PDA

View Full Version : Finding it hard to return to the doctor

Bullets4all
19-12-13, 15:07
Hi to all,

I've been battling depression/anxiety for about five years. After years of psychotherapy/CBT, all the professionals agree they can't treat me without a chemical aid, so I was prescribed Citalopram 20g.

I felt like I did when my depression started, numb & disconnected. It made me very sleepy, so I'd take it at night. I'd wake up feeling tenser than usual with sore itchy eyes. I felt thirsty and had more headaches/nightmares than usual. I took the tablets for 28 days and most of these symptoms continued after I stopped. Have others had a similar experience? Now I'm wondering what to do with my chemical lifeline. Should my doctor increase the dose or change the medication?

TIA!

teej
19-12-13, 15:32
Is it worth an admin moving this into the citalopram forum?

How much were you taking?

Did you taper off? You could be having SSRI discontinuation syndrome.

Did the side effects dampen down at all?

Citalopram is sadly not a quick fix. I'm 7 weeks in and still quite a bit up and down but they are helping me a lot.

Bullets4all
19-12-13, 17:09
Is it worth an admin moving this into the citalopram forum?

How much were you taking?

Did you taper off? You could be having SSRI discontinuation syndrome.

Did the side effects dampen down at all?

Citalopram is sadly not a quick fix. I'm 7 weeks in and still quite a bit up and down but they are helping me a lot.

Thanks for the response.

I was on 20mg. The side effects faded but they lasted about 2 weeks after I stopped taking the tablets.

ElizabethJane
19-12-13, 19:10
Are you taking mirtazapine? If so I might be able to help you? EJ

Bullets4all
19-12-13, 19:21
Are you taking mirtazapine? If so I might be able to help you? EJ

Citalopram I'm afraid. Thanks for the kind offer :)

teej
20-12-13, 09:46
Unless your doctor has instructed you to stop taking your medication you should still be taking it. Citalopram is a long term treatment for the symptoms of anxiety and depression. It's not a cure but it certainly isn't a medication I'd want to be stopping and starting taking a lot.

I found it took 2-3 weeks for my start-up symptoms to abate and currently at 1.5 months of taking the drug I am finally feeling the benefits.

If you abruptly cease taking the drug you will possibly experience SSRI discontinuation symptoms. These apparently can be managed by tapering off the drug but that's something your doctor should advise upon, if and when your doctor has decided for you to stop taking your medication.

Now I'm wondering what to do with my chemical lifeline. Should my doctor increase the dose or change the medication?

It sounds like you really need to get in touch with Doctor as only they can decide this for you.