PDA

View Full Version : a book to recommend

jos
12-11-06, 18:28
hi all

I spotted a book I found very positive to read

"Its OK to be neurotic - using your neurosis to your advantage"

by Dr Frank Bruno (not the Frank Bruno !!)

ISBN 1-59337-025-3

it deals with all the positve aspects associated with neuroses such as a strong sense of morality and wanting to do the right thing, being careful and concerned with safety and many more

It looks at how in extreme our anxieties can be a real problem but if chanelled and controlled they can be an wonderful asset to ourselves, our jobs and lives

It also covers depression and anger as a response to anxiety and how to deal with these

so many things in this book clicked with me and have been what my bosses and friends have been telling me for years about my strengths that i couldn't really see in myself

hope someone finds this useful

cheers jos

LickeyEndBlues
12-11-06, 18:32
Thanks for that Jos.

Laissez les bon temp roulez

rmlamatt
22-11-06, 21:04
Dear Jos, Thanks for the info on book. I myself can attest to the statement you made, (((It looks at how in extreme our anxieties can be a real problem but if chanelled and controlled they can be an wonderful asset to ourselves, our jobs and lives)))

My panic attacks of 46 years, along with agoraphobia led me to write my own memoir, Fears Flutterby. It was a quest for a long long time and when it was finished I laughed, shouted, and jumped up and down. For I knew if it wasn't for my old friends...panic...agoraphobia...anxiety...etc. I never would have accomplised what I did. So yes, I do agree with your statement chanelled and controlled, they can be a womderful asset.

Thanks for sharing the book.
Rose / rm Lamatt

Don't walk in front of me I may not follow.
Don't walk behind me I may not lead.
Just walk beside me and be my friend

matt1981
26-11-06, 18:56
Anyone read "Overcoming Anxiety" by Helen Kennerley? I find self help books difficult because I have trouble following self help books because I dont know whether I should read the whole thing or go through it bit by bit.