PDA

View Full Version : Debating cancelling doctors appointment?

LF87
19-12-13, 21:17
Hi all,

I wrote a while ago about being worried about my head. I had a bad headache a few weeks ago which scared me, was a sharp burst of pain then quickly went away. I read about 'icepick headaches', and it sounded pretty similar. However since then I have fixated on headaches/pains. I've not really had any other symptoms since then other than twinges, or mild headaches, so I feel bad/silly going to the doctors about it. I waited three weeks for this particular appointment, and I'm worried if I don't go, I'll miss my opportunity for a talk with my GP about it and potentially put my mind at rest.
My worry is, that with my Mum's history, (benign brain tumour, and more recently an aneurysm caused by the treatment she was receiving to shrink said tumour), she'll refer me for an MRI. I know for a lot of people on here that would be kind of a good thing in terms of putting your mind at ease, but for me the idea is just absolutely horrendous. I would be in an absolute state waiting for it, Christmas would be ruined and I'd have myself going through a possibly unnecessary ordeal. Christmas this year is so important to me and my family, because of my mum being so poorly this time last year. I am really scared this appointment may not go in my favour, and I might be better off leaving it, and dealing with the uncertainty until after Christmas maybe.
My GP is also very aware of my health anxiety, as she was the one who referred me to the psychologist I am currently seeing. So she could just say, you're ok, these are normal headaches, to which I'd be genuinely pleased and I don't think I'd obsess any further over it, and have a much happier time with my family.
I'm just wondering if anyone has any advice on what I should do with my predicament? Cancel it, and continue to ponder until after Christmas, or go, and hope that she doesn't refer me for an MRI?
Thanks xx

hangingbasket
19-12-13, 21:20
If you cancel the appointment, are you going to worry all over Christmas anyway BECAUSE you cancelled it? I know I would.

Personally I would go and discuss my worries, because there's every chance you'll walk out of there with no referral and no worries :)