PDA

View Full Version : Pregabalin questions

relda
19-12-13, 12:03
Hi I'm new to the forum, but have been looking around for a little while.

I've suffered from levels of anxiety that stop me doing things for a very long time. In the past I've been treated for depression but haven't really spoken out about the rest.

Recently I returned to work and bang, got hit by serious levels of panic and anxiety. My GP has now prescribed me Pregabalin, I'm starting on 50mg 3x a day for a week and then 100mg 3x a day for a week. The plan is to get to around 450mg/600mg but taking 3x a day.

So far, so good, I've read the list of many side effects which worry me.

How do others on here tolerate Pregabalin?

Does it make a difference taking it 2 or 3 times a day? I find I get a bit sleepy in the afternoons at the moment.

SarahH
19-12-13, 15:58
Hi welcome to NMP,

The side effects of pregablin will wear off as your body gets used to it. The time this takes will vary from person to person. I would advise taking pregabalin on a full stomach as this helps reduce any SE's.
You may find that 300mgs works for you of you may need to go up to 400mgs a day which is the recommended theraputic dose. See how it goes. I take mine twice a day (200 morning and 200 evening). After your first week you may already see an improvement....I felt better after the first day on 100mgs !!!! But others need a few weeks to feel any changes.

Good luck....it's been great for me:)

Sarah

relda
19-12-13, 21:26
Thank you Sarah.

I'm noticing that my anxiety worsens about 3 hours after taking a tablet, so I guess it's calming things.

hanshan
20-12-13, 10:17
Hello Relda,

Good luck with pregabalin, and here's hoping it gets those anxiety levels down to where you're out doing things without even having to think about anxiety.

Don't worry about the list of side effects - every medication has those. Generally, pregabalin side effects reduce over the first weeks. Some may linger on, but are generally far more tolerable than the now-gone anxiety ever was. No-one can predict exactly how pregabalin will affect you, but after a few weeks you will have a clearer picture.

As your body adjusts to new dosages of pregabalin, there can be a bit of an up and down roller-coaster feeling. This does level out. You don't have to increase the dose every week - some people respond well at lower doses, so there is no need to increase the dose. Others may want to go up to 600 mg per day. Go slow, if you want - it's your choice.

It's good to see that GPs are finally prescribing pregabalin for anxiety (it was approved seven years ago) - it was only a year or two ago that most of them would have had to look it up for anxiety, and then complain that it was too expensive.

relda
20-12-13, 12:19
I'm lucky in that my GP is really good and so is the practice :-)

I'm really hoping it does work, I've put up with anxiety on one level or another. I've been my own worst enemy & never seen anyone even though it's stopped me from doing a lot of things. It got to the point where I had to see someone, I'm really struggling at the moment.