in a positive and proactive manner. It's quite normal to feel slightly anxious when your routine and work duties have changed. Thanks for the positive post. Keep up the great work!

Shake
22-12-13, 14:09
Hi Peter I hope things go well for you it seems you have put in alot of effort so it must be easier this time round for you, good luck :)