PDA

View Full Version : What happens if I am resistant to medication?

Her Indoors
19-12-13, 13:06
I have been suffering terribly with severe anxiety and depression and have been taking medication. Mirtazapine and Sertraline didn't work for me and now I am taking Trimipramine and Pregabalin. I still feel terrible and am not coping, having very high anxiety all day and am hopelessly depressed. What if no medication can help me? I can't take much more. I have always taken my tablets correctly to the letter. Advice please as I am desperate. I would even consider ECT or surgery, as my quality of life is so poor. Many thanks.

J xxx

Annie0904
19-12-13, 13:10
How long have you been taking the new medication as it can take quite a few weeks for it to 'kick in'

Her Indoors
19-12-13, 13:54
Hi there, have been taking both new meds since about September if memory serves, long enough I think to be helping. Took the Sertraline for six months and it didn't work for me unfortunately. Getting very desperate.

J xx

MrAndy
19-12-13, 14:07
Hello Her indoors
it took me 5 medication changes to find the right one ,i know its frustrating but you need to have another talk with your doctor.I wouldnt take no for an answer from mine.
This also goes for choosing the correct therapy and counsellor,I am now on my third and happy with her even though she makes me cry at times :)
keep fighting it and moving forward,you will get better :hugs:

Her Indoors
19-12-13, 14:23
Hi Andy,

Where do you get the strength to keep fighting though? I am so afraid and have zero motivation. Wish I could go to hospital, not sure if they could or would help me. I am at rock bottom.

Hope you are ok though.

J xxx

MrAndy
19-12-13, 14:31
Hi Andy,

Where do you get the strength to keep fighting though? I am so afraid and have zero motivation. Wish I could go to hospital, not sure if they could or would help me. I am at rock bottom.

Hope you are ok though.

J xxxbelieve me you dont want to go to hospital its horrible and leaves you scarred,you just have to carry on and fight thats all you can do really.
Have you spoke to your doc about it ? If he/she doesnt help find another that will.I am under the local mental health team that have honestly been fantastic Again i had to push for all of this support ,you should do the same.It will get easier with the correct support
sorry i cant hep anymore

Her Indoors
19-12-13, 14:42
Hi Andy,

Thank you for taking the time to reply to my posts, I really appreciate it. I am also under the mental health team, and have been having weekly visits, but I still feel so very terrible with constant anxiety which never goes. I am getting very desperate, people are trying to help me, but the medication doesn't really help me. It will be February before my next Consultant appointment and I know I won't improve. Each day has become torture for me.

What medication do you take, if you don't mind me asking?

I am going to ask for ECT I cannot cope for much longer.

Kindest regards

J xxxxx

PanchoGoz
19-12-13, 16:45
Hi Her Indoors,
Sounds like you might be having a down day. One of those days where it is hard to see the light. How is your eating as sleeping at the moment? Make them first priority. Are you keeping yourself occupied too?
If you can have a good meal and a night's sleep, maybe see how you feel in the morning. Some days everything just seems too much.
As for carrying on through it all...you just do. You're still fit and healthy - the only problem is what's going on in between your ears. The world is waiting for you to reconnect with it and it can wait forever if needs be.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

And how long have you been suffering?

Her Indoors
19-12-13, 17:49
Hi Her Indoors,
Sounds like you might be having a down day. One of those days where it is hard to see the light. How is your eating as sleeping at the moment? Make them first priority. Are you keeping yourself occupied too?
If you can have a good meal and a night's sleep, maybe see how you feel in the morning. Some days everything just seems too much.
As for carrying on through it all...you just do. You're still fit and healthy - the only problem is what's going on in between your ears. The world is waiting for you to reconnect with it and it can wait forever if needs be.

---------- Post added at 16:45 ---------- Previous post was at 16:43 ----------

And how long have you been suffering?

Hi there,

Unfortunately I have been like this for nearly a year now, eating is becoming a problem for me again and sleeping not great now, waking up very early with a panic attack and unrelentless anxiety.

Wish I could have a brain transplant as this one doesn't work now. I have been crying so much, but today, I am at the end of my tether and can't even cry. I hate this whiney, pathetic person I have become, sitting about in my nightie trying to get better. I am going to ask for ECT, nothing could be as bad as how I am feeling now, I don't care if it hurts or I get brain damage, my quality of life is so poor at the moment nothing can be worse.

Sorry for rant, I am desperate.

J xx

PanchoGoz
19-12-13, 19:07
Ok, a year is only a tiny amount of your life if you think about it. Some have been like this for many years so try to keep that in mind. ECT really is a last resort for those who have tried everything. As mr andy says, there's a lot to try and you will find something that helps! The human spirit is an amazing thing, it just keeps on going. What are you doing to help yourself at the moment? You don' have to rely solely on medication and you should be trying to get some exercise, keep occupied and, even if you don't feel like eating at all, just get it down. If you bring it back up, try again. Nothing helps your appetite like actually putting food in there. It teaches your body that it is ok to rest and digest.
Walk upright, smile and pretend you are ok. Keep up the pretence. Thoughts follow behaviour.

EllyW
19-12-13, 21:07
Please hang in there. I had a terrible bout for 11 months and wished I would die. Finally the right meds helped, I went back to work (got a new job which I loved) and life was truly wonderful. I'm a bit down again now, 6 years on, but know there's light at the end of the tunnel. I promise you'll look back and feel the same. I bet this time in a few months you'll be posting great advice to people on here about your recovery. If in need, PM me xxxxx

Her Indoors
20-12-13, 08:56
Thank you for all your replies. I just can't see any hope at the moment. I am consumed with anxiety and can barely function. I just can't see any hope. I have begged my husband to get a message to my Consultant. I can't cope at the moment. I can't eat, shake all the time and my head is in turmoil. I have barely left my bed in three days now, I don't know how I will cope with Christmas. Not sure how anyone can help me now. I want to go to hospital.

NorthernGeek
20-12-13, 09:39
I went to my doctor with severe depression, anxiety & negative/intrusive thoughts six weeks ago & was initially started on 20mg Citalopram. After over five weeks though, I was in tears when I saw my doctor two days ago & told him that it just wasn't working at all. He said he wasn't sure whether to try a different anti-depressant, but that I should try increasing the dose to 40mg Citalopram first.

I was worried about being resistant to medication too, since I have always had problems with headaches & painkillers have almost no effect on them at all (Aspirin, Paracetemol, Ibuprofen, Codeine, multi-coloured migraine pills, I've tried them all). Even when I go to the dentist, I always seem to need more anaesthetic as the nerves in my teeth are very sensitive.

I've only been taking 40mg Citalopram for three days now, but even though I still feel emotional & depressed, my negative/intrusive thoughts have faded dramatically & I am quite optimistic that the higher dose of medication might actually work for me this time.

I would certainly recommend asking your doctor's advice on trying different forms of medication before considering anything as drastic as ECT. Obviously you need to do what is best for yourself, but personally I would never agree to ECT under any circumstances, as I just don't trust it.

Hope you start to feel better soon