PDA

View Full Version : Bad today but distraction does work!

fedup36
18-12-13, 09:37
Hi All,

Thought I would share this with you.
The past week and a half I have felt considerably better, I haven't had a single panic attack and have been dealing with the little symptoms I have very well.

Now I was trying to figure out what had changed and I honestly believe its genuine distraction.

Ive had to look after my boyfriends foster sisters this week, 3 girls with special needs so they take a lot of attention and looking after. I have been getting up, doing the school run, picking them up after I've finished work, cooking dinner, doing homework, bed time routines and then I have about an hour to myself in the evening where I crash on the sofa!

I didn't have time in the morning to feel rubbish, at work my symptoms died down, probably as I haven't been having horrible thoughts and then I am to busy in the evening to think.

Im not going to lie I haven't been symptom free and have had a few dizzy spells but that was after I went out for a meal which is a big trigger for me.. but that's pretty much it.

Now heres the thing, my other halfs parents came back last night so no school run this morning and guess what happens, I wake up pretty much in a panic, sweating, shaking, a few palps can hear my heart beat in my head, dizzy etc etc... I manage to get back to sleep but I feel awful this morning, my mouth keeps shaking, I have these weird internal vibrations when I wake up which make me fear I am having a seizure... I've made it to work but don't feel great atall and can feel myself tensing up.

I thought I would just share this experience to show that genuine distraction does work. My mum always says if you were really ill, it would genuinely stop you being able to do things and it wouldn't disappear when you are truly distracted.

Have a nice day :)

jimbobrooney
18-12-13, 09:46
excellent stuff

so go out there and volunteer !

skippy66
18-12-13, 10:37
I know I bang on about distraction being key to recovery but posts like this show you why it really does work. You also need to work on acceptance of your symptoms, but distraction is fantastic even though sometimes the thought of finding a distraction can seem unbearable.

fedup36
18-12-13, 11:09
This is the thing you see Skippy with distraction and acceptance, last week I was almost to busy to think they were worse than just anxiety symptoms..

However today I am back to the old me, thinking I have some underlying heart issue now and I am on the verge of having a seizure! I have lots happening over the next few weeks and its my last day at work today so hopefully things will get on the up :)

Tanner40
18-12-13, 12:22
Great job, FedUp! Be proud of your realization. That is a big step. Now you just have to ask yourself to make a list of all the distractions that you can utilize. That's the kind of thing I do to be proactive and prepared. Congratulations!