PDA

View Full Version : The Daily Mail - avoid this thread if you're highly anxious

skippy66
19-12-13, 23:02
I've created this thread to expose the Daily Mail for what it is - a ridiculous scaremongering nightmare for anyone suffering from health anxiety. This thread is designed to be a kind of exposure therapy so it has not been created for anyone whose anxiety is currently ultra-high. This is for people who are battling with HA and have had some small wins already. By posting loads of these articles it will make you see that the Mail scaremongers to gain website hits, always finding the rarest of exceptions to focus on and create a dramatic story from. This will remove the fear from such articles and make you better long-term.

So, the task is this: go and copy/paste the most scaremongering story you can find from the Daily Mail website. Tip: in order to find such articles you can do typical HA searches but add 'mail' or 'mailonline' at the end of the search.

Who can find the most scaremongering article? Maybe I could give a prize to the winner...

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:56 ----------

Sod it, I've just found this - read it and laugh: http://www.anorak.co.uk/288298/scare-stories/the-daily-mails-list-of-things-that-give-you-cancer-from-a-to-z.html/

cherrypie26
20-12-13, 12:07
I totally agree. The dailymail are the worst. I have read stuff on there that has scared me so much!

Fishmanpa
20-12-13, 12:43
I've created this thread to expose the Daily Mail for what it is - a ridiculous scaremongering nightmare for anyone suffering from health anxiety. This thread is designed to be a kind of exposure therapy so it has not been created for anyone whose anxiety is currently ultra-high. This is for people who are battling with HA and have had some small wins already. By posting loads of these articles it will make you see that the Mail scaremongers to gain website hits, always finding the rarest of exceptions to focus on and create a dramatic story from. This will remove the fear from such articles and make you better long-term.

So, the task is this: go and copy/paste the most scaremongering story you can find from the Daily Mail website. Tip: in order to find such articles you can do typical HA searches but add 'mail' or 'mailonline' at the end of the search.

Who can find the most scaremongering article? Maybe I could give a prize to the winner...

---------- Post added at 23:02 ---------- Previous post was at 22:56 ----------

Sod it, I've just found this - read it and laugh: http://www.anorak.co.uk/288298/scare-stories/the-daily-mails-list-of-things-that-give-you-cancer-from-a-to-z.html/

I just read a news story on Yahoo about contaminated chicken....

http://news.yahoo.com/report-finds-contamination-most-chicken-sold-us-185808370.html

This story brought to you by the National Cattleman's Beef Association ;)

Positive thoughts

lfc65
20-12-13, 13:16
Just read through your Anorak link. Sex with Sparrows, lmao - has made my day!The Daily Mail has become a national joke with its scaremongering. Should be avoided at all costs if going through a bad HA patch.

katesa
20-12-13, 13:52
Oh the daily mail.

I'm just waiting for a story about the 8 year old who died of a heart attack because the gay doctors were too busy going to Kylie Minogue concerts and all the foreigners kept taking the appointments.

Fishmanpa
20-12-13, 14:32
Oh the daily mail.

I'm just waiting for a story about the 8 year old who died of a heart attack because the gay doctors were too busy going to Kylie Minogue concerts and all the foreigners kept taking the appointments.

I heard they were too busy twerking! ;)

Positive thoughts and ~lol~

katesa
20-12-13, 15:59
I heard they were too busy twerking! ;)

Positive thoughts and ~lol~

I thought that was you and Chris?

Fishmanpa
20-12-13, 16:42
I thought that was you and Chris?

Damn! You are feeling better aren't you?! ~lol~

Positive thoughts

katesa
21-12-13, 00:10
Damn! You are feeling better aren't you?! ~lol~

Positive thoughts

I'd be even better if I could find the video on Youtube.

It's a slow night this side of the world :D

Shivmarie
24-12-13, 15:55
Yeah like the guy that died from ear ache that was an infection that 'could of been solved with antibiotics' I read this when I had two perforated eardrums, a right ear infection and a slight left one too. Needless to say I was incredibly anxious afterwards. Considering I've had ear infections since July I started thinking all sorts.
*******S.

Munchlet
24-12-13, 20:28
I went to the GP a few months ago about a whole host of concerns I had after reading several articles in the daily mail!

Her response was that everything in there was a load of rubbish and to never read it again.

She said if she had a pound everytime one of her patients was concerned about a Daily Mail article she would have retired years ago!!

So I don't read them now, they scared me half to death at the time but I steer well clear now.

Gotagetthroughthis
24-12-13, 21:39
I was at work looking through the daily mail website as you do when I came across this article:

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-2526807/Dont-panic-New-study-says-greater-anxiety-likely-stroke.html?ITO=1490&ns_mchannel=rss&ns_campaign=1490

Please do not read it if you have health anxiety or your anxiety is bad in any way at the moment. I read the daily mail quite a lot and the amount of extreme scary medical stories in there is ridiculous.

yenool
25-12-13, 07:55
I hate the Mail's 'health' stories. They are always either scare stories or one sided hatchet jobs painting the NHS nurses and doctors as lazy and incompetent anytime ANYTHING goes wrong.

Headlines you will never see:

"OVERPAID INCOMPETENT GP FAILS TO DIAGNOSE EXTREMELY RARE DISEASE WITHIN 5 SECONDS OF THE CONSULTATION STARTING".

"EVIL LAZY NURSES LEAVE 30 YEAR OLD ABLE-BODIED DAY-PATIENT WITHOUT WATER FOR OVER AN HOUR BECAUSE THEY WERE ATTENDING TO A CRITICALLY ILL 90 YEAR OLD WAR HERO".

"ARROGANT DEGREE NURSES ARE TOO POSH TO WASH! - NURSEY NOW THINKS AS IT IS A NURSES JOB TO DO COMPLEX, DANGEROUS AND LIFE SAVING TASKS LIKE MIXING AND ADMINISTERING I.V MEDICATIONS, PERHAPS THE HCAs SHOULD TAKE CARE OF WASHING AND FEEDING THE PATIENT WHEN SHE IS TOO BUSY".

etc, etc.

lfc65
26-12-13, 16:15
Yes they certainly seem to despise the NHS. I would like to gather all their ridiculous "journalists" up and ship them off to a country where there's either no health care at all or somewhere you have to pay for it or have a good insurance policy. We don't know how lucky we are in this country - yes there's the very occasional mistake but its a tiny proportion. Their latest scare is about Christmas dinner giving you cancer, so most of the population are doomed!

Uncertain27
31-12-13, 03:22
There was one on there today called "How long do YOU have left to live?" WTAF?! :ohmy:

anea194
01-11-15, 19:14
Had a dreadful day reading the bloody daily mail saying that anxious people die younger than non anxious people. Found your thread and felt a bit better. Did anyone read that?

MyNameIsTerry
02-11-15, 01:46
I find it interesting that Admin delete threads like this on the HA board yet this one has remained so I guess the trick is to post it on certain people's threads which are approved.

Anyway, the Russell Howard sketch about newspapers in general and all the ways to get cancer was a good one. Basically breathing, living, being a man or a woman, etc.

Phill2
02-11-15, 01:54
I've heard there's a phone app out now that will tell you whether or not you'll live through the next 7 yrs
I don't want to know about it

MyNameIsTerry
02-11-15, 05:43
I've heard there's a phone app out now that will tell you whether or not you'll live through the next 7 yrs
I don't want to know about it

Yeah, I bet there is. There have been websites around for years that do that too. There was a funny episode of The IT Crowd where Roy did it and it told him he would die on Thursday ay 3:30pm. Then he had to go to a funeral that day. It was funny. :D

---------- Post added at 05:43 ---------- Previous post was at 05:39 ----------

Had a dreadful day reading the bloody daily mail saying that anxious people die younger than non anxious people. Found your thread and felt a bit better. Did anyone read that?

I haven't read the article yet but the thing is - what risk factors are there? It's common that a high % of people with certain mental health problems don't exercise, eat poorly, can be overweight or obese, have additional physical health problems (that may have caused their anxiety), etc. All these things can & will affect mortality rates.

Isn't it common sense though? Spending your days anxious puts a strain on the body. Whilst the organs of our bodies are tough, can they withstand such a pounding for 100 years? Everything with anxiety is about chemical reaction, it's not "all in the head" since everything we feel & do is based on chemicals. They have to be eliminated so the more we produce, the harder the liver has to work. Isn't this the best case to look at healthy behaviours and change diets and commit to exercise? Each of these healthy factors is going to potentially increase your life expectancy and hopefully help with the anxiety too. :yesyes:

paranoid-viking
23-11-16, 13:34
Something you will never find in The Daily Drivel: "Cancer scaremongering worsend his/her health anxiety". Although that is true.

axolotl
23-11-16, 13:44
To be honest if I was worried about something and then saw it in the Daily Mail it would help be believe it was b***cks!

MyNameIsTerry
23-11-16, 13:59
Something you will never find in The Daily Drivel: "Cancer scaremongering worsend his/her health anxiety". Although that is true.

I'm still waiting on "reading newspapers can give you cancer" :winks:

If it weren't for the loss in sales, I wouldn't put it past them.

Have you seen Russell Howard's sketch about them? It's funny and shows how they have reported pretty much everything in life will give it to you.

---------- Post added at 13:59 ---------- Previous post was at 13:59 ----------

To be honest if I was worried about something and then saw it in the Daily Mail it would help be believe it was b***cks!

Nice therapy technique! :yesyes: